Dump Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I probably win the prize for the ugliest truck.

Yes, that's a parking lot repair. Starter went out.
It's a GMC. That's what they do. I couldn't find a Ford.

54520226_10218267121094545_1122966461359325184_o.jpg

upload_2019-4-4_19-13-26.png

I probably win the prize for the ugliest truck.

Yes, that's a parking lot repair. Starter went out.
It's a GMC. That's what they do. I couldn't find a Ford.

54520226_10218267121094545_1122966461359325184_o.jpg

View attachment 727882

Nope.

It looks kick ass!!

I love them old chevy’s !!

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Giga Tires has 900 x 20 or 1000 x 20 tires delivered to your door steps for $200 each. I do not remember if they are traction or highway, but $200 a tire is very reasonable. Thanks

Never looked into it beyond all the tire shops in the state. Between the shipping and then the shop dealing with a liner, tube and tire, it wasn't cost effective vs changing to 22.5 wheels. Now the trucks I had were std 10 lug.
Also watch out for the old "widow maker" RH-5 wheels. My buddy has a 72 or 73 Chevy C50 that has those. Most tire places won't touch them. Note these are not the "2 piece wheels" that 20" wheels usually are, those are much safer... they are an older design.

That truck has a 5 lug pattern and wheel offset that isn't common either so not easy to swap to a newer 20" or better yet a 22.5.

I can’t do anything about the terminology of Texas firewood. that’s just how it is plain and simple. I deliver atleast as much as folks who burn lots of wood expect when they call for a “cord” . When I hauled to the big yards on the cap they had posts in the ground 4’ tall or less and 16’ long. Folks build their wood racks 4’ tall and 8 or 16 long. My stack size is always listed in any advertisement I do. I’ll gladly cut it 2’ long if someone can handle it, I sell several of those a year. Can you buy 3/4 cord or whatever of hardwood delivered and stacked for $175? Right or wrong I can’t sell wood based on any other measurement without mass confusion. It’s hard enough to compete with the other guys around here who’s stacks are 3.5 tall and 16 long if that when I have extra wood not sold to regulars.

We are at $285 a cord for green, $385 for seasoned plus delivery if over 10 miles. Don't normally stack, but the rare times we do it's $30/hr per man hr.
We did about 500 cords last year out of this yard. I was limited with only have 1 dumptruck road ready, there were times where I had time to make more wood, but the truck was tied up waiting for a customer.
Also do logging so that ties up some time too.

I put about 15,000 miles on my dumptruck last year doing deliveries, most of those trips were 20-80 miles round trip. A couple were 150-200 miles.

Well tell me what a 2x4 actually measures out to? I aint saying you are wrong at all . But why is this?

What do you mean by a 2x4? A 2ft tall x 4ft wide stack of wood with 16" lengths? That would be 10.6 cu ft, so 0.08 of a cord.

-Just to make a little correction about what a cord of wood weighs. A cord of dry, pine, will weight between 2-3000lbs. A cord of of dry white oak will weight around 4200lbs, but about 5600lbs green and wet. Just estimateing the weight of the ton truck with dump be to be around 10,000 lbs and a 2 cord of green oak at 11,200 lbs that would make the gross weight right at 21,000lbs. Thats a lot for a ton truck, esp since the gvwr on that truck is only around 10,000 lbs. Probably wont be a real problem since it would be hard to stack two full cords of anything on a ton truck with 10ft bed unless the side boards reach a long way above the cab.
Our C30 with 12 foot stake body was tagged at 17,000 pounds. Two cord of Oak would put the squish on it. 350 had plenty power, disc brakes put the whoa power on it, was a great little truck. We also had a C50, 12 foot, with 5 foot steel sides. It was slow, but you couldn’t over load it. With Armstrong power steering and 2-60 AC, it was a beast to drive. Then we bought a new 78 F600, what a world of difference. Power everything. I put 3 cord on it once and it pulled it fine. But, Dad went with the little 330 V8 and it was slow.

Fluid film is your friend.

Spray once a year and rust will never appear.
That rhymes and it’s the truth[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might be able to slow down the rust but you can’t stop it. I’ve been doing bodywork for 30 years and using fluid film for ten. There’s really nothing magical about it. Pretty much any kind of oil will work. Most of the rust starts from the inside and due to multi layer construction of modern vehicles you just can’t coat every surface no matter how hard you try.

The only way to prevent rust in the rust belt is to leave.

K

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Latest posts

Back