My $65000 cigarette lighter (Powerstroke diesel)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GMC is the way to go.
Great trucks with great diesel engines.
Many have over 500K with no problems.

Just for reference....And is last then 65K.
Guigi47, I have come to love and respect you for the daily posts you normally make on another thread. But going for a duramax over a Cummins. HA HA.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Guigi47, I have come to love and respect you for the daily posts you normally make on another thread. But going for a duramax over a Cummins. HA HA.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have to go with the facts, with today's fact.
Cummings use to be great.....use to be.
Duramax, today is better.
I would not pay my money for something what WAS good.
I personally own a Toyota Tundra Limited Edition. I have no need for anything big. I tow only my boat.
But if I would, That would be the GMC Denali. That is my opinion.

I don’t mess with diesels any more, gas motors only. IMO The expense of maintenance, fuel, repairs and the premium you pay up front will never be overcome by the economy and extra power you get with the diesels. YMMV but that has been my experience with a number of diesels over the years. Never had a Cummins but pretty much everything else going all the way back to the 5.7 olds motors.

The 5.4l in my superduty is certainly no powerhouse but has pulled anything I asked it to even over its limit. It just takes a little bit to get it going. 170k miles and still going strong, but slow. It’s funny, every diesel guy I know says the same thing. “These motors are great once you put $10k into them.” For that much money I can buy 3 long blocks.

Jeez, hopefully that's the end of it.

I could buy two 7.3's for that. :D

I could buy my flatbed 7.3 19x over for the money I have in this truck!! Hahaha

But I can’t show up to bid $125k additions in a sub $3k truck.
CFA2E68B-DD3F-4F41-8E5B-181E82357472.jpeg

6C6EB23D-D328-4597-A5CA-B803DD94A14D.jpeg

I've worked on vehicles since I was a small kid and I still do professionally I honestly cant stand all this praise for the durmax you guys do know there made by isuzu right? Just like the older Colorados and canyons are isuzu powerstrokes were international engines up until ford started making the 6.7 in house if your looking for a diesel it's a powerstroke in a ford or a Cummings in a ram or a Nissan titan is the way to go not to mention the horrible bedside door fender cab corner rust of the gm product I've seen lots of 6.7s and this is the odd man out they were throwing rods in the early versions I'm sure someone didnt do proper maintenance or improper repair work and beat the snot out of it for it to give up the ghost just had a 6.7 in at work with over 300 thousand on it all original engine all my opinion though

I want to clarify this... I don’t judge a truck by the engine and only by the engine. The truck is a sum of its parts, the engine being only one. Ford has built the best *truck* without the best *engine* for a long time now. The 7.3 Powerstroke was a dog that just happened to be dependable and in a great *truck.* Anybody remember the Dodge trucks from that time period with the 5.9 6BT? I sure do. Lots of automatic transmission problems, rust and electrical issues. Not problems I saw with Ford or Chevy/GM trucks of the time. They all rode like ****, and the GM trucks were dogs on power and rusted as bad as the Dodge trucks.

Then Ford started using the six liter Navistar engine. Great trucks, bad motor if not taken care of. Still, Dodge was having transmission problems and GM... Well, they built an adequate product. Then came the days of stupid power numbers starting with the 6.4 liter PSD, which was a good engine still in a good truck. Towards the end of its run Dodge started putting the 6.7 ISB in its trucks, and it was cool. GM still built an adequate product.

Then we get close to where we are now. 6.7 ISB, 6.7 PSD and the 6.6 Duramax. The 6.7 ISB is a great engine. But Dodge still hasn’t caught up to Ford or GM on the stuff around it. Then we have the V8 vs I6 debate. An I6 will have a better torque curve for pulling heavier loads, but most commercial guys have bigger trucks for heavy stuff. So... The V8 wins out in accelerating and getting around because it builds RPM faster. Right now GM builds the best riding truck, Ford does okay, and Dodge trucks ride like crap in comparison. All three of them are probably adequate, especially since Dodge went to the AISIN transmission.

I know this thread is about a guy getting screwed on engine repairs but there is way more that differentiates these brands than the engines. All the Cummins guys are probably right when they say the have the best engine. Don’t trash the Duramax for being an Isuzu design, that company has been building diesels for a long time and are known for fuel economy and longevity. Then, well, Ford got it right with the early 6.7 PSD and everything else has been a downhill slide as far as being able to work on them.

As far as the Nissan Titan... Well, let me just say I was not impressed when I tried to use the demo unit to do stuff I’d ask any of the other 3/4 tons to do. That is all.

F44FEB69-D512-4C96-B836-A1EE306F4E88.jpeg
^^ new motor is in.

4DBE73FC-9725-4260-AA7D-CBB3CF52C977.jpeg

The worst of the lifters on the left, the best of the lifters on the right. You can see the diameter of the roller on the left is tiny compared to the one on the right.

67CC6724-C391-4B78-AAF5-BB82F325C4FD.jpeg

The worst lobe on the cam shaft on the passenger side

So what we think happened is the oil feed tube that lubes the lifters broke (we think from a manufacturing defect) right on top of cylinder 3. Pretty sure the last lifter wasn’t getting any oil, so it was just grinding itself on the cam. Must have been getting some oil just not enough because it wasn’t making any crazy noises

Oh my.
That cam lobe looks awful.
I noticed you believe manufacturing defect. Does Ford agree?
If so- is there absolutely nothing they can do for you, other than lighten your wallet?

What I’m getting at is, do the problems pre-date the end of your warranty?

We believe a manufacturing defect because of the break. Very clean and no marks on it, we originally though a pushrod did it but the oil feed line is 2x as thick as a pushrod, and there’s no marks on it where it got hit by something. He said probably on a really cold start one morning the cold oil getting forced through there just broke it off.

Ford made it very clear, they would do nothing for me. The only way I’ll get anything from them is through small claims court.

I asked the mechanic how long it would take that lifter to look like that, he said said that it’s imposible to put a time on it, what they could do is put a mileage number on it. He said 100% it happened before the warranty was up, based on the size of the worn lifter.

Hmmm.
Is this Ford doing the autopsy and engine replacement?
I go back to what I said earlier about customer value score. That sounds exactly like the Chinese Government putting a social media score on it's citizens based on how much they suck up to the communist. If Ford has screwed you long enough and for enough money than they may let you get a free one this time so they can keep screwing you in the future.

Unfortunately, we aren't millionaires so we can pay lawyers a million dollars to take thousands out of Ford's pocket so they will quit doing this crap.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hmmm.
Is this Ford doing the autopsy and engine replacement?

No way, you think a dealership would let me be there and take the head off?

The dealership it was at told me they’d yank the motor and send it back whole. When I asked if they’d take the head off they said it’s 4 hours at 139/hr.
The mechanic I’m at now, I watched him pull the head in about 5 minutes...

I go back to what I said earlier about customer value score. That sounds exactly like the Chinese Government putting a social media score on it's citizens based on how much they suck up to the communist. If Ford has screwed you long enough and for enough money than they may let you get a free one this time so they can keep screwing you in the future.

Unfortunately, we aren't millionaires so we can pay lawyers a million dollars to take thousands out of Ford's pocket so they will quit doing this crap.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Small claims case in PA costs $75 bucks to file...

Small claims case in PA costs $75 bucks to file...
I am not a lawyer nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. So check what I am saying as it is not legal advice:
I think small claims court only handles up to $10000 cases. But even then Ford will show up with a staff of lawyers and you can't get a judge to take you serious without one. That is when the lawyer will take you for more money than the case is worth. I would like to see a actual justice system in this country rather than the circus we currently have.

The 7.3 Powerstroke was a dog that just happened to be dependable and in a great *truck.*

You might wanna do some reading up on International.

They didn't just happen to put out a dependable engine.

Back