anchor shackle as a pulley

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you use an anchor shackle as a pulley?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Haplo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
is there any reason why I shouldn't use an anchor shackle as a pulley? If i'm pulling a tree over, and the bull rope is going through a block on another tree and back through a mid-line bowline for a 3:1 pull, I want to put the shackle on the bowline so there's no rope friction at the bowline. Something like this has a 6500 lb WLL. And it's only $27. Why not use one on the anchor point also?
shackle.jpg

It'll work, but watch the bend radius and check how smooth the area where the rope will be running is, especially if being done on a regular basis.
I used a similar shackle once for a redirect of a pull line when I didn't have a proper block. We pulled with a vehicle, though, so I can't tell you how much it reduced the friction.

Yeah, the bend radius is an issue. So is the smoothness of the metal and whether it will fray the rope.

Also, if it is a screw in shackle, and not retained by a pin, the force of the moving rope with weight on it could cause the pin to unscrew.

I commonly use a shackle as an anchor redirecting my tipping line though it to a pulley for pulling tops or trees over. But if I had a spare pulley I wouldn't. Using human power pulling your not going to generate enough force that the bend radius will matter. Especially in a 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 configuration. If mechanical force or shock load is in the equation it's a different story .

Back