Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaaaaaarrrgh!
7e24f97d9693c5fcc884b0118f50f3a9.jpg
95ce96593a791ed4200ed4608bcb0aee.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Aaaaaaarrrgh!
7e24f97d9693c5fcc884b0118f50f3a9.jpg
95ce96593a791ed4200ed4608bcb0aee.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Jeff have you ever though of getting out of firewood and getting into breeding frogs and salamanders for pet stores ;)

Mike that’s that’s a lot of truck for little money. Pretty sure they cost four times that here in Aus.

Jeff have you ever though of getting out of firewood and getting into breeding frogs and salamanders for pet stores ;)

Mike that’s that’s a lot of truck for little money. Pretty sure they cost four times that here in Aus.

Hey Jeff, that's one very flat cord in your signature :laugh:.

Got out today for another armed bushwalk, no pigs again! plenty of sign here and there so will keep doing the walks and see what happens. Also went down to the "Box Patch" as I call it and cut up some Yellow box (pretty sure that's what it is) anyway got around 12 rounds of that and a few smaller limbs and also cut up some Stringy bark on the way out (was a big stump sitting there with 3 good rounds on it so it went in the ute too.

Now all I have to do is find a way to split the bloody stuff (it's as hard as hell to split) and I might have to get my mates Hydrolic Splitter onto it I think (already had a bit of a crack at it and it was hard going):eek::mad: It's probably been down about 50yrs or so, all I know is it's stuffing heavy and hard like steel.:rolleyes:

Kre2ssfl.jpg

P3u4WJjl.jpg

'Jonsered' at Costco . . . how far the mighty have fallen . . . :(

View attachment 730870

Next thing you know, we will see 'Craftsman' tools at Ace Hardware and Lowe's.

Philbert

Maybe that was tongue in cheek but craftsman is already in Ace Hardware. Jonsered seems to be taking the place of Poulan in the big box stores. I work at Menards and Jred now has a big presence.

Thinking about taking a scrounge out of a buddies yard. 26- 18+/-dbh red and white oaks. Easy to drop the trees, one limb heavy red oak with a bad lean in a bad direction, but i just need to pull it a little to miss a driveway column. He wants the stubs ground which I dont do anymore, and he wants the brush hualed off, which i dont like to do any more. I want the wood, there would be enough to do me 4 or 5 years. I have gotten a price on getting the stumps ground and a price for getting the wood hualed in log lenghts to my house, so that leaves the brush. I plan on cutting the tops down for firewood as much as possible, but 26trees worth of brush is still a lot. No way I am going to cut the trees and take the brush for free, so I am trying to decide what would be a fair price to charge. Right now I am looking at $1200 for stump grinding and $300 to $450 to get the wood hualed. I figure it will cost me a couple hundred to hire a few boys to load the brush on my trailer, which has a dumpbed. I would have to hual the wood to my place and then burn, so no dump fees. 10 miles round trip. I also have to winch the logs to a pile so it can be loaded on the truck. I dont have a real time frame for getting the work done and I told him if he wanted it done in a hurry, he needed to call someone else. He seemed ok if it took me all summer. If i can get everything lined up, I figure a week. So with that info, what does everybody figure would be a fair price to charge for doing this job.

Burning on site is not a option, chips would have to be hualed off also. My best case senerion will be if the owner of the property across the street will let me pile the brush there.He has stipped the property and has mountains of brush already piled there. If he will let me dump the brush in his piles, then its just load and drive across the street to dump. This would save a ton of time. If i can ever get up with him. I would like to skid the logs over there for loading as well. It would beat setting in the middle of a narrow private road and trying to work. Heck if I could permission to use his property, I could just skid the tops across the road and then chop them up and use the fel to push the brush in a pile.

Heck if I could get permission to use his property, I could just skid the tops across the road and then chop them up and use the fel to push the brush in a pile.

Just like in the Shawshank Redemption maybe the misses could bake this fine fellow a pie and you stuff the box with some greenbacks for persuasion. I figured chips would not have to be hauled off. What homeowner does not want mulch for their yard?

From my dad's 6 trees I think I had 3 large roll offs full and this is after smashing the brush down with a CAT wheel loader

I have probably a hundred truckloads of chips piled on my property now. They dont sale as well as one might think. Heres the thing about chips, you have to handle every piece of brush putting it in the chipper. You need a tarped trailer to blow the chips into, and you still have to hual them off somewhere. Now you have added the cost of renting a chipper to the cost of the job and your still handleing brush. I know I can hual a lot more chips in my trailer than loose brush, but I would only be saving one or two trips to off load the brush. In this situation, we would be talking about a 20min round trip or about a hr. I dont know what rental fees are for renting a chipper, but My labor cost using one wouldnt offset the cost of the rental. All good suggestions, but they dont fit the logistics of this job.

Back