Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have to try those barks, got lots of it around from my milling, I usually don't bother with bark.

I was actually thinking of taking the Shag Bark Hickory bark and soaking it (fill my canoe) and see it I could weave pack baskets with it. (use a small square garbage can as a template) It seems like real tough stuff!
The bark is almost as tough as the wood.

Well and here I thought you were gonna tell us he talked about your brother, your sister, or one of your dogs in it lol.

no chipper - but I haven't looked at all the pictures. some are omg amazing. I may find the breed in one of the pix, though... I bet it would be a good book to have in your library!! :reading:

Dont know never burned it with the bark on. Some of its falling off now the rest will fall off when I take it off the racks to burn this coming winter. I honestly dont pay attention to how much ash is in the stove as are old stove has a grate and ash pan that are actually useful. So emptying the ash while its burning is no problem.

hello JM - when I do that I have to use a metal pail. not so much while burning, but morning after in one of my fireplaces. embers and metal get along well, embers and plastic do not! can I say it again? do not! lol....

I will have to try those barks, got lots of it around from my milling, I usually don't bother with bark.

I was actually thinking of taking the Shag Bark Hickory bark and soaking it (fill my canoe) and see it I could weave pack baskets with it. (use a small square garbage can as a template) It seems like real tough stuff!

me, too! I just hope it stays on the stix. but, some bigger pce do come off. when I clean up, I usually save the bigger ones. or if the wood gets old, they come off ezily -

Went for another Scrounge out in the Pines, seems to burn well and put out good heat. Also got some bone broth cooking on the heater, been there 24hrs so far and will let it go another 24 I guess.:sweet:

qI6u6xvl.jpg

that should get all the flavor out of the bone marrow, and the marrow out of the bones, too! can u UPS NDA me some? :)

seems this year is a good one for the Texas bluebonnets. mine on my place are vibrant and cast off an exciting color blue. deeper and richer than last couple of years. each flower's petal/flower will produce a small pod like a bean. 2-3" long. then it will dry in the hot Texas sun. turns green pod into tan dried and crispy! and twists in shape a bit. then goes into tension. then when the time is right, POP!... and the plants then spit out their seeds. cast them up to 10' away or more. POP!... I have sat in the bluebonnet patches at that time and on a warm sunny afternoon, one can hear them go pop!... silence... pop!...pop! pop!... one right after another.

today working in the garden, we have Bluebonnets there, too here in town... noticed a bunch a flowers have already podded up. will soon be turning tan. we harvest the seeds in town about that time.

flowers to pods, pods to seeds shot out and now pods empty... by the billions, all over the state of Texas. other places, too.
zbba.jpg zbb.jpg

billions of plants! each one dozens of pods. each pod 8 or more at times seeds. cast out 10' or more, and also inside circle and at base of plant. u can see how a single bird drop can produce an entire pasture of bluebonnets with self-propagation year after year. I have seen many pastures just like this one. totally solid carpet of Texas bluebonnets...
zbbb.jpg

the season for them mostly over by end of April early May, depending upon spring rains... and fall rains to get them started. they are designed by nature to survive heavy droughts, then germinate when wetter weather arrives. as the Texas state flower, they are a really big deal down here. many hiways littered with them N-S, E-W! all across the state, especially in rural areas. I see zillions currently along the roads I travel to ranch... once out past Houston.

Finished Summer school.
- 6200' of 1x4 lumber to send off to the machinists to air-dry and run into decking
- a few trailer loads of 2x lumber and a few slabs for my own furniture projects over Winter 2020
- two piles of green logs for next season's firewood
- and this lot of firewood. The supersplit loves E.saligna but every now and then the E.fastigata would have slightly spiralled and interlocked grain, which slowed things down a bit.

end.jpg

Onto the next job on Tuesday. It's a really dodgy one with trees leaning out over a state highway. What could possibly go wrong ;-)

that should get all the flavor out of the bone marrow, and the marrow out of the bones, too! can u UPS NDA me some? :)

:laugh: Yeah it certainly has, I'm on my 2nd batch of making it at the moment so I'm getting the most out of the bones I can tell ya.

And it tastes beautiful, I just add a few veggies and some meat - YUM!:D

:laugh: Yeah it certainly has, I'm on my 2nd batch of making it at the moment so I'm getting the most out of the bones I can tell ya.

And it tastes beautiful, I just add a few veggies and some meat - YUM!:D

I hear you pal! 48 hours is more than I ever cooked a soup. but 10-12 hrs is not. :) I have these leeks in my garden. 4 of them. soon I will be making a leek potato soup with beef. boneless, i'd prefer bones with lots marrow... but still, should be old-country authentic! family recipe. well, enjoy your fare. I enjoyed hearing about it. post up a pix or two... soup, bones n marrow etc. vegs.

soon to be potato leek soup with 48 hour cooked beef shoulder chunks!! ok, haha... how about 2 out of 3! ??
P9140022.JPG

So your still reading it 8yrs later :reading:, or were you slow on making it an immediate success lol.
Waiting on the reference, this better be good BL :popcorn2:.

oic, got it. well... do u need a clue? makes me chuckle pretty good... :laughing: knowing and u not. as in close but no cigar! ;)

Finished Summer school.
- 6200' of 1x4 lumber to send off to the machinists to air-dry and run into decking
- a few trailer loads of 2x lumber and a few slabs for my own furniture projects over Winter 2020
- two piles of green logs for next season's firewood
- and this lot of firewood. The supersplit loves E.saligna but every now and then the E.fastigata would have slightly spiralled and interlocked grain, which slowed things down a bit.

View attachment 728211

Onto the next job on Tuesday. It's a really dodgy one with trees leaning out over a state highway. What could possibly go wrong ;-)
You’ve been very busy. Wish I was helping you, burn off some of this winter fat I put on.

You’ve been very busy. Wish I was helping you, burn off some of this winter fat I put on.

imo, that wood pile would be a good candidate for NW - all ready now to start stacking into beehive, bird, fish or some interesting design.

wish I had a delivered load of it! lol -

I hear you pal! 48 hours is more than I ever cooked a soup. but 10-12 hrs is not. :) I have these leeks in my garden. 4 of them. soon I will be making a leek potato soup with beef. boneless, i'd prefer bones with lots marrow... but still, should be old-country authentic! family recipe. well, enjoy your fare. I enjoyed hearing about it. post up a pix or two... soup, bones n marrow etc. vegs.

soon to be potato leek soup with 48 hour cooked beef shoulder chunks!! ok, haha... how about 2 out of 3! ??
View attachment 728221

YUM I love potatoe and leek soup!:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Latest posts

Back