Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:laugh: Yeah it certainly has, I'm on my 2nd batch of making it at the moment so I'm getting the most out of the bones I can tell ya. And it tastes beautiful, I just add a few veggies and some meat - YUM!:D

well, bon appetite to you! anybody can cook some meat for a soup... hour by hour, or day by day... but what I particulary like is u r cooking it on ur wood stove. very log cabinish, imo! :) it's how D-ick Proenneke did it up at Twin Lakes, AK... moose and mtn sheep stew.

All of the Locusts are below Basswood, guess I'll have to start tossing the stuff in the burn pit?
That's funny.
From what I know it's right between red and white oak and I think honey locust is very close to white oak. What's nice about it is how easy it is to work, splits easy(if you can hit the same spot twice, go fiscars, cuts easy(if green even better), very few branches to deal with if it's in an established stand, it's light for the btu content because of the low water content which also means it seasons quick :clap:. What sucks about it is dealing with the ones that have thorns, and the splinters will drive you nuts, but in comparison to critters that will kill you I'll deal with it :D.

That's funny.
From what I know it's right between red and white oak and I think honey locust is very close to white oak. What's nice about it is how easy it is to work, splits easy(if you can hit the same spot twice, go fiscars, cuts easy(if green even better), very few branches to deal with if it's in an established stand, it's light for the btu content because of the low water content which also means it seasons quick :clap:. What sucks about it is dealing with the ones that have thorns, and the splinters will drive you nuts, but in comparison to critters that will kill you I'll deal with it :D.
I love all Locust, especially Black Locust. I set a piece aside in my garage to dry a bit. I cut some scales for a WWII vintage scout knife. It was a pre licensed knife, so the escutcheon just says Scout Knife, not BSA. It's a nice Camillus knife. the original escutcheon set on top of the scales. I plan on inlaying it. I also wanted to checker them, but a gun stock maker friend said he wouldn't try to checker Locust as a first attempt, wood is too hard. But the wood is free and my time is too so I may give it a try.

I found two of these in my wood pile. It's a juvenile Southern Black Widow. I checked and they do live in your neck of the woods. They might not suck all of the dead juice out of your body and dry out your skin and make a house out of it like some of those down under critters will, but they are still there.
ZwNXbJW.jpg

Latest posts

Back