looking for a different saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Graff

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Seeing as my MS170 has decided not to work, I"ve been looking for a smaller saw, but one that could be the middle saw in a 3 saw plan when I decide to get another small saw. So kinda looking for something in the mid sized range.

So, the choices currently are a Stihl ms260, Husky 340, Husky 543XP, and Milwaukee M18.

As for the M18, I already have a bunch of tools.

For the bigger saw, I have a Husky 365 Special. Looking for something light and nimble for limbing, cutting hedgerows, and such.

I'm not against getting a new motor for the MS170. Was looking at the engine for a MS180 to install, but it's about a third of the price of a new MS170. And it's likely that I'll require the saw before I could get the engine and have time to rebuild it.

Your going from a smaller cc saw to a bigger one. I suggest the Husqvarna 460 rancher. It will meet all your needs. If your going to stay smaller look at the husky 55?

Heard good things about echos. I had a blue makita ea4300 (same as a dollar ps421) Light saw and super easy to start. Ran great for me, I muff modded it and took out the cat. Sold it too a tree service guy. Ran into him about 6 months later. Said it was still his go too small saw.

Well, I got the old saw going, so I can take time and save for something better. I really like to get a 346xp. Haven't been able to find one.

The rule of thumb for years was anything that’s used was about 50% the cost of new. Now the prices of used are more like 75% of the cost of new. We hit a certain point we might as well go new.

I paid $175 for a used Stihl 170 in excellent like new condition. Recently one of the hardware stores had a sale on the same new saw for $159. Just my luck.

What do we do wait to see any sales or just buy it when something comes along.

Amazon had Husqvarna 460 rancher for $499 a while back. If we signed up for the amazon Visa card we got a $100 gift card, plus free shipping, I got my sons 460 for $399. Paid the card off when the bill came.

Latest posts

Back