Bare necessities

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzack605

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to get into climbing and a few guys at work are offering to help me after work, as well as promises from work to train but that will likely wait until winter when PHC slows down/shuts down. I’m looking to get myself some of the necessities to just get in some trees and move around. To get comfortable.

So far my list is:
Harness/saddle
Lanyard
Helmet
Rope
A few carabiners

Am I missing anything? Any suggestions? My biggest question/advice I’m looking for is the saddle. I’m being told a bridge is the way to go, and after seeing how they work they just make sense to me to have.

Thanks!

I’m looking to get into climbing and a few guys at work are offering to help me after work, as well as promises from work to train but that will likely wait until winter when PHC slows down/shuts down. I’m looking to get myself some of the necessities to just get in some trees and move around. To get comfortable.

So far my list is:
Harness/saddle
Lanyard
Helmet
Rope
A few carabiners

Am I missing anything? Any suggestions? My biggest question/advice I’m looking for is the saddle. I’m being told a bridge is the way to go, and after seeing how they work they just make sense to me to have.

Thanks!
What about climbing spurs?

I see no need as I don’t plan on doing removals and wouldn’t wear them for what will essentially be recreational climbing.

When I start doing climbing side work they’ll be a necessity.

If you're rec climbing you'll need everything for SRT or it will be the hardest thing you've ever done. You'll need a throwline and a few different size throwbags to set your line with. Get several sets. You'll get one stuck from time to time. And a cube to store it in. For SRT you'll need a Rope Wrench. It's the cheapest way to start. I use it regularly even though I have several mechanicals. A couple of eye to eyes and a Hitchclimber pulley. A foot ascender is a must and a knee ascender will make it very easy. Tend with a lanyard over the shoulder or buy a $15 chest box. I wear mine all day. Never know it's there. At least one friction saver. That will get you in the tree and moving around some. I also recommend a Quickie. I keep two and use both every day. They're perfect for base ties and top ties.

If you don't get a rope with an eye splice you'll be ordering one after a few climbs. Make the $25 investment and save some money.

The cheaper saddles with the webbing bridges ate bulletproof and really no maintenance. But not as comfortable. The rope bridge saddles will be more comfortable but the bridges have to be inspected and replaced often. My Cougar was nearly $40 to replace. I done a Liger conversion. Now it's a great saddle and bridge replacement is about $4. The Tree Motion saddles are about $20 to change.

Latest posts

Back