US species in Oz. Is this...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy254

Compulsive scrounger
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've been driving past this downed tree in a farmer's paddock for the last half a dozen years, I guess. Then the farmer became a client of mine and I asked him about it. He was happy for me to clean it up since he "doesn't burn that $hit". From the highway I thought it looked like black locust and there are suckers coming up around it that have rose thorn looking thorns on them. But the wood itself is way more yellow than I thought locust generally was and also some bloke turned up in a ute with a smoke hanging out of his mouth and told me with authority that it was "mock orange" - maybe some yokel name for osage?

Give me the news, you blokes.

13th Apr 8.jpg

13th Apr 7.jpg

13th Apr 2.jpg

13th Apr 10.jpg

Great score! I cut about 90% black locust. Good thing you had three saws. That stuff dulls chains fast!
Pseudo acacia, some call it yellow locust. The wood will turn gray after a few months. It will keep forever.

Great score! I cut about 90% black locust. Good thing you had three saws. That stuff dulls chains fast!
Pseudo acacia, some call it yellow locust. The wood will turn gray after a few months. It will keep forever.

The farmer told me he also has a burn pile of all dry locust logs. Lots of BTUs there!

14th Apr 1.jpg

Seemed harder than peppermint and candlebark/manna gums but softer than red gum, southern blue gum and all the box species. Splits as easily or easier than alpine ash, one hit with the Fiskars to halve a 20 inch round. I burned a couple of small pieces this morning, seemed to go ok, comparable to peppermint for burn time but we'll see if it is better or worse once I've burned a bit more of it. The wood has more ash than peppermint but less than blue gum.

I've been driving past this downed tree in a farmer's paddock for the last half a dozen years, I guess. Then the farmer became a client of mine and I asked him about it. He was happy for me to clean it up since he "doesn't burn that $hit". From the highway I thought it looked like black locust and there are suckers coming up around it that have rose thorn looking thorns on them. But the wood itself is way more yellow than I thought locust generally was and also some bloke turned up in a ute with a smoke hanging out of his mouth and told me with authority that it was "mock orange" - maybe some yokel name for osage?

Give me the news, you blokes.

View attachment 729887

View attachment 729888

View attachment 729889

View attachment 729890
What an awesome score.
It does look like Locust and is great firewood. Hard and heavy.

Back