Anyone ever knocked the drive links off a chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I count 6 that have been hit maybe one more not shown. The three really bad ones are typical if the saw is still running and the chain has stopped. If there were only three, it is likely it wasn’t thrown just never installed in the sprocket.

Ron

I count 6 that have been hit maybe one more not shown. The three really bad ones are typical if the saw is still running and the chain has stopped. If there were only three, it is likely it wasn’t thrown just never installed in the sprocket.

Ron
It doesn't take long to figure out who's got a lot of trigger time in these threads does it Ron?

Had the enjoyment of sitting through a class last year about saw safety mainly chain maintenance, the biggest take away across the board is one fix and done. With a chain like that toss it in the bucket. @bitzer I know what you mean about a chain walking take a 60” bar that damn thing will toss a chain even trying to start a cut with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the enjoyment of sitting through a class last year about saw safety mainly chain maintenance, the biggest take away across the board is one fix and done. With a chain like that toss it in the bucket. @bitzer I know what you mean about a chain walking take a 60” bar that damn thing will toss a chain even trying to start a cut with it.

I'll bet. That's why they often start cuts with a smaller saw right? Probably a little tougher to put your knee into a 60" bar to snap the chain back over when you throw it. Probably set the saw down hill a ways huh?

I'll bet. That's why they often start cuts with a smaller saw right? Probably a little tougher to put your knee into a 60" bar to snap the chain back over when you throw it. Probably set the saw down hill a ways huh?

It’s cake to snap one around the trick is being tall enough to roll the sob on. Last time I ran it and had to snap it on I found a root put the handle of the saw in between it and the stump so I could snap it easier. There’s two ways to start cuts for a long bar a short bar like a 42 or an axe, I’ve only used the shorter bar method.

Thanks for the help guys.

I swear the internet is Ruining the world probably single handedly. If y’all knew me you wouldn’t speak to me like you have. For one you’d most likely respect me because I’m that kinda guy. In the least you’d know better than to talk to a 330# cedar hacker who actually has cut thousands of cords and never run a log splitter, like you treat people online.

I’m out on this one guys. The chain failure was a freak deal that’s never happened to me, believe me I’ve screwed up lots of equipment. The chain was new other than 2DL I added so it would go on the husky. (Yes, shockingly enough this poser has a chain breaker and riveter, I can fix the chain no problem just never done this to one) I bought it off amazon, I guess I’m a little suspicious of fraud products on there, that’s actually my main reason I even posted the damaged chain. We may never know, no doubt I probably did something wrong, but I’ve done something wrong many times before and it’s common for me to run a chain until it’s either dull or comes off the bar and I’ve never had this happen.

Lol. Yeah, I have pissed off many a redneck tree cutter. They don't like it when anyone tells them things that they don't want to hear.
If it is a cheapo chinese junk chain, well, it may be some crappy metal then.

In over 50 years of chain saw operations I have never seen any of my chain have the drivers being knocked off. That does not mean it can not happen. I am the kind who runs the sprockets until they start to vibrate then most of the time grab another saw. However if a person runs a sprocket until it starts to distinegrate then wo knows what mayham will occur. Of course when cutting limbs the chain gets twisted a bit when being derailed. Some times I will get a file to clean up the burrs on the chain and other times just put it back in the rails and keep going. Thanks

Thanks for the help guys.

I swear the internet is Ruining the world probably single handedly. If y’all knew me you wouldn’t speak to me like you have. For one you’d most likely respect me because I’m that kinda guy. In the least you’d know better than to talk to a 330# cedar hacker who actually has cut thousands of cords and never run a log splitter, like you treat people online.

I’m out on this one guys. The chain failure was a freak deal that’s never happened to me, believe me I’ve screwed up lots of equipment. The chain was new other than 2DL I added so it would go on the husky. (Yes, shockingly enough this poser has a chain breaker and riveter, I can fix the chain no problem just never done this to one) I bought it off amazon, I guess I’m a little suspicious of fraud products on there, that’s actually my main reason I even posted the damaged chain. We may never know, no doubt I probably did something wrong, but I’ve done something wrong many times before and it’s common for me to run a chain until it’s either dull or comes off the bar and I’ve never had this happen.
I definitely believe you even though I’ve never broke a drive link, I’m just a small time wood cutter.
Harley T loves to stir things up.

Back