I know it's not a chainsaw but

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12ram2500

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking on buying a straitshaft stihl weed trimmer to replace my husky trimmer what would you guys recommend. Mechanic at store said to get the fs 56.

I have a husky 128 and love it!

Stihl or husky.... both make great straight shaft weed eaters

Get what feels nice in your hand.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I got my husky from a dealer as a refurbished unit and I've put a ton of hours on it just thinking about replacing it before problems start coming up plus I wouldnt mind having something more ergonomical

Dont get me wrong I like echo had a echo 8000 chainsaw for a long time but no dealer support around here just box stores but I do have two great stihl dealers very close to me that's why I was thinking stihl

I have the Kombi KM110R and it's not too bad. It does have a bit of vibration that makes my hands "buzz" and almost go numb if I run it for a few tanks of fuel at a time. Usually I just use it for 10-15 mins at a time maybe 2x a month at the house though.

I had first got it for the power broom about 6-7 years ago, but I found it was harder on my arms and back than using a rake. I ended up getting a walk behind power rake too, so sold the power broom.

I do have the little tiller which has worked nice for the flower beds. Also have a leaf blower and edger that work well.
They have a bunch of other attachments too like a hedge trimmer, pole saw, brush cutter,

Oh, it's a 4 stroke, but still uses mixed fuel. Have been told the tiny valves were an issue on the earlier design. My brother had trouble with his 4 mix wanting to start (just a trimmer) and it was the valves that needed to be adjusted. The Stihl tech said they were supposed to be done every so many hours.

I love my Echo PAS-225. I had the SRM-225, but swapped to the model I can put a pole saw head on. I had 3 seasons on the SRM with pretty heavy use, still started every spring with no issues. Light, plenty of power, and dependable. I have dealer support, but I have yet to have need of it in the last 5 years. For the price you really can't go wrong with the Echo. That's my opinion though.

I have an FS 56 and like it. although its a homeowner model, it still has decent power and starts every time. I have only had it for two seasons, so no idea on how long it will last. You might look into the FS70 or FS91 as they are both considered part of Stihl's professional lineup and I don't think the FS70 is that much more expensive than the 56.

I have the fs56. It cranks and runs very well. I am more of a Husqvarna guy but there are no Husqvarna dealers in my area anymore. I bought the Stihl because I needed one that day and every hardware store around here sells Stihl. I think you will be happy with it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

If I was buying new, and thought I might want the edger, pole pruner, or hedge trimmer later, I might consider a split shaft.

I separated all my gas powered units somewhat. My gas hedge trimmer is a homelite, my 2 power heads with multiple attachments is a poulan pro. (Retired rebranded husky). I have the extended tree trimmer( 9” chain saw), garden cultivator, weed wacker, saw blade, edger, my question is do these attachments fit the Husqvarna power head?

Well if they have a warranty and something were to go wrong with it what good is it without a dealer to repair it under warranty

I separated all my gas powered units somewhat. My gas hedge trimmer is a homelite, my 2 power heads with multiple attachments is a poulan pro. (Retired rebranded husky). I have the extended tree trimmer( 9” chain saw), garden cultivator, weed wacker, saw blade, edger, my question is do these attachments fit the Husqvarna power head?
I think they're all the same. Except Echo has a slightly smaller diameter.

I too have multiple brands. Maruyama hedge trimmer bought used for $75. Honda 4-stroke stick edger bought used for $75. Echo SRM-225 string trimmer bought used for $30. And a 58v Echo split shaft trimmer bought new years ago.

About ten years ago I had arms like Popeyes. I could hear new co workers say to other co workers look at the size of his arms. Cutting with a husky 2100 did my arms good. But eight years ago prostate cancer took my muscles away. My point is I purchased the poulan pro with all the attachments and now I can’t run it. My point is buy the light weight stuff.

I’m going to try steroids next for my lower back. I haven’t had injections for a while.

I have the Shindaiwa version T262

Im looking at getting one of those soon. Shindaiwa days are %20 off woot woot!!

And to the OP, not sure how much you have to trim but have you looked at the offerings from you favorite power tool company? I've been eyeing an 18v trimmer from makita here lately.

Im looking at getting one of those soon. Shindaiwa days are %20 off woot woot!!

And to the OP, not sure how much you have to trim but have you looked at the offerings from you favorite power tool company? I've been eyeing an 18v trimmer from makita here lately.

I went to get the 2620 on the 20% off sale last year but they were out so i got the T262. I liked when they told me the T262 has a solid shaft instead of a flex like the 2620.

Latest posts

Back