Just looking for a basic rope......?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlMaster88

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I don't do this professionally or anything but I would like an all around rope that I would tie to a small tree to help pull it in the direction I want, a rope that I could use to lower a branch. My friend has one but not sure what it is 3/8" or 1/2" about 100 feet long more of a clothy look and feel. I want something I could tie knots in but then take out . When I look at rigging ropes there are so many options. any advice would help

Samson True Blue. 1/2 inch will be around 7,000 lbs. It's pretty cheap. Blue Streak is good too. I still use it quite a bit.

If you're going to be running the rope through a natural crotch, use a 12/16 strand braided OR 3 strand style rope. 3 strand will want to spin the load while suspended as it wants to untwist itself, but it's far cheaper and more durable.

Double braid OR 24 strand do not like being run through natural crotches.

A very good rigging rope is Samson Stable Braid. I use the 1/2" for commercial work. It's pricey, about $1/foot retail, but I usually pay less when on sale at Bailey's. You can get 1/2" in 150' length, maybe 120'. Better to have stronger rope than you need than to find out your rope isn't up to the task.

I use rope not only for pulling trees and rigging top portions to the ground, but also for skidding logs and trees in the woods.

Arbor Plex is a great all around economy rigging rope but is not as strong as others mentioned. If you planned on doing alot of heavy skidding with this rope you may want to go to 5/8" as I have broken 1/2" Arbor Plex skidding.

True Blue is another great rope but for almost the same price I prefer 1/2" Stable Braid as it is much stronger. I haven't had a problem with lighter load natural crotch rigging (branches only) with Stable Braid.

I highly recommend getting 150' length of rope minimum.

I don't do this professionally or anything but I would like an all around rope that I would tie to a small tree to help pull it in the direction I want, a rope that I could use to lower a branch. My friend has one but not sure what it is 3/8" or 1/2" about 100 feet long more of a clothy look and feel. I want something I could tie knots in but then take out . When I look at rigging ropes there are so many options. any advice would help
Maybe you can search on ebay or Amazon!

Back