I’m thinking about milling this apple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kota looks like a great companion. Alert, smart and not afraid of going somewhere.

Keep us posted of what the wood looks like. I have a big cherry out in the orchard that is half dead, I will be dropping it later this spring and reserving the larger sections for milling.

Apple and the other fruit bearers make good wood for smoking meats & fish. Would be nice to have a chipper to run the smaller pieces through. I also use Maple (Pacific Big Leaf), Alder, Hickory and Mesquite.

Pork Ribs and my "Rib Drip Beans". Worth killing for!!

enhance

Turkey split in half. Note the water pan, keeps the meat from drying out. Easy pull off the bone with your fingers!

enhance

In the past I used Little Chief smokers, but they took a long time and needed an insulation box in the winter.

The one in the photos is gas fired, has a cast iron chip pan right above the burner and a water pan above the chip pan. Really smokes good! Excellent on Salmon also.

The water pan keeps the meats or fish from drying out.

I use a lot of alder. Years ago I obtained several hundred pounds of alder chips from the mill I worked in. Still have maybe 100 pounds left. Well cured. Dry chips are better than green.

I have several small saws, thinking about cleaning out the oil tank and bar & chain real good on one then using Canola oil for bar/chain lube to keep any petro oil residue away from the chips when sawing up small limbs.

That is a great smoker!!!!!!

I only put on a bit of BBA sauce the last few minutes. Most of the time with ribs I put on a little dry rub, nothing else.

My late fishing buddy had a great smoker, wish I had photos. Brick smoke house with a brick burning compartment, the smoke was ducted similar to your SS unit.

I have always wanted to build a brick smoke house, might do it this summer.

Does this look like a stannie? I used a metal brush to clean the sand paper on the sander and I’m thinking that was a bad idea and possibly caused this or maybe something else?66E18EEF-ABE1-4411-BEFE-ED10B267ED8B.jpeg69493E01-F746-45A7-9443-560DA507EEEA.jpeg i got most of this off when switching to a new belt D0AE7B24-4F55-4A86-A185-C4B6960022B6.jpegD91843B3-8092-4CE8-89E6-FB156FE565D7.jpeg

Looks like a great slab to me, any goods like that rotten area could be filled with clear poxy. If it’s not all the way through that’s what I would do.
Stuff is very expensive.
You could also use an opaque type of poxy as well I have seen people do that before then put clear on the top for the finale finish

What do you think about the rotted one? Will it mold? Or leave it for now?

If you have room stack those slabs horizontally 8-12” off the ground with blocking then place stickers in between (stacking the stickers above each other) and seal the ends with something like Anchorseal. That way the moisture will dry out through the flats not the end grain and reduce checking this slabs will be nice.

I’m working on building a wood shed in my head right now. For cooking wood and slabs. I wanna start stacking because my last apple I got in the winter started cupping a little. It’s only about a 15” wide slab and there’s about 1/4” easy in the center that’s low. I brought that wood inside after it was frozen tho. Might have warmed it up to fast. It’s actually in my house lol

Back