STIHL at Northern Tool?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I walked into Home Depot once and asked the salesperson, "How do you rate Stihl chainsaws against Makita?
Answer: "I have no Idea. We rent Makita, not Stihl."
Then I asked, "Do you sell or rent Husqvarna chain saws?"
Answer: "No. I've never heard of Husqvarna."
Then I asked, "What about Echo? Do you sell or rent those?"
Answer: "Not that I know of. Never heard of that either. What can I help you with today?"
I answered, "Nothing. Have a good day."
upload_2019-2-27_19-0-1.gif

Well that John Deere crap pissed off a lot of dealers....

I guess! The John Deere dealer in my town is right next door to the established full-service Stihl dealer. Right next door. The JD dealer was selling Stihl for a while too!

That was pretty screwed up in a town of 3000 people and not many folks in the remainder of the area either.

Exactly.

I wasn't too happy when ACE started peddling Stihl either.

My buddy bought a new saw from ACE in Anchorage, he called me up to figure out how to get it going, what mix to use, etc.

Well they sold him the saw still in the box. Didn't set it up, fuel it or show him how to start it or anything!

I ended up calling Stihl HQ. Couple days later he called me and asked what I had done. ACE got in touch with him and begged he come back so they could setup the saw and wanted to give him a free case of oil and some other stuff.

Not sure if they are following the rules now, but they had claimed they didn't have anyone available that was trained.

ONLY reason I pay more for Stihl vs other brands is because of the local dealer. It puts food on their table and they are great to work with.

The reason I heard that the big name stores do not carry Stihl is because they cannot service them, i.e., no repair facilities. Philbert's post #3 says it all.

Surprisingly, there are a few hardware stores that sell Stihl.

Just another Stihl outlet that will know nothing about their product. Like our local Ace dealers.
i was quite surprised when i went into our local Ace store (very small) and being the smartass i am i asked to talk to the stihl repairman. the salesperson walked me to the back and i met the tech. young guy but knew his stuff. we talked mainly older stihl saws and he told me what he collected.

I've always heard this too but every Runnings (similar to Tractor Supply) I've ever been in is a Stihl dealer as well as quite a few hardware stores like you pointed out. I've never dealt with them so maybe they are very knowledgeable and can provide service but they feel similar to a big box store.

The three Rural King stores that are close enough for me to visit have a big supply of Stihl products and they each have Stihl techs for service.

Our local Northern Tool here in Wisconsin has Stihl. They even accept the $50 dollar off coupons on Stihl. This has to make dealers upset. O yeah and they are open Sundays and much longer hours than most dealers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The OPE industry has been finished much like this country(usa).

Husqvarna basically did this ~20 years ago, at least in this area. The shop I work out of was a good sized Husqvarna dealer. Once Husky brought their saws into Lowe's and a few other box stores and were selling them for less, it was the demise of the dealer.

Off the top of my head, similar happened to McCulloch, Homelite, Poulan, Partner. All great brands once upon a time.

IMO if Stihl continues with spreading into box stores, it won't be many years until they more or less kill the brand.

some farm and fleet carry Stihl , the local hardware store carries stihl , I sort of think the "expert" has become *** expert*** ***expert advice is available only available on Tuesday from 9 am to 9:30 am when our saw expert is in to pick up and drop off the saws to be worked on for the week ***

Our local Do-It center hardware store and rental has a Stihl dealership. They dont stock many parts at all and don't usually have "saw guy" around. Just the clerk from the lumber counter. I ordered parts over a week ago and they still arent in. :-(

Be aware of seconds and refurbs. I wanted a poulan pro saw for my camp. They had a refurb on sale. It wasn’t repaired. The bar tensioner was missing. If anyone didn’t know about chain saws they could of been hurt. Northern didn’t want to know squat about fixing it. I sent it back. I purchased a poulan pro weed wacker with all the attachments. These were retired Husqvarnas. Another factory refurb. It stopped running a short in the wiring. I won’t even talk about leaf blowers only too. My new Remington works great. My homelite after thirty years of service she runs but leaks gas. For $79 I should have it bronzed.

Don’t buy any refurbs. Or plan on fixing it.

OT, there’s a gal in the super Walmart above kennebunkport, me. Who knows everything about guns and hunting. I could talk with her for hours. My point is someone in the right position with knowledge of products there selling. It was a whole new shopping experience.

Our local Do-It center hardware store and rental has a Stihl dealership. They dont stock many parts at all and don't usually have "saw guy" around. Just the clerk from the lumber counter. I ordered parts over a week ago and they still arent in. :-(

I had a Stihl , the place I bought it at near were I work went out of business in the recession they were an industrial supply place.

the hardware / farm store in town is a Stihl dealer but I got tired of the clerk handing me the parts book so I could show him what I wanted and they could order it , have it in about week and I could pay full MSRP. if you need your saw worked on drop it off they have a guy in 2 days a week , you should have your saw back in a week.
I don't blame them they just don't do the saw business to warrant a full time or even daily part time saw tech they have a rental and sell lawn mowers .

1/2 mile past the Stihl hardware store is a real saw shop who sells and services Jonsered he is there 6 days a week and almost always has any part I need and every saw is started for the first time and tuned in front of you when you pick it up. think a jet is a little lean bring it in he will re-tune it for you. the prices are also reasonable.

any surprise I have all red saws now

1/2 mile past the Stihl hardware store is a real saw shop who sells and services Jonsered he is there 6 days a week and almost always has any part I need and every saw is started for the first time and tuned in front of you when you pick it up. think a jet is a little lean bring it in he will re-tune it for you. the prices are also reasonable.

any surprise I have all red saws now
That won't be lasting much longer :rolleyes:.
Bummer it's hard to find a good dealer or someone to service anything these days.

That won't be lasting much longer :rolleyes:.
Bummer it's hard to find a good dealer or someone to service anything these days.

should be going many more years , a young guy bought the business he has had it 3 years now and is doing a very good business I think he is about 28 now. his dad had a small engine shop so he grew up with it but recognized his dad had a horrible location so he moved 20 miles away and bought out a well established shop that the owner wanted to retire.

so it may not be the same red saw but he will find a saw he can stand behind and sell that.

Back