Cylinder base sealant, expensive Stihl silicone or hi temp red RTV ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reviving this thread
has anyone used omc gelseal witch i believe is 3m #847 comes in a red tube for sealing 2 stroke crankcase haves

whatever.......

about any sealer will do....
Local chainsaw shop uses Fullaseal 700 Roof & Gutter - grey ... Has done for years and never had a problem! I note on their spec sheet that it is good to 150C, non-acetic and needs atmospheric H2O and 24hrs to cure.

It doesn’t dissolve it as such. In fact gasoline dissolves the 3 you’ve mentioned. It will cause Dirko to swell and in thin areas shrivel.
The three I mentioned are made specifically for use on dirt bike center cases, which is nearly identical to a clam shell chainsaw. I have used Threebond and Yamabond many times and they have always worked perfectly.

The three I mentioned are made specifically for use on dirt bike center cases, which is nearly identical to a clam shell chainsaw. I have used Threebond and Yamabond many times and they have always worked perfectly.
Yep agreed, but Dirko works perfectly too, Stihl has used it for decades even though it’s an RTV - which technically shouldn’t be used right? Just seems that any of the following work just fine even though none are fuel proof.

Silicone base sealers (remove
with fuel):

Dirko HT
Dirko Grey
Yamahabond 4
Pactan 6075
Permatex ultra black
Permatex the right stuff
Permatex ultra grey

chemical cure - (remove with acetone):

Hylomar universal blue
Yamahabond 1104 NEO Plus
Yamahabond 1194
Yamahabond 1184
Permatex Motoseal
Curil - T
Hondabond 4 ( TB1194)

To be clear you want to use Yamabond 4, or threebond 1194. I can't recall which hondabond product number.
Attached is the product data sheet for 1194. Note it says excellant resistance to gasoline. It is not a silicone product.

Attachments

• 1194TechData.pdf
    136.6 KB · Views: 4
Yep agreed, but Dirko works perfectly too, Stihl has used it for decades even though it’s an RTV - which technically shouldn’t be used right? Just seems that any of the following work just fine even though none are fuel proof.

Silicone base sealers (remove
with fuel):

Dirko HT
Dirko Grey
Yamahabond 4
Pactan 6075
Permatex ultra black
Permatex the right stuff
Permatex ultra grey

chemical cure - (remove with acetone):

Hylomar universal blue
Yamahabond 1104 NEO Plus
Yamahabond 1194
Yamahabond 1184
Permatex Motoseal
Curil - T
Hondabond 4 ( TB1194)
I can't comment on what Dirko is or isn't as I have never used it.
I do know that any silicone based product will not work very well and will eventually fail.

Yep, Dirko is a acetic cure silicone sealant. It has zero fuel resistant properties.
I only bring up the silicone thing because I had a dirt bike that the precious owner used silicone to seal the joint between the intake boot and air box. Gasoline spit back caused the joint to fail and the motor sucked a bunch of sand though it. A cylinder replate, new crank assembly and piston latter and I was back in business, but a very expensive lesson learned. That sort of thing sticks in your mind!

I only bring up the silicone thing because I had a dirt bike that the precious owner used silicone to seal the joint between the intake boot and air box. Gasoline spit back caused the joint to fail and the motor sucked a bunch of sand though it. A cylinder replate, new crank assembly and piston latter and I was back in business, but a very expensive lesson learned. That sort of thing sticks in your mind!
Totally get what you’re saying and totally agree!

On Husqvarna dirtbikes where the pistons cost like a chainsaw I’ve tested pro seal engine high temp silicone on Husqvarna and suzuki bikes on the case seam.

Back