Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's my skid road loggin' rig SR - been thinking about making it a double hauler, too. plans in the works, just not executed as of yet... maybe i'll just go buy another yard kart. tractor - scrounged prime mover! fully functional yard tractor/mower tossed out to the curb. not running, good battery! tune up, fuel line and an ON/OFF valve and she was purring good as new! total investment - about $15!

P9180009.JPG

seat is fine. it's black. I keep a dust cover on it...

I continually over load the u-channel frame... sagging on a couple of corners... I think its supposed to hold 1,000#s :rolleyes:

ck'd - HF says 1,000#

you did good Cowboy... sounds like an endless source. or close! I see scenes like this (yours) pasture after pasture all along the hiway on my trips up to my farm. only prob is I would have to stop and talk to the land owner, then rig up and cut it up. then haul it. sounds like a lot of work to me. lol. not like I dont have any chores there to do!!! besides, no shortage of good wood up at the place. some trimming planned and some lower limb drop from oak soon, should give me 3 cords +/- i'd say... guess will add that to the 2 cords in the barn... :D in the meantime, I do tend to like that EZ lawn scrounging stuff in the city in my neighborhood ~

zgp.jpg

Got the call today "I got a load of wood for you"! Probably 5 pickup loads, I got two today. Unfortunately it's wet and muddy where my wood pile is, so I had to unload up by the house. Looking forward to trying out that new splitter!
7ab4d53baf009487e61b64e0bcc4acba.jpg
db19158777dd2bfcf9f38f6003287e78.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Yep, black locust for sure. I never lucked into a nice dead one. Those thorns are evil, I swear they make the branch move so they can nab you.

Here's the burn pile of dry locust logs, a couple of year's supply there I reckon. Farmer says he's happy to deconstruct the pile a bit to make it easier to cut.

14th Apr 1.jpg

14th Apr 2.jpg

I made sure I did a good clean up job of the other locust today so he knows I'm not just going to make a mess and leave him all the cr@p to clean up. Now you see it...

13th Apr 6.jpg

Now you don't.

14th Apr 10.jpg

:)

Locust scrounge part 2, finished up what I started yesterday. A bit of Limby action down the big end today after he missed out yesterday. See the size of that red gum log top right of the pic, it is a monster.

14th Apr 7.jpg

14th Apr 8.jpg

14th Apr 9.jpg

14th Apr 6.jpg

The bigger stuff is still a bit green so that can wait for next year to burn.

14th Apr 4.jpg

This stuff however is ready to go.

14th Apr 5.jpg

About 5 cubes all up or 1.3 cord all up.

:)

here we are looking into one of my wood sheds at some firewood that is between 18 and 20 years old. could be older. the memory, thing! lol. I picked up 2 pcs other evening to add to an evening outdoor fire. wood was very heavy, solid... and to say the least - dry! bruned very well. actually better than I had anticipated. the wood is oak.P9180002.JPG

this wood is a bit older! pushing on an easy 35 years old. mite be a year or two less, maybe even a bit older. when I was younger splitting this firewood my gardener would help me and I would empty what ever I had left over from cold seasons... stack in the newly split... and then put in what we had taken out. I did that 4 or 5 times, then just filled the shed up to the front door. did that numerous times and the older wood just remained at the back. but now, I plan to burn it all up. little by little. piece or two here and there with the other wood that continually streams across my place from neighborhood scrounging...

this firewood is in the realm of being 35 years oldP9180004.JPG

Back