Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've forgot to shut it down or fallen asleep in front of it waiting for it to warm up so I could shut it down, when I looked at the temp I was a little concerned to see it at 750 :crazy2:.
If I have a round that's close to the house and green I'll grab that and toss it in quickly to help get the temp back down, it's not as scary as it was when I first got the stove, but it's not something I want to do on a normal basis.

Mine burn at 750-850 on a daily basis. At first I was a bit concerned, changed my door gasket etc., and I contacted the stove company (Lennox BIS Ultima) to have their opinion, they said it's a normal stove top temp for this kind of stove. Maybe you're in the same situation as I am

Mine burn at 750-850 on a daily basis. At first I was a bit concerned, changed my door gasket etc., and I contacted the stove company (Lennox BIS Ultima) to have their opinion, they said it's a normal stove top temp for this kind of stove. Maybe you're in the same situation as I am
No, I've had my Pacific Energy for 8 seasons and it doesn't normally go above 650 and that's only when it's very cold out and I've got a hot burn of locust going or a lot of small wood with air gaps, other than that it reads 450-550. Placement of the temp gauge has a lot to do with it as does the design of the stove.
We are pleased with ours, it has the PE medium size firebox which is a little more work than I'd like when it gets below 10, but anything bigger would be to big in the shoulder. It seems to be perfect for our current situation, and once I get more insulation in the house it will be even better :).

No, I've had my Pacific Energy for 8 seasons and it doesn't normally go above 650 and that's only when it's very cold out and I've got a hot burn of locust going or a lot of small wood with air gaps, other than that it reads 450-550. Placement of the temp gauge has a lot to do with it as does the design of the stove.
We are pleased with ours, it has the PE medium size firebox which is a little more work than I'd like when it gets below 10, but anything bigger would be to big in the shoulder. It seems to be perfect for our current situation, and once I get more insulation in the house it will be even better :).

I have a friend who have a PE too, he really loves it. Seems to be really good stove

Kinda scrounge related, finally got around to splitting some of the scrounged tree service wood from last fall. I need to start taking pictures. I did a hour's worth on the DHT 22 ton and barely made a dent in the pile. Split a lot though.

I finally got the new to me wood truck running over the weekend. 1995 F150 extended cab 5.8L, only 2wd but it will do for now. It needed a new throttle position sensor. Started right up after sitting a couple months though. Ran it down the road and no check engine light. It has high miles, but no leaks, no smoke, runs well now, and shifts strong. It's only to get some wood and pull a mower once a week. It came from Texas a few years ago, so very little rust which is very nice around here. We actually traded some firewood and cash for the truck. Got it from our midwife, who we actually traded a lot of wood to for out last 2 births.

I still need to do plugs, cap, rotor, wires, may need a battery, and I need to decide on the front fuel tank. The pump doesn't work, and when I run the rear tank excess fuel returns and dumps into the front tank. It will eventually overflow if I don't siphon it out. I've seen people block off the lines to one tank and only run the other. Cheap fix, but not sure the best way to do it. Or I can just replace the pump. I don't want to spend much on the truck though.

Yesterday's scrounge of dead ash from one of my produce customers. All I had to do was saw and he loaded it in his bucket and dumped it in the truck. Not quite a full load but I was limited on time. Splittin and filling a bin for next winter.

Attachments

• 20190408_111233.jpg
    20190408_111233.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
20190408_110549.jpg Got the rack finished today. Hoping the mulberry on top will keep my FIL from pulling off this rack this year.20190408_120003.jpg Still deciding if I'm gonna rack the apple for myself or try to sell it. Figure I'll double the size of the pile with the next one and there might be a third when that one is done.

Yea I could stack like 10yrs worth on my property if I felt like mowing around it.

Wait.

More wood. Less grass to mow. Hmmm....

That is what all the bark and saw dust and noodles are for. Keep the grass down!

My wife was out by the pile last weekend when i was splitting and she started picking up the bark. I was like HAY, PUT THAT BACK!!

[emoji23]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Haven't had a chance to do much scrounging since December, so when my neighbor asked if I could take down their old blue spruce that sprinkles my car with pitch and needles I was scampering up as fast as my out-of-shape body could manage. Perfect weather, too.

Of course now I'm sore, have pitch stuck to my skin, hair, and beard, it's 36 out, raining, and I'm getting a cold. But for 2 days at least it felt great...plus I smell like spruce.

Note that my 2-year-old wanted me to put the tree back up, so I "planted" one of the tops in the ground to appease him when I was done.

IMG_4803.jpg
IMG_3895.jpeg

A few more pics from the weekend. Dad was with me and took this action shot while I wasn't looking.

7th Apr 14.jpg

There was another small dead standing tree that the owner said I could take if I wanted. It had a fair lean on it but I thought I could drop it without hanging it up on the next tree. Incorrectly as it turned out.

7th Apr 7.jpg

One tiny branch just out of shot snagged a tiny branch on the neighbouring tree and there it stayed. We had to go home to drop off a load anyway so picked up the rope I forgot to bring the first time and the Ranger pulled it down from the base.

7th Apr 10.jpg

Not sure what the tree is.

7th Apr 9.jpg

Pretty wood though.

7th Apr 8.jpg

half a cube at best of this stuff cut up

7th Apr 1.jpg

Plus all the sticks for the firepit that night.

7th Apr 11.jpg

Burned ok in the firepit, will be interest to see how the bigger stuff goes in the heater this week.

7th Apr 13.jpg

:)

some noodles for breakfast.:laugh: @James Miller running my 462 in some rock oak.

Says this when i click on the link[emoji3596][emoji3596]. Is it set to “private” by chance...?

e04d685c921843182edf822fe31faa76.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Back