Low compression on my new Stihl MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more time goes by, the worse for you.
James, have you got a chainsaw buddy, near where you live, who can provide a second set of eyes, ears, brains?
I mean, so you can be 100% certain, and then go to town with Stihl.

Ha, Ha, forget the chainsaw bit..... i need a second set of all that for everything

One other thought... I thought that the OPsaid t hat the carb was tuned to 13.4K. Well... the repair manual listed the max RPM spec at 14.0K. THis is a bit on the rich side and will account for somewhat less power in the saw. I'll let the experts decide if this is significant or not.

I don't think so, its not like these saws are supercharged and need high rpm to generate any torque, each saw and each fuel type and altitude can change the best tune and four-stroking but 13.4K sounds good to me, for breaking in would rather be a tad rich anyway. Even with high octane ethanol free, where you may lean it out a tad, it should still have damn good power above 13K, I think.

How did the place that did the oil pump remove the clutch? Rope? Piston chock?
If they didn't use an impact driver they could have caused damage.
Rope could have snagged in the port.
The whole clutch/bar chain thing still seems wierd though, wouldn't it just bog down and stop if it was a power issue not instant like the chain brake going on?

The whole clutch/bar chain thing still seems wierd though, wouldn't it just bog down and stop if it was a power issue not instant like the chain brake going on?
99 times out of 100 the fault is the nut behind the wheel, I'm speaking from experience.

Your right, how did they remove it?I’ve seen a impact on the clutch shear a flywheel key. It was on a older 044 and couldn’t say if the flywheel was tight enough at the time. Checking the key would be a good idea.

I have seen on dismantling a saw in for repair, where, a piston stop has almost broken through the crown of a piston!
I use venitian blind cord. Pure cotton. It’s small, light, easy to manipulate and hard when it’s mashed. I once broke the tip off the Stihl piston stop inside the cyl of my 066. For about 30 minutes I could be seen dancing around my room holding that saw over my head trying to get that piece somewhere near the spark plug hole so I could get it out with some hemostats. Was successful.
Last time I used that tool.

I contacted JD yesterday with Stihl, He was very helpful and willing to address my concerns. So, there is some EPA regulations Stihl is trying to address but he wouldn't clarify any EPA issues with this model. Pretty much Stihl whole line is under EPA regulation...he was very general. I believe all 2 cycle are experiencing EPA focus now, but that my opinion. Not much was mentioned about the design changes on this MS362 but it should cut better than what I'm experiencing. JD is saying 40 hrs to break in this saw...anyone ever heard of that? I spoke to a buddy that has a falling company in Detroit Oregon area, pretty much he runs a new saw hard 8 hrs and consider it broke-in. That pretty much what my dad did too. JD suggested I run this saw or sent it to him, JJD has a lot test logs all sizes and he'll get to the bottom of this problem. Stihl will either replace my saw or fix it. JD opinion is the chrome cylinder is slick and the rings haven't had enough time to seat. Nothing was confirmed about the compression reading on this saw as being normal or not normal...pretty much the saw should cut better but the reason why is the rings haven't had time to seat. I seriously doubt Stihl will run my saw 40hrs. but bottom line they will fix this saw regardless. I sent a email capturing our conversation to JD plus the history/date around this MS362. I think JD should be aware of what's occurring with his dealer and their awareness to problems such as mine... how these shops are addressing this issues. Plus my concern is some guy buys a new saw and get killed by it due to ..well it not broke in! In my opinion that's a serious concern! I do think there is a serious issue with this saw. I don't know if all new saws are like that, but according to the shop they are! I guess I should have confirmed that comment "all new saws are like this" with JD but I did not. Normally I have a list of questions prior to meeting such this so every thing is captured; however, I totally slammed here at work with equipment upgrade and new equipment installation. We just short staffed here at work and my wife and I are experiencing parent health issues...I just got lot on my mind these last few day. As for Lone Wolf question regarding my compression reading ...my adapter to 10mm does not have a Schrader value built in but the fitting on the end which the adapter treads in to does. So...he could be correct. I just haven't had chance to run a test on my 10mm Stihl weed eater. If I had time I'd machine a fitting and install a Schrader valve but I don't right now.

I contacted JD yesterday with Stihl, He was very helpful and willing to address my concerns. So, there is some EPA regulations Stihl is trying to address but he wouldn't clarify any EPA issues with this model. Pretty much Stihl whole line is under EPA regulation...he was very general. I believe all 2 cycle are experiencing EPA focus now, but that my opinion. Not much was mentioned about the design changes on this MS362 but it should cut better than what I'm experiencing. JD is saying 40 hrs to break in this saw...anyone ever heard of that? I spoke to a buddy that has a falling company in Detroit Oregon area, pretty much he runs a new saw hard 8 hrs and consider it broke-in. That pretty much what my dad did too. JD suggested I run this saw or sent it to him, JJD has a lot test logs all sizes and he'll get to the bottom of this problem. Stihl will either replace my saw or fix it. JD opinion is the chrome cylinder is slick and the rings haven't had enough time to seat. Nothing was confirmed about the compression reading on this saw as being normal or not normal...pretty much the saw should cut better but the reason why is the rings haven't had time to seat. I seriously doubt Stihl will run my saw 40hrs. but bottom line they will fix this saw regardless. I sent a email capturing our conversation to JD plus the history/date around this MS362. I think JD should be aware of what's occurring with his dealer and their awareness to problems such as mine... how these shops are addressing this issues. Plus my concern is some guy buys a new saw and get killed by it due to ..well it not broke in! In my opinion that's a serious concern! I do think there is a serious issue with this saw. I don't know if all new saws are like that, but according to the shop they are! I guess I should have confirmed that comment "all new saws are like this" with JD but I did not. Normally I have a list of questions prior to meeting such this so every thing is captured; however, I totally slammed here at work with equipment upgrade and new equipment installation. We just short staffed here at work and my wife and I are experiencing parent health issues...I just got lot on my mind these last few day. As for Lone Wolf question regarding my compression reading ...my adapter to 10mm does not have a Schrader value built in but the fitting on the end which the adapter treads in to does. So...he could be correct. I just haven't had chance to run a test on my 10mm Stihl weed eater. If I had time I'd machine a fitting and install a Schrader valve but I don't right now.
Well bud that Schrader valve sure is in question and I am very anxious to see what happens . You need to put it in another good running machine and see if it reads low again. Also that will mean they didn't do the test correct at the shop if they even did!

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted soon and hope that your parents are ok!

James,

My 2015 MS362C supposedly takes ± 5 tanks to break in, and I have heard 8 tanks for newer units. At this poit if it was me, I would send JD the saw. Let him know about the dealer installed oiler; you'll want it if he replaces the saw. Good luck!
And then there is that 50.00 shipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back