Gas Can Fuel Gysers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfrazier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
These EPA non-vented cans aren't just annoying, I think they're dangerous.

I depressurized mine, but it's a nice warm day and it re-pressurized the vapors in 5 or 10 minutes. So when I stuck it in a saw it literally blasted the half tank or so of gas already in the saw out - right into my eyes. I was glad to only be a few hundred feet from a spigot as I was completely blinded by it. What if I had been miles from water or on a fire?

These don't SUCK, they BLOW

The pressurized cans, seems to me, far more dangerous than the old cans. The plastic is so thin, it's like dealing with the Hindenburg.

gas-can.jpg

This can is made by Midwest Can Company.
I doubt the EPA gave them any choice in how to screw it up this badly.
Midwest-Can-Company.jpg

Have you seen the “fix” for these stupid cans? You drill a hole near the back of the handle and fish a tire valve stem with the gut removed into the hole. Then you use the screw on cap as your vent. Cheap, easy, and can be found all over.

They make spouts to replace the spring loaded ones too.

I have a “No Spill” branded can with a button to open the spout. I use it for mix gas and it has been great for close to ten years. It’s really nice for saws since you can just release the button when it’s full. No glugging.

Have you seen the “fix” for these stupid cans? You drill a hole near the back of the handle and fish a tire valve stem with the gut removed into the hole. Then you use the screw on cap as your vent. Cheap, easy, and can be found all over.

They make spouts to replace the spring loaded ones too.

I have a “No Spill” branded can with a button to open the spout. I use it for mix gas and it has been great for close to ten years. It’s really nice for saws since you can just release the button when it’s full. No glugging.

Yes to that. I first found them at my chain saw dealers. I now have a 1gal and a 2.5 gal for my fuel mix.

As to the 'new style' can, my local grange supply has replacement spouts for both them and the old cns (2 different caps in the samepackage) $10.00. Unfortunately they can be sold only in some of the states.

OSHA requires the metal sealed cans for tree services. I learned (via the same experience you had) to point the can away from me and pull the valve to release the pressure before filling whatever piece of equipment I'm using. It's part of the training lecture any new employee receives from me on saws. On my plastic ones at home I have the habit of loosening the spout slightly so they don't build up pressure, then tightening when I pour.

Mistake 1: You're supposed to be wearing eye protection.
Mistake 2: You're supposed to vent the tank immediately before filling, always.

I don't disagree that these style of cans suck...but if you use the correctly they're not any more dangerous than regular cans.

OSHA requires the metal sealed cans for tree services. I learned (via the same experience you had) to point the can away from me and pull the valve to release the pressure before filling whatever piece of equipment I'm using. It's part of the training lecture any new employee receives from me on saws. On my plastic ones at home I have the habit of loosening the spout slightly so they don't build up pressure, then tightening when I pour.

I didn’t know this. You sure tree services can’t have plastic containers?

The no-spill cans are great, but I usually just push the button to release the air. I didn't think about installing the vent plug on one of them, but it does bug me when I use my fuel out in the sun and then store it in a dark and cool garage - the can shrinks and implodes on itself. I suspect this will weaken the integrity of the can and it will wear out quicker.

(Yes, I know I'm not supposed to store fuel in a garage - I only do that with my mixed which is in the no-spill cans. The rest stays outside on a shelf).

I use my fuel out in the sun and then store it in a dark and cool garage - the can shrinks and implodes on itself. I suspect this will weaken the integrity of the can and it will wear out quicker.

Yep! Like the same can from yesterday shown this morning below: (What a piece of crap!)
crushed-can.jpg

gas_can_spout_fix.html
That is a Rube Goldberg fix there. He has way more in material to make that than the $17 at TSC to buy a old style replacement.

I have an old metal can with a rubber hose that cracked this year. I need to order a new one and saw it was illegal to buy a spout in about 10 states. Glad I don't live in one of them. I wonder if it is legal to buy an old gas can at a yard sale in those states.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That Rube gold berg fix will last a whole lot longer than that expencive TSC spout.

It is all in what you want to spend and how long you want it to last.

:D Al

I didn’t know this. You sure tree services can’t have plastic containers?
Any commercial use in Michigan it must be metal. Big fine (I heard $2,500) if you get inspected by MiOSHA and have one on the job site. Have also heard it's a DOT violation for plastic cans on a commercial vehicle, although I've been through a DOT inspection and didn't have a problem. Probably found enough other violations that his pen ran out of ink. :angry:

Have also heard it's a DOT violation for plastic cans on a commercial vehicle, although I've been through a DOT inspection and didn't have a problem. Probably found enough other violations that his pen ran out of ink. :angry:
I have been thru tons of DOT inspections and always got the green light. Had a few fix it when you get done with your route notes on chafed brake lines and missing paper work, but because I was nice and cooperative they never started looking for small things like that. Having a clean truck with a clean, respectful driver will get a lot better attitude from the DOT than the trash they normally have to deal with.

That Rube gold berg fix will last a whole lot longer than that expencive TSC spout.

It is all in what you want to spend and how long you want it to last.

:D Al

https://www.calpaclab.com/pvc-polyvinyl-chloride-chemical-compatibility-chart/

According to this chart PVC is not recommend for either gasoline or ethanol. I have never used it for anything other than a makeshift funnel but I wouldn't bet on it lasting long.

I do however agree that TSC is overpriced on this and many other things. The one in my area is out of stock on most things (bad auto replenish system) so I don't shop the much.

I need to order a rubber fill tube for my metal fuel can that finally cracked this year after 25 years. I really like that can or I would just use one of my yard sale ones.

Latest posts

Back