266se problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikkel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there.

I’m having problems with my 266 se

I was buckin a beech tree and suddenly it started high revving and den died.

The next morning (today) I Tried to start it. It Didn’t work, tried a new spark plug. It helped but I couldn’t get it to idle. Turned op the idle screw, running it ind to overrevving again.
And now I’m here
Need help

It`s time for service and maintenance now. Did the saw had service in the past yet? Change all filters (air, fuel, also the small one in the carb), clean the carburetor and rebuilt with a rebuilt kit, do a pressure and vac test on the engine crankcase. It can be possible that you have an air leak and this could be the reason for your high revving. Remove the muffler and have a look on the piston if it is scored. Best thing would be to replace all rubber parts (gaskets etc.).

You can get OEM kits off ebay, my personal preference. Or a small engine shop should have them; they're usually less than $10 - American, don't know about Denmark though.

I think DND summed it up nicely, but I'd do the checks before replacing anything, you might be wasting money if your piston got scored up; or your seals are bad and you decide not to fix that. There's a bunch of checks you can do on your carb too to see if it's even worth rebuilding. You'll need a mityvac or similar and I usually use some canned fuel to wet the checks.

image.jpg Tog it apart and found this. Is that for the bin, or can it be saved ?
Didn’t feel anything in the cylinder or du I need to replace that to ?

Does the ring move freely in the groove? It looks like some kind of heat related breakdown of lubrication. My guess is it is due to an air leak.
Personally - and this from a dealer mechanic, bear - I would not re use that. Some others on here may suggest otherwise.

I don't really know about this but I've heard you can use some really fine grit sandpaper to clean up those scores and it might run fine. Someone else will have to chime in on that. But it is also important to suss out the original cause of the failure so as not to wind up right back there.

I don't really know about this but I've heard you can use some really fine grit sandpaper to clean up those scores and it might run fine. Someone else will have to chime in on that. But it is also important to suss out the original cause of the failure so as not to wind up right back there.
Thanks you so much for you help today. I think I know the coarse now I will upload I pic tomorrow to be sure.

The first thing is why it scored. I’m thinking it needs crankbearings and seals, plus new top end kit.

If it was together you could leak test it. If it’s apart check the crankshaft for play in the lower rod bearing. I would check the shafts on the crank too. If the crank is ok then I would rebuild it. How’s the cylinder look?

The bearings are fine and there is no play. I think there were a leak in the plastic boot the carp. Sits on

Im trying to find a cylinder kit . There was no luck getting a oem kit at the local husqvarna dealer I Sweden!!
Dos anyone had any luck with the 52 mm meteor kit on eBay?
Or know where to get it in Europe?

Welcome to AS Mikkel.
As @Huskybill said you will need to figure out why the piston got scored in the first place(wear the air leak is). If you do not figure that out first and you put a new piston or kit on it will look just like that one in no time at all. Looking at that piston the cylinder should clean up but I would not reuse the piston. The meteor kits are good quality, I would steer away from the Chinese kits if it were me, and I would also try to clean up the original cylinder and only replace the piston.
It would be good if you could hook up with another member in your area @Tor R is up your way, maybe he can help direct you to someone, or help with any language barriers.

Back