McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the saw condensers are 18 - 22 mfd so it it's off a saw any one will likely work but you may have to fiddle with the mounting.

You should find or make a felt wick oiler for the points cam. I will fit in the round hole on the left end in your pic and rub on the crankshaft. One or two drops of oil on the wick will work. Don't over oil it or it may get on the points contacts.

Most of the saw condensers are 18 - 22 mfd so it it's off a saw any one will likely work but you may have to fiddle with the mounting.

You should find or make a felt wick oiler for the points cam. I will fit in the round hole on the left end in your pic and rub on the crankshaft. One or two drops of oil on the wick will work. Don't over oil it or it may get on the points contacts.

Cool thanks, I've had a few cars with points and have a bunch of felt from a wool company, should work as a wick.

An active couple of days here! Always fun to see.

I'm disappointed to report that my 10-10 gasket did not seal properly and wept all the way around the tank..., except at the butt joint where I applied a dab of Dirko. It appears that I cut the material too thick and/or it has lost a bit of its elasticity sitting on the shelf since my last one. As seen in the pic, the only spot that actually conformed to the ridge on the tank was the area with the sealant. I assume that was because there was some give at the joint and the sealant allowed the material to expand around the ridge a little. I do recall may last one (on a PM700) was cut a lot more sloppily and was even a little ragged in spots, but it was cut thinner, too. I'll try another one cut thinner and see if that does the trick. If I have the same problem again, I can only guess the material has simply dried on the shelf over the last couple of years and may need a little help from a tube of Motoseal, or that I should try some 3/32 cork material to see if it will conform to the ridge better..., or break down and try the rubber 'O' ring approach.

On top of that, the fuel line sprang a slight weep leak at the tank. Time for the Teflon tape now, too. Call it 10-10 triage.

0414191135_resized.jpg

Wow, is that a tough looking tree. And please be careful. Glad your chaps worked.

Only just got the too about the 3rd trip out was just a silly miss placed foot saw was slowing down but that's all it takes

Depends on the wood, it will pull a 36”. 33” is the longest I run with any regularity. I also like the 33” on my 125 the best - not due to lack of power just easier for me to handle.

Chaps are a good thing. I used to wear them almost without exception but have gotten out of the habit in the last few years due to heat and difficulty in working in the brush. I need to get back in the habit.

Ron

ok so 32 isn't way out of the question then. The wood I'm normally cutting is normally soft us firewooders here never get oak or other hard stuff and the gum will be green and ok.

Good stuff Jethro. Looks like there's a few limbs on those.

Yes very limby pricks of things to be fair the trunk never even hits the ground.

Yes Jethro,a heck of a job! I like to hear the thunderous crash when they hit the ground.Lol Ya know I always thought many yrs.ago that chaps were just for saving wear & tear on your clothes,I had no idea they were for your protection.
Ed

Cheers Ed I'll never go without them again my hard hat took a mean wack too

An active couple of days here! Always fun to see.

I'm disappointed to report that my 10-10 gasket did not seal properly and wept all the way around the tank..., except at the butt joint where I applied a dab of Dirko. It appears that I cut the material too thick and/or it has lost a bit of its elasticity sitting on the shelf since my last one. As seen in the pic, the only spot that actually conformed to the ridge on the tank was the area with the sealant. I assume that was because there was some give at the joint and the sealant allowed the material to expand around the ridge a little. I do recall may last one (on a PM700) was cut a lot more sloppily and was even a little ragged in spots, but it was cut thinner, too. I'll try another one cut thinner and see if that does the trick. If I have the same problem again, I can only guess the material has simply dried on the shelf over the last couple of years and may need a little help from a tube of Motoseal, or that I should try some 3/32 cork material to see if it will conform to the ridge better..., or break down and try the rubber 'O' ring approach.

On top of that, the fuel line sprang a slight weep leak at the tank. Time for the Teflon tape now, too. Call it 10-10 triage.

I started using a locktight pipe thread sealer on my tank gaskets ,comes in a tube, basically a liquid teflon. I worked in a coal powered steam plant and used it to mate steel flanges.
Works on mac tanks also.

If you have a MiniMac laying around...

Many folks would suggest the only good thing about a MiniMac is the condenser. Just think about how many good condensers have been tossed because someone flooded a MiniMac and threw it away..., or were thoroughly embarrassed in front of their buddies by not being able to figure out how to get one apart and just junked it proclaiming, "Stupid saw!"

Good job everyone.
Vinny I'm glad you're going to use it that's what it's for exactly and it's what it deserves.

I went cutting today too and cut down my biggest tree and it went perfectly a big macrocarpa probably 6 or 7 cords worth.

View attachment 730127
View attachment 730133 the big old thing had a good lean on so I plunged it and snipped the back I don't want no barberchair

That's a 24 inch bar and I'm struggling with it big time what can these pull? 32? I really need a bigger saw but it ain't in the budget for a while. This 800 really goes well I love it she never misses a beat. I also ran the two 7-10s a couple or three tanks each and a 10-10 just cos it was sad lol. Yea
View attachment 730131 there's another 3 this big just F$%ing huge for me 40 inch mite do it from both sides. Yes that is a fresh cut in my chaps:( had a whoopsy daisy today.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/222352258171

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So why are some of these old Macs getting so spendy? A nice 850 just sold for nearly $1600.00 with shipping. The last couple years have made me wish I had a garage full of them a decade ago.

Can’t say for sure, but that 850 was the cleanest I have seen. You can buy 3 or more clean 800s for that kind of money.

A new equivalent Stihl will put you back $1200.

Ron

Can’t say for sure, but that 850 was the cleanest I have seen. You can buy 3 or more clean 800s for that kind of money.

A new equivalent Stihl will put you back $1200.

Ron

I have to say the cost of the new stihl blows my mind , but then again I cut down trees for free for freinds and the quotes they get are staggering.

Back