Figure the odds?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My son-in-law hooked me up with a job cutting up a HUGE Oak tree for one of my daughters co-workers. I had no idea the tree was going to be nearly as big as it was, I was just told a friend had an old Oak tree go down in her driveway in a storm. Armed with my 480CD, CS-600P and both of my 55's I made the trip. It was about 2.5 hours South of here in Cincinnati Ohio. The Oak tree was over 100 years old and we had to cross-cut the pieces to manage them. Somewhere during the cross-cutting operation the CS-600P just quit cutting, chain was HOSED.

I tossed it aside and finished up with the 480CD. We finally got it all loaded up and was tossing on one of the last pieces and found out why we hosed a chain.

I've cut many a nail in my day in old trees, especially if there were in town or in someones front yard. Just figure the odds of cutting a nail diagonally and exactly in half. I had forgotten about the incident and was loading up the boiler a few weeks ago and low and behold there it was. So I cut the nail out and made it into a wall hanger for my son-in-laws "man cave".

It was a great experience, one of the hardest days of work I can remember, and he'll have something to remind him of it.........Cliff

IMG_4695.JPG IMG_4688.JPG IMG_4690.JPG IMG_2299.JPG

Thanks. I like the Gatormade trailer, only problem I've had with it is that they routed the wiring to the axles for the brakes in the wrong place and it got but in two when I loaded the trailer really heavy. Fixed that issue and no troubles since.

It's been from Ohio to Florida half a dozen times, and three Elk hunting trips to Colorado. Just put a new set of tires on it after all that.

Giving the nail in the wood as a gift to my son-in-law this weekend.......Cliff

Not a good day when finding steel or castiron in the wood. Ouch.

I’m cutting in the forest where metal shouldn’t be inside trees. In the middle of a 18” bucked log about 24” round I see a purple color dye area when I started splitting. As a continued on I found a large eye bolt screwed into the tree and the tree grew around it. Lucky I didn’t hit it with the saw.

I hit a 2” pipe inside a tree once with a brand new .404” chain on my new 2100. The tree grew around an old steel fence post was probably a gate post. The tree trunk was over 30” in diameter. So much for doing someone a favor. I repaired the chain with those kits. Not sure if they offer repair kits today.

Let’s add a new word to logging vocabulary it’s ,,,,,

TREE MINES, metal found inside trees, can be nails, barbed wire, metal fence, pipes, eye bolts etc.

Couple of years ago I was helping a friend of mine who has a tree removal service take out a massive Maple tree in a front yard. He got all the large limbs on the ground then started taking down the trunk, which wasn't more than about 8' tall.

About 4 cuts into the deal his saw just stopped cutting. He grabbed another saw, same thing. Something was destroying the chains instantly.

I took my 480CD and made a cut about a foot below the problem area and good to go. We discovered later after cross-cutting around the problem area that there was a coke bottle right in the middle of the tree causing the issues! Someone must have sat it there decades ago and tree grew right up around it........Cliff

Coke bottles when I worked for the car dealer we had a rattle in the rear quarter panel when we hit bumps with the car. Inside the panel was a coke bottle with a note “betcha you had fun finding this one.” Coke bottles the glass weapon of jokesters

Yikes! That would be a show-stopper for sure.

Last summer a massive Oak went down near here. The limbs on it were around 24" and the trunk had to be close to 40" across.

I put the big bar on the 480CD and started taking pieces out of the trunk, about 8-10" wide to keep the weight down. As I got to the last 4' or so the saw started grabbing and the chain dulled pretty quickly.

I kept cutting, touching up the chain a couple of times. When we finally got it down to a stump we took a closer look at the pieces and there was fence right in the middle. It was black in color and had rusted away enough it didn't completely destroy the chain when I cut it, but the tree had grown completely around it.......Cliff

Here's the biggest tree we've got into in recent years. It was in the side yard of an old farmhouse my nephew purchased and is renovating. Amazingly we didn't hit any metal at all on that job. I cut the trunk up in 10" or so pieces then had to carefully roll them out and cross-cut them into 4 to 6 pieces so we could manage them under the splitter..........Cliff
IMG_0788.JPG

Back