Stihl MS461 original piston price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickC

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I need a new piston, in the UK they are equivalent to $137.....

Part 1128 030 2051

I can get a Meteor for $49

Just curious if anyone has bought a genuine Stihl recently from a US dealer?

Thanks.

Thanks Guys,

I'm sure I read a post somewhere saying one was bought for around $45, must have been an old thread.

£104? The old one has cleaned up remarkably well...

They're more than that now. Several years ago they lowered the price but it didn't stay that way for long. About $100 now

2 years ago I got a 660 piston from my dealer. I believe under 50$. Ordered a 44mm for a 026 last week at a hearty 72$ [emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 461 is different to the 460.

When I opened it up I was gutted as it looked rough, however some judicious cleaning up and it really surprised me how well it came out. The damage must have only been microns deep.
IMG_20190403_200828.jpg IMG_20190404_160043.jpg

Looks like a set o' rings and he can use the one he pulled out unless he got overly aggressive with the cleanup. I've found 20 micron lapping paper to be about as aggressive as I like to get on any piston clean up. Can knock down ridges and clean scuffing without removing a ton of material and even leaves the machining marks if one is very patient and proceeds carefully.

But I wouldn't think twice about using a Meteor. 'Bout half the price and very high quality.

Thanks.

I was careful not to remove any more material than needed. I used a fine diamond lap to just touch over the area and identify any highs, there wasn't any to speak of. Then took a piece of used 1200 grit paper to gently go over it, and a swipe with some used red scotch. All in the direction of the machining and an ultasonic clean.

There are a couple of tiny pits left, you can just feel them with your nail. Close up through a loupe.

I put a micrometer on it and the damaged area is bigger than the other edge of the skirt.

Attachments

• IMG_20190404_160242.jpg
    IMG_20190404_160242.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 7
It's a bit painful that a German company selling an Italian made piston charges nearly twice as much in the UK than in the USA!

But your market is much bigger, I expect Stihl sell more pistons over there in a week than they do in a year here. But you can't help thinking if they kept the prices more sensible people would be less inclined to buy the copies?

Having said that the spares prices here are generally very reasonable, and the availability of spares including old saw parts is fantastic. Just the piston and cylinders seem very expensive...

Dealer cost or aftermarket, maybe. Or you have a very nice Stihl dealer who really, really likes you. Or you are the dealer. That piston is $93 retail and hasn't been below $70 since 2016..., and most of those prices are well below U.S. retail. Not a very realistic price list for the rest of us.

And for anyone outside the greater possumtrot metro area who doesn't have access to those prices, buying the whole gasket set (which includes the seals) is cheaper than buying everything individually. The whole gasket kit is $35 and the seals alone are $28.50 at an honest dealer who doesn't gouge. Same applies to most any saw. Always check the kit price before buying individual seals.

Back