Boots boots boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robthetreemanct

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This past fall I had to retire my Phanner Zermats after about 2 years of daily climbing and I want to replace them for this upcoming season. My hoffman dri lines are great for removals and everyday work but what are you guys wearing? Was looking at the Haix airpower xr200 seems light but still enough heel to hold a spur if need be.

I really like the Keen boots. They last me close to two years of every day pruning and removals and they are light like sneakers.

I really like Asolo Neutron boots. They are pretty reasonable price on Sierra Trading. They hold up really well and are very comfortable. Not my "go to" boots for climbing, but I'll use them for a quickie because I have them on every day. (I actually have 2 pair and switch back and forth - letting boots dry out between wearing them really extends the life - original pair is going on 3 years of every other day use). Also wore them backpacking down and up the Grand Canyon with no boot-related discomfort.

I have had several pair of Keen Targhee. Super comfortable boots (probably even more so than the Asolos). They are grippy in the tree and a little more flexible, but they just don't hold up. They cost 80% of what the Asolo costs, but last less than 1/4 of the time.

For climbing, I have Drayer Tango Light boots. They are great in the tree, but not all that comfortable on the ground. I change into them as I'm clipping into the rope and take them off pretty quick once I get down. Besides not wearing less comfortable boots walking around, I also have dry soles with no mud on them. They are more expensive, so this will make them last longer as well.

But this is all spikeless climbing, so I don't need a big heel on them. The Asolo or Drayer both hold spikes, but I wouldn't want to spend all day in them! I almost never use spikes...even on the few removals I do.

The majority of my work is heavy removals. I can and have spent all day on spurs from one tree to the next. I try and wear a boot geared for spurs that can also keep me fairly agile for a quick prune.

I really like Asolo Neutron boots. They are pretty reasonable price on Sierra Trading. They hold up really well and are very comfortable. Not my "go to" boots for climbing, but I'll use them for a quickie because I have them on every day. (I actually have 2 pair and switch back and forth - letting boots dry out between wearing them really extends the life - original pair is going on 3 years of every other day use). Also wore them backpacking down and up the Grand Canyon with no boot-related discomfort.

I have had several pair of Keen Targhee. Super comfortable boots (probably even more so than the Asolos). They are grippy in the tree and a little more flexible, but they just don't hold up. They cost 80% of what the Asolo costs, but last less than 1/4 of the time.

For climbing, I have Drayer Tango Light boots. They are great in the tree, but not all that comfortable on the ground. I change into them as I'm clipping into the rope and take them off pretty quick once I get down. Besides not wearing less comfortable boots walking around, I also have dry soles with no mud on them. They are more expensive, so this will make them last longer as well.

But this is all spikeless climbing, so I don't need a big heel on them. The Asolo or Drayer both hold spikes, but I wouldn't want to spend all day in them! I almost never use spikes...even on the few removals I do.

then my boot experiences don't apply!

Though, I like the Asolos so much, I'd still get a pair of those for everyday wear (and small prunes) then wear the "spiking boots" for when you are wearing the hooks. A really good pair isn't going to be cheap - no need wearing them down pounding the pavement or dragging brush. Plus, I think your feet will probably be more comfortable in a decent hiking boot than they will in boots designed for spikes. It takes less than a minute to change boots and I think your wallet and feet will thank you for it in the long-term!

I like the arb pro evos for everything. Not the greatest in hooks but I've spent many 8hr days in hooks with them.
I've got some heavy scarpa mountain boots that rock in hooks that I'll break out on real heavy days.
I got away from loggers a few years ago and haven't looked back.
La sportiva makalus are a great all arounder too if you're in hooks alot.

I am. I live in Bethany. I run a crew for a local guy during the week and freelance on the weekends around the state.
Nice! I'm from Stamford and run my own tree care bizz here at lower Fairfield County. You go to CTPA in Plantsville?

I have meindle airstreams, they’re definitely the best I’ve tried, I’m on my second pair and will likely order a third when they wear out. There durable, good in the hooks, and good without em.

my Danners Powerline high boots costed $500 and lasted me over 8 years of abuse. Nothing broken, just worn out. Leaned that they discontinued it long time ago, very sad. Looking for a new pair. Saw some Carolina high lineman's boots for just over 200 buck. wondering if they are any good. all made in the US

my Danners Powerline high boots costed $500 and lasted me over 8 years of abuse. Nothing broken, just worn out. Leaned that they discontinued it long time ago, very sad. Looking for a new pair. Saw some Carolina high lineman's boots for just over 200 buck. wondering if they are any good. all made in the US
I wear hoffman dri lines for the most part but needs a lighter boot for prune days

Latest posts

Back