Recommendations for bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually use jonsered oil cause we sell it at work. But a week ago I picked up a gallon of itasca oil cause I was out and needed some and man this stuff is thin but it seems to oil well. I hope it is good cause I don't want to ruin my new tsumara bar.

Do we run 30wt oil in the summer and 10wt oil in the winter? I mix the heavier oil with a tad of kerosene and try to keep in war in the truck when hauling. At night it’s in the woodstove heated garage with the saws.

I usually use jonsered oil cause we sell it at work. But a week ago I picked up a gallon of itasca oil cause I was out and needed some and man this stuff is thin but it seems to oil well. I hope it is good cause I don't want to ruin my new tsumara bar.
That's all i have been running and it was always nice and tacky. . Went to my shops open house and grabbed a jug off the shelf. (never looked at label) opened it up last last week and it poured out like water. WTF. i called my shop ( always a great place) and asked what was up. they got a good deal on 10W and bought some. The usual is 30W and pours like molasses even in the summer.

When I got my ms310 I had McCulloch bar oil, and my bar oil tank was only using a quarter per tank of gas. Couldn't find a fault with the saw. Bought Stihl stuff, been fine. Unless something in the line was cleared during me checking it out, my assumption is that it was the oil thickness

The only time we’ve seen any issues with some bar oils husky, echo, poulan is running the harvesters where you have hydraulic pressure pushing the bar vs the self feeding of the chain. For most saw applications anything you can get a hold of labeled as a bar oil will work if it’s a medium weight oil for all seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back