Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found these two hatchets at yard sales over the past couple years or so.
The Estwing is a great, heavy tool for my small kindling.
I haven't used the other and will probably just have it a wall hanger.
View attachment 726425
View attachment 726426
You should prolly just send that small one to me.......

By the way, nice Norlund [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You should prolly just send that small one to me.......

By the way, nice Norlund [emoji16]

Maybe I should sell the Norlund or maybe I'll just keep it.
I got it for $6 at a yard sale so not a bad deal.
I saw many similar on EBay for like $160.
The Estwing cost me $15 at the same sale.
Both have original sheaths too.

Maybe I should sell the Norlund or maybe I'll just keep it.
I got it for $6 at a yard sale so not a bad deal.
I saw many similar on EBay for like $160.
The Estwing cost me $15 at the same sale.
Both have original sheaths too.
If I were you , I'd clean that baby up an put it on my wall or sell it to me for double your money. [emoji16]

I hung a new handle in a maul. The kerf where the wooden wedge would go was so closed up that I can not drive the wooden wedge in. Should I just drive a steel wedge and call it good or take the handle back out and shave it down? Or?
Thanks All.

If it's down where it should be and just tight, I'd use the steel wedge. I also make Black Walnut wedges and they are much harder than the Poplar wedges that come on all the handles I get. All you need is a slit and the BL wedges usually drive in. If it splits I just make another one.

If it's down where it should be and just tight, I'd use the steel wedge. I also make Black Walnut wedges and they are much harder than the Poplar wedges that come on all the handles I get. All you need is a slit and the BL wedges usually drive in. If it splits I just make another one.

Thanks Joe. All done. Bought the two wedges and a maul head for $15... so the handle was more than all three pieces. All my tools are blue so these got sprayed too... (I know, poor form).
maul-and-wedges3.jpg

Thanks Joe. All done. Bought the two wedges and a maul head for $15... so the handle was more than all three pieces. All my tools are blue so these got sprayed too... (I know, poor form).
maul-and-wedges3.jpg
Yeah, Bkue almost workd for me. I I were going to paint them, I would use Dodge/Plymouth Turquoise.

maul-and-wedges3.jpg
I like the blue too. Almost looks factory.
I just do mine black every once in a while. Just cheap Tremclad, but does the trick.
I would maybe put a collar to protect the handle shaft some from damage, but up to you.
I'm an accurate swinger, somewhat, when I'm not tired...lol.

Yeah, Blue almost worked for me. If I were going to paint them, I would use Dodge/Plymouth Turquoise.

You guys were right. I was WRONG. The blue looked good for five minutes, then rubs off on every piece of wood it hits. I'll go back to just paining a little blue on the wooden handles of my tools. But the handle is staying put... so I guess you were right about that too!

Thanks friends!

Wrong Bob! You were wrong. Wrong Bob, wrong. All wrong! Incorrect, mistaken, in error, erroneous, inaccurate, not accurate, inexact, not exact, imprecise, invalid, untrue, false, fallacious, wide of the mark, off target even.

zzzz.jpg

Back