Low compression on my new Stihl MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you just do this cutaway? Cool if you did
I did this some time ago for the "other" forum where we had a discussion about compression testers. The schrader has to be leak-free or you are wasting your time. The best way to prove this is to remove any other schraders inline. That way you are only using the one closest to the cylinder.

Do you have the saw or does Stihl shop still have saw?

I have my saw back I haven't shiped it yet. I thought I'd run a few tanks thru see if it get better that way Stihl can't say I haven't real tried. But it's so frustrating to run... I just hate running it.

Instead of adding a schrader to your existing adapter which isn't tremendously easy as you not only have to tap the threads for the valve and then you must machine the correct seat for the valve. If you look at any schrader valve (old bicycle tube) you'll find the seat is part of the valve stem. See photo below...

An easier option would be to fill your existing adapter up with JB weld or other epoxy and then drill a 1/16" hole through the epoxy. This would allow airflow and reduce the excess volume considerably.

I know that why I tried to take a valve stem and turn it down to standard size and do a press fit. The piece I tried to use was a brass stem and I tried to part it off holding it in a collet but it just sheared off. I had a second one ...that's when I noticed I could just install the Schrader. But I could have trouble... I should just by the mightvac gauge.

I would just send it to Stihl right away, or are you trying to keep us in suspense on what the cause is? I don't think its the compression but i do understand your desire to record the most accurate reading...you just need that correct adapter on that tiny tack site that Steve forwarded, its cheaper than any other option i have seen. Then either take the schrader out of the hose you have to temporarily to check the compression on that 10mm plug, or use another hose off a different tester if you have more than one. Or is the saw starting to loosen up after running a few more tanks? It may still need many more hours if it started super tight.

I would just send it to Stihl right away, or are you trying to keep us in suspense on what the cause is? I don't think its the compression but i do understand your desire to record the most accurate reading...you just need that correct adapter on that tiny tack site that Steve forwarded, its cheaper than any other option i have seen. Then either take the schrader out of the hose you have to temporarily to check the compression on that 10mm plug, or use another hose off a different tester if you have more than one. Or is the saw starting to loosen up after running a few more tanks? It may still need many more hours if it started super tight.
I wouldn’t do anymore compression tests, I would keep going up the ladder until you talk to someone at stihl who can make this right! Your saw is most definitely underpowered & you should be able to fall & buck small diameter Doug fir with correct bar & I believe you said square ground chain , it should not stop in the cut even during breakin, you got a lemon you should be able to just go and use saw not be taking compression tests on new saw! I have been loyal to stihl brand for some yrs. I bought a 461 in 2015 and it would leak gas down on the footpad of tank even before I ran it, bought in Co & I was in another town called them & they said they had never heard of anything like that took it to stihl shop and they put a new tank vent in it & said that it was fixed I knew this was bulls-t,they also scratched & got black grit all over bottom of new saw,I called back to dealer in Co & by that time it was known that Stihl had recalled 461 for wrong fuel line, they said to take it back to stihl dealer I had previously used I said no mail me the correct fuel line & I will do it myself. First& last time for warranty work. This took a few months so I know your frustration, saw has been flawless since then! Did you ask to upgrade to 462 I can’t remember if you did this, I believe you would be very happy with 462 if they would take your saw back & reimburse you on trade.

I wouldn’t do anymore compression tests, I would keep going up the ladder until you talk to someone at stihl who can make this right! Your saw is most definitely underpowered & you should be able to fall & buck small diameter Doug fir with correct bar & I believe you said square ground chain , it should not stop in the cut even during breakin, you got a lemon you should be able to just go and use saw not be taking compression tests on new saw! I have been loyal to stihl brand for some yrs. I bought a 461 in 2015 and it would leak gas down on the footpad of tank even before I ran it, bought in Co & I was in another town called them & they said they had never heard of anything like that took it to stihl shop and they put a new tank vent in it & said that it was fixed I knew this was bulls-t,they also scratched & got black grit all over bottom of new saw,I called back to dealer in Co & by that time it was known that Stihl had recalled 461 for wrong fuel line, they said to take it back to stihl dealer I had previously used I said no mail me the correct fuel line & I will do it myself. First& last time for warranty work. This took a few months so I know your frustration, saw has been flawless since then! Did you ask to upgrade to 462 I can’t remember if you did this, I believe you would be very happy with 462 if they would take your saw back & reimburse you on trade.

yes...I was so frustrated after getting it back from the second shop and run that saw cutting multiple cookies with two different bar length 20" and 25". After seeing what my 034 cut right beside it, this saw sucks. The next day I took it to the shop of purchase just to have them tell me that's how all the new Stihl's run period! I was willing to trade this saw in for a used saw price on a 462, they told me they wouldn't sell me a new saw nor did they want my saw period! As far as I concern this saw was worth nothing to them at any price, with them being unwilling to make any attempt to make this right or sell me a new saw... even if I ate this saw pretty much says I'm have unreasonable expectation. I offer the second shop this saw as a used saw purchase on different saw and they never called me back which they said they would once the owner was back in the shop...pretty much says the same thing. Granted JD the Stihl regional manager was out of the office at the time for over a week, may have something to do with it. But they should have still called me. I still believe if I sent this saw to Stihl it won't be fixed I don't see a regional manager (he did say he would personally check this saw out) run my saw for 40 hrs as he said is the time it takes to break in a new saw. I asked a cutter buddy of mine what he experience was on new saw break in and he's never seen this nor experienced anything like I have. I going to go look at a 361 today which is almost new, the guy bought... it cut up two trees hasn't used it since. If so I'll sent this saw to Stihl...but I believe at this point I'm stuck with this saw forever and I'm out $1000. I already pulled the dwg off and my oiler. So for $1000 I got a light 25" bar and chain and the rest is worthless unless Stihl actually does something...not holding my breath. At this point I have no faith in this saw , it dangerous I my opinion! I won't cut with it. I'm just pretty discussed over the whole thing, and I don't believe it will ever be right. If this 361 is any good. I'll sent this saw to Stihl stop wasting my time, If they do something or not I'm out of this saw and it can sit in the barn. I'm that upset over this whole thing!

yes...I was so frustrated after getting it back from the second shop and run that saw cutting multiple cookies with two different bar length 20" and 25". After seeing what my 034 cut right beside it, this saw sucks. The next day I took it to the shop of purchase just to have them tell me that's how all the new Stihl's run period! I was willing to trade this saw in for a used saw price on a 462, they told me they wouldn't sell me a new saw nor did they want my saw period! As far as I concern this saw was worth nothing to them at any price, with them being unwilling to make any attempt to make this right or sell me a new saw... even if I ate this saw pretty much says I'm have unreasonable expectation. I offer the second shop this saw as a used saw purchase on different saw and they never called me back which they said they would once the owner was back in the shop...pretty much says the same thing. Granted JD the Stihl regional manager was out of the office at the time for over a week, may have something to do with it. But they should have still called me. I still believe if I sent this saw to Stihl it won't be fixed I don't see a regional manager (he did say he would personally check this saw out) run my saw for 40 hrs as he said is the time it takes to break in a new saw. I asked a cutter buddy of mine what he experience was on new saw break in and he's never seen this nor experienced anything like I have. I going to go look at a 361 today which is almost new, the guy bought... it cut up two trees hasn't used it since. If so I'll sent this saw to Stihl...but I believe at this point I'm stuck with this saw forever and I'm out $1000. I already pulled the dwg off and my oiler. So for $1000 I got a light 25" bar and chain and the rest is worthless unless Stihl actually does something...not holding my breath. At this point I have no faith in this saw , it dangerous I my opinion! I won't cut with it. I'm just pretty discussed over the whole thing, and I don't believe it will ever be right. If this 361 is any good. I'll sent this saw to Stihl stop wasting my time, If they do something or not I'm out of this saw and it can sit in the barn. I'm that upset over this whole thing!
There are guys on here that can fix it if all else fails

You’re unbelievable.
If what you’ve posted in this thread is the truth then you’re a fool for not sending it to JD. regardless if you think he will run it for 40 hours or not. It’s the best option you’ve received from anyone. But you’re still persistent on keeping a saw “that disgusts you when running it”

Unfollowing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re unbelievable.
If what you’ve posted in this thread is the truth then you’re a fool for not sending it to JD. regardless if you think he will run it for 40 hours or not. It’s the best option you’ve received from anyone. But you’re still persistent on keeping a saw “that disgusts you when running it”

Unfollowing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can believe what he posted! He should send it to Stihl at their cost no doubt! After that if no satisfaction I my self personally would send it to someone on here who knows that model well, get to the root cause ,fix it,document it and throw it back in Stihls face! If it was a 200 T, I would have it running already!

Seeing you can't take a video of you cutting with it, get someone independent who knows their shite to give it a go cutting a log & see what they say.

There are guys on here that can fix it if all else fails[/
There are guys on here that can fix it if all else fails
Good Luck James. If Stihl won’t help you you may want to consider lone wolfs previous post & start saving your money to put toward a saw mod.Turn it into a saw you can’t stand to think about to one you can’t wait to run! I don’t believe at this point Stihl intends to stand behind their product. From looking through their 2019 catalog they may be more interested in selling battery operated eq to homeowners than dancing with the guys who brought them to the dance! Hope I’m wrong l have been wrong before !

To the op, I know how you feel, I bought a 880 last July/August. Its being plagued by carb issues which the dealer indicates is my fault, really after 13 tanks of fuel, stihl customers service sucks bigtime. What's quite funny is that I've been running saws longer than that dealers been in business

I'm going to send this 362 to JD regardless, with all that I've tried to get Stihl and these shops to deal with this.. have no faith in getting this saw working right. I just don't believe it will ever be right. So...run this 40 hours and I gain maybe 10 to 15psi ...so I have a 125psi saw at best. The shops have 5 compression test on this saw...5! So...why didn't they just say let me call the regional manager and send this saw to Stihl even JD says this saw need ran more for what I hear 10 to 15psi more compression. Several other have posted what they have on their saws it not 110psi and their saws don't stop. So, how can I trust this saw as is ...its not going to get any better. Stihl going run this saw and say I just need to run it more pretty much is what I think they will do...it should stop in a 15" cut due to chip load. Even the 2nd shop says that! They ran this saw and admit it stops...but again they sent me home with this junk. The more I think about this and what other have posted and my experience with these dealer. I think they did talk to JD and that's what they were told, I don't know that for sure but that's I think. Why did the second shop change their tune so fast about the compression. The more people on this site post about their saws and from the video i saw on this site and from what JD said...they just going to run this saw, and tell me I need to run it 40 hours to break it in. The more I think about this my belief .. Stihl are going to run this saw and just sent it back. I have a chance to buy 361 with maybe 3 hours on it for $500. I know this 361 saw will run. I'll send this saw to JD but I don't think they will ever do much with it. I don't need a 462 ... I have 460 that run just fine does what I want. I want a 11-12lb saw but I really don't want another 362 after this one. I can get a lighter saw with the 361 over the 362 and it will work...that I'm sure of. I'm just so discussed about this 362 after I ran it on those cookie cuts, the next day I would taken almost anything to get out of this saw its that bad. JD said sent the saw to him...that's what I going to do...you know I'm customer that buys a lot of Stihl saws. The 1st shop or the 2nd shop really cares that is the plain truth...what make me think JD does. If I can get something that runs, I just hate running this saw.

I'm going to send this 362 to JD regardless, with all that I've tried to get Stihl and these shops to deal with this.. have no faith in getting this saw working right. I just don't believe it will ever be right. So...run this 40 hours and I gain maybe 10 to 15psi ...so I have a 125psi saw at best. The shops have 5 compression test on this saw...5! So...why didn't they just say let me call the regional manager and send this saw to Stihl even JD says this saw need ran more for what I hear 10 to 15psi more compression. Several other have posted what they have on their saws it not 110psi and their saws don't stop. So, how can I trust this saw as is ...its not going to get any better. Stihl going run this saw and say I just need to run it more pretty much is what I think they will do...it should stop in a 15" cut due to chip load. Even the 2nd shop says that! They ran this saw and admit it stops...but again they sent me home with this junk. The more I think about this and what other have posted and my experience with these dealer. I think they did talk to JD and that's what they were told, I don't know that for sure but that's I think. Why did the second shop change their tune so fast about the compression. The more people on this site post about their saws and from the video i saw on this site and from what JD said...they just going to run this saw, and tell me I need to run it 40 hours to break it in. The more I think about this my belief .. Stihl are going to run this saw and just sent it back. I have a chance to buy 361 with maybe 3 hours on it for $500. I know this 361 saw will run. I'll send this saw to JD but I don't think they will ever do much with it. I don't need a 462 ... I have 460 that run just fine does what I want. I want a 11-12lb saw but I really don't want another 362 after this one. I can get a lighter saw with the 361 over the 362 and it will work...that I'm sure of. I'm just so discussed about this 362 after I ran it on those cookie cuts, the next day I would taken almost anything to get out of this saw its that bad. JD said sent the saw to him...that's what I going to do...you know I'm customer that buys a lot of Stihl saws. The 1st shop or the 2nd shop really cares that is the plain truth...what make me think JD does. If I can get something that runs, I just hate running this saw.

The 5 compression test are null if they were using the wrong tester like stated. Post a vid. The problem could be a simple fix with a fresh set of eyes and ears.

I can believe what he posted! He should send it to Stihl at their cost no doubt! After that if no satisfaction I my self personally would send it to someone on here who knows that model well, get to the root cause ,fix it,document it and throw it back in Stihls face! If it was a 200 T, I would have it running already!

If I had it for a half hour it would be either fixed or would know what needed to be done to fix it. These things are just simple mechanical devices, once a sound methodical diagnosis is done any fault will be found whether its a mechanical or electrical issue its not rocket science. Still I think the saw should go back to Stihl corp for a proper diagnosis, if they can`t figure this out they have no business building saws. I have been following this thread from its start and posted a few times, one thing I did not see addressed is if the oiler is working well enough to oil the bars sufficiently or if the bars oil passage to the chain channel had been drilled out to allow enough oil flow to prevent the chain from jamming. I have to drill every new bar I get in now as the hole is less than 1/16 dia and usually partially clogged with paint. Drill them out to 7/64" and they oil fine, if not the chain and bar heat up and sticks bad enough to stall the clutch.

Oh well I think I’m outta here as well, still wish the OP luck.gotta say I’ve had dang good luck with my 461’s! see you guys on another thread somewhere,he put a 462 Oiler on saw at purchase, these oilers have little pin you can ping in & it makes it a h.o. Oiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back