McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice find Kevin! I'm sure you'll have it running in no time.

I found a set of points on Ebay for my 1-50 for less than $9.I think that was a pretty good deal seeing te last set I got for my 380 I paid c$15 for them.Ouch!
Ed

Worked on the 1-86 some more. Cant get it right. Now in having pull start problems! It was fine until the rope broke the other day. Now it wont engage reliably and even if I make sure its caught good it will disengage mid pull[emoji35]
I did get it running for a bit and tried adjusting the carb. Cant seem to get the low speed correct. It doesnt want to idle, and what little it does idle, it loads up. Then it stalled on me and between the pull start and it seemingly flooding, I couldnt get it started again. It is just too big a saw to sit there pulling on it for hours so i gave up again for now.

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

All the MAC men were drivers today. Had a volunteer group out of Florida today to chuck wood. 37 in all. Lee drove the side by side chauffeuring the ladies. Brian drove the CUCV with 101A3 trailer and I drove the M35A3 hauling wood in some pretty challenging conditions. Ron

Loading the trucks.

IMG_4242.JPG

IMG_4244.JPG

End of day group shot of volunteers.
IMG_4254.JPG

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

All the MAC men were drivers today. Had a volunteer group out of Florida today to chuck wood. 37 in all. Lee drove the side by side chauffeuring the ladies. Brian drove the CUCV with 101A3 trailer and I drove the M35A3 hauling wood in some pretty challenging conditions. Ron

Loading the trucks.

View attachment 728348

View attachment 728349

End of day group shot of volunteers.
View attachment 728350
Gotta love those m35A3's, I love mine for logging.
download_20150906_235148.jpeg

Put a little weight in them, and shift in the front axle and they will really go. It was really slick everywhere and soft in spots today. A side hill pushed me fully loaded into a soft spot and the left rear axles sunk to the ground. Thought I was done for the day, but a little jockeying back and forth, with the go pedal to the floor, and it climbed out.

I would enjoy it more if I were 20 years younger. It would also have a dump.

Ron

Put a little weight in them, and shift in the front axle and they will really go. It was really slick everywhere and soft in spots today. A side hill pushed me fully loaded into a soft spot and the left rear axles sunk to the ground. Thought I was done for the day, but a little jockeying back and forth, with the go pedal to the floor, and it climbed out.

I would enjoy it more if I were 20 years younger. It would also have a dump.

Ron
Agreed on the 20 years younger. Those trucks make for a good street legal skidded. I used mine in muck that would stick most 4 × 4's, and that was pulling 3k+ pound logs up a steep hill and didn't even feel it. The truck would have likely pulled 7500 lbs of logs up the nasty slipery hill I used it on.

My day consisted of having my elderly neighbor pull my trailer home that I got stuck with late on Thurs.It snowed & rained on Fri.Today we got the trailer & part of the load home.I unloaded it & went back to get the rest.I loaded it all up & got stuck again,so I threw half of the wood off & got out with a half load.brought it home & unloaded again.Went back & got the remainder.My neighbor showed me a big ash that he wanted me to cut down,so after going out to buy gas & having lunch,my son & I went out to take down the big ash.Honestly I don't think I ever saw an ash tree that size.We got it cut down & inside was a hibernating racoon.He woke for a bit & went back to sleep.I don't know how he could sleep with the 7-10 screaming.Lol We worked for about 2 hrs.cutting up the tree & decided to call it quits & load up & go home.We had the trailer loaded pretty good & I went about 50 yds.& got stuck.We unloaded about 1/3 of the wood & I managed to back out & get on higher ground.We loaded up again & didfn't go too far & got stuck again.I shut the tractor down & unloaded again & my son went to start the tractor & it just did clicking sound.I looked for a solenoid on the starter,but there wasn't one.It's either the starter went bad,or dirty ignition wires.We had to leave the tractor in the field & walked home about a 1/2 mi.with 4 of the 6 saws.Just another crappy day.
Ed

Ed, glad you stuck it out. Brian and I both had issues yesterday that slowed progress. As you know persistence is the key to firewood (and many times old MACs). Keep at it as you have and a day will come that will make up for the bad one. Maybe as simple as you and your son reminiscing. Can’t put a price on time spent with your kid when things are tough.

Ron

Maybe someday we'll be laughing about it,but at this point things aren't looking too promising.My son got his 4 wheeler going & we took a ride out to get the tractor home first.I thought I'd try the starter & see if it'd at least turn over,but somehow the key got left on overnight,so the battery is dead & most likely the points are fried.To make matters worse,the tractor is hydrostatic drive & the releaser came undone a few yrs.back & I never got around to reconnecting it,so we couldn't even move the tractor.We did get the half loadf of wood home & found that the hitch on the 4 wheeler had lost a couple of mounting bolts & the hitch was bent.My son straightened out the hitch,but in ther process split his finger open.I have another tractopr that I put a battery charger on last night & it didn't take a charge due to a bad connection on the terminal.I tightened that up & it's been charging since this a.m.,but I think the battery is shot.I called my neighbor to tow the tractor home,but he's busy with church.It's supposed to rain tomorrow,maybe start tonight.I guess I'll have to walk 1/2 mi.there to see if I can get the release hooked up again & then walk another 1/2 mi.homer again.What a giant PITA.
Ed

Had this in the wrong thread all day Haha anyway got a question here for you lads McCulloch changed from the older mcc branding to the mountains logo as far as I can see around 71 or 72 there abouts the question is was there ever a MCC logo chain brake cover? I saw it was optional in some literature I've seen and was wondering if that determined if you got a mcc logo saw or the newer logo. I've also never seen a mountain logo non brake clutch cover eather. The reason why I ask is I don't mind a brake on my saws I'm ok with out but I'd rather have 1 I have two 7-10s 1 mcc logo and 1 later mountains logo with the short brake cover I'd like to put a brake on the older 7-10 but it wouldn't suit the older style air filter cover and starter cover.

So what's the story was the change to brakes when the branding changed or was there an overlap? I see some sp81s with no brake but the mountains logo on the air filter and starter but the MCC clutch non brake cover ofcourse that could be just a swap around but did they ever come factory like that?

Whatszit?
9c7416cc0c1d6c3996f3e1df278f1c13.jpg

c4f1b4e70ec97de1d898fdbe820ab973.jpg

[emoji848]

Brandon - I have a 35 Flying Goose that is very similar but not exactly what you have. It is fully intact but unknown running condition. I got it in a deal with a SP81 I wanted. I'd be willing to sell it if you want a parts saw. Message me.

Rob

Thanks, but right I’m doing well on saws to be fixed. I appreciate the offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if it matters much or not but I am throwing my SP125C back together and just curious if I should use the dry gasket or the gasket with some fuel/oil resistant sealer on it when installing a NOS Manifold Gasket.

Not sure if it matters much or not but I am throwing my SP125C back together and just curious if I should use the dry gasket or the gasket with some fuel/oil resistant sealer on it when installing a NOS Manifold Gasket.
When ive replaced gaskets, ive just put the new ones in and went with it. No issues yet. Except cork, i will oil them first usually.

Back