Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you It is the family farm . My niece lives in the white farm house and my brother lives in another farm house on the property. I built this cedar sided home back in the winter of 1979/80 Good place for the kids to grow up and be in 4H , it taught them a lot about life.

nice to see the farm is still in family hands. I hate it when the g-parents don't pass it on, but just sell it. then their kids and the g-ks loose it. I remember one day at church pot-luck brunch... sitting across from a guy. his kids. we got to talking. I said something about the day. he said, well they were headed out to the farm. last day to visit the farm. his parents had sold the ol homestead!

I could tell he was going to miss it!

I noticed the architecture, too. I liked the look and colors of the cedar sided homes. as I say... dog says it all.

hope to see more of your wood splitting ops...

Ive read a little and watched some vids on building this type of wood stack system. Obviously you like them. Presently getting ready to stack some wood with limited space. Can you give me some tips please ?

This is my first attempt to build one. The key I believe is the layers of wood that go around the circumference, they work well if the are pie shaped splits. That way the layers of stacked wood lean in towards the middle. After a few rows, the inside gets higher than the outside due to overlapping, then build another circumference row of pie shaped splits.
I don’t have enough wood to complete a pitched roof on top so I may cover it with plywood to keep rain out of the middle. I’m no expert but it seems a good choice for much wood in a small space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my first attempt to build one. The key I believe is the layers of wood that go around the circumference, they work well if the are pie shaped splits. That way the layers of stacked wood lean in towards the middle. After a few rows, the inside gets higher than the outside due to overlapping, then build another circumference row of pie shaped splits.
I don’t have enough wood to complete a pitched roof on top so I may cover it with plywood to keep rain out of the middle. I’m no expert but it seems a good choice for much wood in a small space.

Thank you much [emoji16]

Putting some work in with my new knee ligament - what a joy it is to be able to work hard again without the pain and instability!

A giant pile of Ash, maybe 3-4 cords...
QFTV13r.jpg

From another angle in the wood canyon... to the left, Northern Red Oak, and some Hickory and Black Locust..
30AIxNP.jpg

meWMu1L.jpg

Still have a fair amount remaining to split, though some of it might be a little far gone...
C1shUiz.jpg

The work horse - all split by hand with this bad boy... Helko 4.5 lb Spaltaxt on a 28" handle:
PP29M4e.jpg

Kydex collar guard doing its job, nearly 10 cord split with this collar on and almost zero damage:
NhQma9S.jpg

One more holzhausen stacked, roughly 2.1 cord or 260 ft³ according to my calculations:
grwc4XX.jpg

MZfr4FO.jpg

And still a pile of Ash remaining burying the Oak still left to stack...
DGjWvxO.jpg

Putting some work in with my new knee ligament - what a joy it is to be able to work hard again without the pain and instability!

A giant pile of Ash, maybe 3-4 cords...
QFTV13r.jpg

From another angle in the wood canyon... to the left, Northern Red Oak, and some Hickory and Black Locust..
30AIxNP.jpg

meWMu1L.jpg

Still have a fair amount remaining to split, though some of it might be a little far gone...
C1shUiz.jpg

The work horse - all split by hand with this bad boy... Helko 4.5 lb Spaltaxt on a 28" handle:
PP29M4e.jpg

Kydex collar guard doing its job, nearly 10 cord split with this collar on and almost zero damage:
NhQma9S.jpg

One more holzhausen stacked, roughly 2.1 cord or 260 ft³ according to my calculations:
grwc4XX.jpg

MZfr4FO.jpg

And still a pile of Ash remaining burying the Oak still left to stack...
DGjWvxO.jpg

I like your roof on the stack...

I like your roof on the stack...

Danke!

red oak and white birch in that pile. yes i did fill the center, still have to shape a top.

I've never seasoned oak on a holzhausen, only quick seasoning woods like ash, cherry, sassafras or poplar. I also fill my centers, holzhausen are a very efficient means of stacking a lot of wood with a minimal footprint.

We're going to need a dedicated "Show us your Holzhausen" thread!

Here's how my woodshed area is currently looking just as we're coming in to burning season. The shed itself has 55 cubes of mixed eucalypt (manna gum, peppermint, yellow box and long leaved box) in it plus maybe 8 cubes of peppermint in front of it. There's a pile to the left of the shed (mostly obscured) that has 5 or 6 cubes. Then from the right, there is 'burn now' black locust and 'burn next year' black locust, picked up 5 cubes of that this weekend then there is 1.5 cubes of swamp gum to the left of that. So maybe 75 cubic metres or 20 cord all up.

14th Apr 3.jpg

Here's how my woodshed area is currently looking just as we're coming in to burning season. The shed itself has 55 cubes of mixed eucalypt (manna gum, peppermint, yellow box and long leaved box) in it plus maybe 8 cubes of peppermint in front of it. There's a pile to the left of the shed (mostly obscured) that has 5 or 6 cubes. Then from the right, there is 'burn now' black locust and 'burn next year' black locust, picked up 5 cubes of that this weekend then there is 1.5 cubes of swamp gum to the left of that. So maybe 75 cubic metres or 20 cord all up.

View attachment 730100

You need to slow down. You’re making the rest of us look bad. [emoji51]

View attachment 730100

I didn't know that Black Locust was planted in Australia. Is that considered a "junk wood" compared to the other primo Aussie hardwoods available to you?

View attachment 730100
Everything still looks nice and green....how long until you will be needing heat there, Cowboy?

Multifaceted what’s the circumference or diameter of the wood pile And how tall? Looks like less then 2 cord to me. I was kinda getting yours and al-k mixed up. Yours does look pretty big

It is less than what I thought because I didn't measure it to calculate up until I read your post. The base is 7' in diameter and the height to just before where it starts to get conical for the roof is 6' - so it is 1.8 cords. It's slightly smaller than the one I built in Oct. of 2017 that this one replaced, which was about 2 cords.

Here's the solution from the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder: V=πr2h=π·3.52·6≈230.90706

230.90706/ 128 = 1.80398

Back