In need of 288xp porting tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yotaismygame

Juiced Saws #GetJuiced
Reaction score
I'm about to start a full rebuild on a 288xp and I'm having trouble finding solid info on what porting really works on this saw. At the moment I'm thinking, cut the base and squish band, or make a pop up, plus some port work. How about the timing? Does this saw respond well to a timing advance? I'm not looking to make the most powerful saw ever, but a strong saw is the goal.

I don't expect full on instructions but some tips and pointers are greatly appreciated.

-Ian

No timing advance as it can make hard hot starts, cut base and squishband leave piston OEM for ease of replacement if need be.

I got her done a about a week ago. It’s posted in a few different spots on both forums. At least someone eventually replied. So thanks for that. Few guys from the other forum helped me out.

I try and bounce back and forth between here and O .... P.... E....

How did it turn out?

I advance the timing on the (example) 2100’s the width of the scribed line we line up when its timed. It still starts easy. Just a little advanced to help out the advanced port timing. On the other ignitions with no markings I scribe a line from the crankcase to the ignition when I can. On some I file slots in the mounting holes to advance it. Just to squeeze a tad more out of it.

Up it does. And still easy to start. I found this out decades ago on the late 70’s Husqvarna dirtbikes. I ported every engine a tad more. The last bike I did all the changes plus advance the timing. The bike would fly.

Did you go to a bigger carb? I been wondering which carb would upgrade my 262 I’m porting.
I wonder if a 181/288 carb would interchange?

I didn’t. Just a base/band cut, port shaping and adjusting and advanced the timing. All the usual work saw porting type stuff. I ran it first with stock timing and my initial feeling was the saw is strong but I wasn’t blown away or anything. Went back and advanced the timing and was very happy with it. No weird starting problems or anything.

Out of curiosity, how much did you advance the timing? How did you measure the advance to be accurate to what you wanted (if you had a number in mind) ?

For the 262 saw the bigger 281/288 carb will work,you may have to swap the throttle or choke shaft or make small changes to adapt it,but it will run stronger.

Back