Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,,,,
Big sky here today so best take advantage of it !!!

ZxGVELx.jpg

Went to the pit today to block up some of the scrounged up hardwood that we had been hauling there to get that stuff ready for next winter and the winter after that .
Looks like we've got 7" to 10" of snow on the way Monday night into Tuesday so I drug a load of spruce and tamarack for the week .

mP7vYdg.jpg

FRe9Jqw.jpg

Scrounge on my friends !!!

Iv got to find this organic IPA!!

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Hit 18°C today. Most of the snow is gone except for the deep spots and north facing slopes. Got a couple rounds left to split and lots to stack and move. Pretty sure I have 2 more winters worth here split already. Just need to get it put where it needs to go.
b1ab61bd7f30b84aa524ffd11b2f8d7c.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Hit 18°C today. Most of the snow is gone except for the deep spots and north facing slopes. Got a couple rounds left to split and lots to stack and move. Pretty sure I have 2 more winters worth here split already. Just need to get it put where it needs to go.
b1ab61bd7f30b84aa524ffd11b2f8d7c.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

NICE!

I went out today with my mate and cut another load (smaller) than yesterday but it's nice wood that should burn hot (white gum I think) well seasoned - I think I can pretty much stop cutting wood for this season as I think I should have enough to see me through now, but I doubt I will as friends need wood still so no doubt I will be cutting it for them too.:chainsaw:

my recently scrounged oak got put to the supreme test today! passed with flying colors. had camp fire going all day long as I worked out under the outside covered section of my shop, open sides... fire burned hot and well thru our big rainstorm today. I had my roll around wood pile up under some trees but still... when u get 1" in 45 minutes... everything gets at least a little bit wet. :rolleyes: even the wetted wood burned just fine!

close to 90f mid week they say...

sounds like campfire weather to me!!! :D

I went out today with my mate and cut another load (smaller) than yesterday but it's nice wood that should burn hot (white gum I think) well seasoned - I think I can pretty much stop cutting wood for this season as I think I should have enough to see me through now, but I doubt I will as friends need wood still so no doubt I will be cutting it for them too.:chainsaw:

What about next years wood ?

One of the benefits of being known to have big saws is that even in a wood burning town, people come to you to deal with big stuff that their little saws struggle with. An old client of mine popped in to work late last week with that problem. Sure, I said, I'll take care of it.

7th Apr 2.jpg

Unfortunately, it is my least favourite eucalypt in our area, e. ovata or swamp gum. Not that dense but a bit more ashy and not that easy to split either. This particular one had a termite pipe up through it as well. Still...

7th Apr 3.jpg

It was about 25 inches at the base.

7th Apr 4.jpg

At least the hollowness made it a bit easier to split.

7th Apr 5.jpg

The owner pointed out a few other reasonably solid smaller logs so they came home too.

7th Apr 6.jpg

A bit over 1.5 cubes all up and the difference between pulling a load of green wood with the Subaru vs the Ranger was dramatic. Very pleased with it so far. There were a few stray bits of peppermint (below left) there as well which will go in the heater when the next cold front comes through tomorrow.

7th Apr 12.jpg

Once this has dried a bit I'll prolly take it down to my brother in Melbourne. As far as he is concerned, free wood is good wood and he can't tell the difference anyway.

:)

Let go of your sheep

And just to clarify. Its a signature from a truck forum im on.
But specifically a 30,000 post thread on that forum iv been a big part of for years about oil. Redline is an oil brand. Truck is a RAM. Signature should make sense now. [emoji1787]

And just to clarify. Its a signature from a truck forum im on.
But specifically a 30,000 post thread on that forum iv been a big part of for years about oil. Redline is an oil brand. Truck is a RAM. Signature should make sense now. [emoji1787]

I got it. Ran there stuff in my AWD DSM.

Highly valuable black walnut and a few sticks of oak from the father in law's (actually from his neighbor, but he has a pile at of least 4 loads this size there for me.) Oh, and his truck... And hydraulic ramp trailer... And John Deere 4300 with loader and box blade...View attachment 728519
prolly could sell that truckload for at least $1,000. :laughing:

my recently scrounged oak got put to the supreme test today! passed with flying colors. had camp fire going all day long as I worked out under the outside covered section of my shop, open sides... fire burned hot and well thru our big rainstorm today. I had my roll around wood pile up under some trees but still... when u get 1" in 45 minutes... everything gets at least a little bit wet. :rolleyes: even the wetted wood burned just fine!

close to 90f mid week they say...

sounds like campfire weather to me!!! :D

I never worry too much about the majority of the wood getting wet, so long as I have a few sticks that are dry and start a fire with it's all good as the wood is usually only a mil or 2 wet and the rest is bone dry so it doesn't take much heat to dry it out enough for it to burn well as a rule.

One of the benefits of being known to have big saws is that even in a wood burning town, people come to you to deal with big stuff that their little saws struggle with. An old client of mine popped in to work late last week with that problem. Sure, I said, I'll take care of it.

View attachment 728725

Unfortunately, it is my least favourite eucalypt in our area, e. ovata or swamp gum. Not that dense but a bit more ashy and not that easy to split either. This particular one had a termite pipe up through it as well. Still...

View attachment 728726

It was about 25 inches at the base.

View attachment 728728

At least the hollowness made it a bit easier to split.

View attachment 728729

The owner pointed out a few other reasonably solid smaller logs so they came home too.

View attachment 728733

A bit over 1.5 cubes all up and the difference between pulling a load of green wood with the Subaru vs the Ranger was dramatic. Very pleased with it so far. There were a few stray bits of peppermint (below left) there as well which will go in the heater when the next cold front comes through tomorrow.

View attachment 728730

Once this has dried a bit I'll prolly take it down to my brother in Melbourne. As far as he is concerned, free wood is good wood and he can't tell the difference anyway.

:)
Looks like good burning wood to me cowboy, I'm hearing you re splitting some of the gums, that stuff we got yesterday for my mate has been a right Biarch to split by hand even with his heavy splitting maul, some will need the chainsaw to sort it out as it's got a few knots etc in it but the majority is split now so all good.

The weathers slowly cooling down, should be around 2deg here tomorrow or the next morning which is nice to see, can't wait until winter really gets going and I can start seriously burning some of this wood I've gotten so far this year.:happybanana:

I'll get it next year, I usually have some left over each year so no dramas of ever running out and even if I did it's only 5min drive to get more if I need it.:cheers:

Pfff! Such a laissez-faire attitude.... No aptitude for hoarding, clearly! ;)

Cowboy, grain looks somewhat spiral in that log, that makes splitting tougher.

I'll get it next year, I usually have some left over each year so no dramas of ever running out and even if I did it's only 5min drive to get more if I need it.:cheers:

You don’t even want to be at least a year ahead....? [emoji848]

Pfff! Such a laissez-faire attitude.... No aptitude for hoarding, clearly! ;)

Cowboy, grain looks somewhat spiral in that log, that makes splitting tougher.

I don't really need to hoard it Neil, I can get it any time I need it so no real point in doing so. I've got a stack that's about 5m long by 3m wide and about 1.5m high I guess which is plenty for now.:cheers:

Yeah the grain gets twisted from the high winds when the trees are young, makes for some touch splitting alright.:chop:

Back