Flowfit 22gpm El Pumpo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodTick007

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with this make hydraulic pump? I have an old school backyard logsplitter and it much like Uncle Joe is moving pretty slow. I was hoping this might breath a little fire into it's veins.
Screenshot_20190409-050141_Facebook.jpg

It could but not knowing all the rest of the specs of your machine it may be a futile purchase.
What size pump is on there now? What size cylinder? Has it always been as slow as uncle Joe?
It could be something other than the pump.
Oh and what HP is the engine?

It could but not knowing all the rest of the specs of your machine it may be a futile purchase.
What size pump is on there now? What size cylinder? Has it always been as slow as uncle Joe?
It could be something other than the pump.
Oh and what HP is the engine?
16gpm from what I was told.
4x24 with 2" rod
Yes it has always been slow.
It is an 18hp Briggs 2 cylinder.
Cycle time is roughly 8-10 seconds each way.

I know of one guy that replaced his pump to later learn the internal seal on the ram was letting oil past it.
After a cylinder rebuild, all was well.
I have considered it could have an internal leak. The cylinder was bought new and is made by Prince.

Is it slower in one direction than the other? I'm wondering if your valve is under sized. I have a single cylinder 11 hp motor, 22 gpm pump and a 4x30 cylinder and it is fairly quick. I did have to rebuild the cylinder as it was used when I got it , it would extend very slow but retract quite quickly. I wonder if your pump is stuck in low flow high pressure side? Is it a two stage pump?
Pic of pump?

One valve is rated at 32gpm and the valve that operates the splitting ram it 25gpm.

The ram moves so slow that my brother will not operate the splitter. It is not bad if you only let the ram retract 16-18 inches or 2-3 inches if the round pops and splits as soon as the wedge breaks the surface. In the auto-cycle mode it is deathly slow.
It is a 2 stage pump made by Haldex

Common fail point of splitter pumps is the hi lo valve fails check ball becomes damageed, keeping the splitter pump in high, stalling the engine when under a load.

It is not as common to fail in low only which makes the splitter very slow. But it is possible. If the spring is very weak or broken, it will go to the lo stage immediately just to move the cylinder.

An unladen pressure test would show this. If you are running high pressure unladen, you will want to look for a restriction on return or pressure side. You should see the splitter move quickly, hit the load, slow and continue to move it. I have roughly an 8 GPM single stage pump on my splitter with twin 3" roughly equal to one 4" and the cycle times are somewhat similar on 28" of stroke. I bet there is a bad hose somewhere.

Back