028 super worth fixing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn.54

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was looking in my basement and found a basket case 028 Super saw that my cousin dropped off for me to see if any parts would work with my saws. To get to what’s wrong he took it to dealership to see why it wouldn’t run and found out that his father in law dumped straight gas in it. It’s not seized but piston is all tore up would it be worth a after market rebuild kit plus a carburetor original is missing.
Shawn

Price it out, take it all apart, inspect it and make a list of what parts you need to fix it.
A 028 super is a good model. That’s the wood boss. If the cylinder cleans up you need a piston,?
I’m not sure how far you want to go into it but what about the crankbearings and seals. You need to split it to get the small piston particals out of the crankcase. Get a good piston, the rest from huztl.

I need to tear it down some more to make a complete list.
Top end kit: $100
Carb ?
Recoil starter 15
Assorted bolts. ?
Giving it a guess it would be about 250 plus my time which I do not count.
I don’t need another saw but a small saw may go well with my 390 with muffler mod and my 460 magnum both with 20” bars.
I have at times thought about a 24” bar for the magnum but decided to keep it simple with bars and chains.
Shawn

My father in law has one. Great saw. I had it rebuilt after my brother in law straight gassed it. Found a parts saw for 30 bucks locally, well worth it.

I’m leaning towards the fix it I could use a small saw for when it’s brushy and tight places.
I just don’t like the newer saws with all the EPA stuff on them.
Shawn

It feels very nimble and light when I run it. Great power/Weight.
Would make a nice limbing saw.

Dunno, sorry. We have a great 3rd generation shop guy who does our repair work in trade for firewood+.

Latest posts

Back