Dogs on a small saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_289

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I ordered a set of dogs for my 36 Husqvarna. Do any of you use them on small saws like this? With a 14" bar, I think I would prefer the extra inch of bar.
db34071253608f9a2fe03e4d0c6d2985.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I do more of the up and down front to back with small saws, don’t usually use dogs, but handy sometimes I guess

Sent from Tapatalk

I don’t like big dawgs on anything 24” or shorter. They eat up too much bar and the dawgs are really for leverage above all else, which isn’t needed on a short bar with a sharp chain. The little ones are a nice bumper to protect the case, and I usually run the inner on those.

I'd rather have them.
My tiny cheap 25cc Chinese top handle has them, they help keep the front of the saw from getting beat up but you cant dog it into wood, it has no balls lol.
My pos 38cc homelite didn't have them, I flattened out the louvers on the muffler on it bucking up wood, it took me a bit to figure out why it was lacking power lol.
My 50cc saws have them but I only use them felling trees, its easier on the back.

In the past I used double dogs on my 266SE saws and up. But the smaller saws I have come with one or two dogs. Might have to go to a 18” bag on the little saws. My felling saws have double dogs. No slippage.

All of my saws have dogs. My ryobis have dogs that are cast onto the crankcase

My cheap plastic Echo electric saw has plastic dogs cast into the case. My 200t's have all had dogs on them, and they mainly limb. I haven't found the dogs get in the way of much and help me more than hinder.

Latest posts

Back