2 Guys in a Bucket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Saw this yesterday in my neighborhood. 2 guys, from a national service, working out of the same bucket. One guy cut, and the other held, then grabbed and tossed, the tree limbs.

IMG_3193.jpg

IMG_3196.jpg

I have never see this before, and was wondering if it is common, allowed, safe, etc.?

Both were tied off with full body harnesses. Bucket was boldly marked '300 Pound Capacity' (they were skinny guys). Seemed like a tight space for 2 guys to work, especially when one is running a chainsaw.

Really nice, tracked bucket, with a lot of articulation, BTW!

Philbert

I did thay once but im not profesional lol.
Bucket was about 4 feet wide and rated for 600lbs.
That one is questionable. Two guys plus weight of limbs while tossing them. Probly little much

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Yeah shouldn't need an extra man for that tree. Maybe training or learning the lift. Two of my buckets have 2 man buckets but rarely ever does someone go up with me. Maybe 3 times in 20 years. Not counting just going above the trees and looking around. Some of those lifts will shut down when you go 1 lb over the limit.

We've run 2 in 1 plenty of times in the larger lift, 1000lb platform. Usually for chunking down big Cottonwoods over someone's house. One guy runs the 460 the other controls the logs as the come off and pitches them. That way the saw guy doesn't have to set it down to manhandle the rounds. I've been in a basket that small hitching a ride to my TIP, you gotta be good freinds with the other guy or it's awkward.

I only do that to bring a climber up the tree so that he prunes what ever I can't reach with the bucket truck.

Doesn't seem like they need two for that tree but you never know, they might have a safety nazi boss or foreman who insists on two handing a top handle saw at all times. In that case, two guys is a lot more efficient that tying off every little 1/2"-2" branch.

I can't remember who, but one of the bigger companies eliminating top handle saws because they couldn't get folks to stop one-handing them.

Davey Tree in Ontario started replacing 201 top handles with 201 backhandles a few years ago around here. The cowboys amongst them didnt complain because they could still one hand the saw, but with a further reach!!

Back