Wife wants a chainsaw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdeere

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
...for her birthday. What would you do? She used to have a little Homelite top handle with a 12” bar. She cut about 300 little cedars when we first bought this place. But that was 27 years ago. She is a breast cancer survivor and has osteoporosis and neuropathy.
I was thinking a Stihl MS 150 or 193. I would have to break it in for her, of course.

Like when the wife wants her own pistol....
Take her to the store and leave her alone. Let her work with the sales guy to find what she is comfortable with and what fits her. What she chooses may not be your preference, but you're not the person running it.

While there, if she doesn't already have some, get her some PPE that fits her properly.

Then, just pay the bill.

Like when the wife wants her own pistol....
Take her to the store and leave her alone. Let her work with the sales guy to find what she is comfortable with and what fits her. What she chooses may not be your preference, but you're not the person running it.

While there, if she doesn't already have some, get her some PPE that fits her properly.

Then, just pay the bill.
My man!

I demonstrated to my wife how simple it was to fire up a MS210C-E and she wanted it for her own.
True, the MS210 isn't really a serious firewood cutting saw, but a properly maintained Stihl Easy Start saw might be just what she would enjoy using.

The easier it is for her to start the better.I might even look at some of the new battery powered saws if she just wants to trim around the yard. MY wife wanted her own weedeater. Took her to the sawshop and she picked out the biggest one they had. I told the saleman to rig it up for her with the harnesses and let her run it a little bit. She did and decided it was to heavy. I ended up with one a little smaller, but once she used it a time or two, she decided it was to heavy and hard to start. durn thing would crank on the first pull, she just couldnt pull the cord fast enough to get it to run. After several weedwackers with long extention cords, she finally got a battery powered kobalt. She does all the triming around the house now and I use the gas job around the fences and the edge of the woods.

...for her birthday. What would you do? She used to have a little Homelite top handle with a 12” bar. She cut about 300 little cedars when we first bought this place. But that was 27 years ago. She is a breast cancer survivor and has osteoporosis and neuropathy.
I was thinking a Stihl MS 150 or 193. I would have to break it in for her, of course.

Not the MS193. It is the hardest one to pull to start I have ever encountered. Story I got from the dealer is that it was designed for the 'easy start system" but the users were yanking on them like normal which ruinded the starting system. Me and two buddies all got one, we all cuss them. Love them IF you can get the started first. Easy start system saw would be ideal for your wife but she would have to learn the correct way to pull them "slow and all the way out" which winds a spring. All the way out trips the release and the spring does the cranking. I tried one, I would go back to the 193 myself (replaced it with a top handle husky) if a dealer would put that start system on it.

I know you said she had a top handle before but a nice light rear handle might be a better fit. It would give you a lot more choices and be easier to start.

I agree with others that you should let her at least handle a few different saws so she can decide what feels good.

I used to do all the cooking but my wife does now. She asked me how that happened and being the honest person I am I told her that basically I got tired of her complaining about how I cooked. How much butter is in that, how much oil did you use, how much cheese did you put in that... I don’t know, enough? I’m not much for measurement.

Jokes on me since I’m eating vegetarian quinoa stuffed peppers for dinner. Oh well, I don’t complain (to her) because I don’t really want to go back to cooking.

There is a video on YouTube of a little girl starting a Dolmar. I think it is a 420. If she wants recommendations start there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If my wife said she wanted a saw of her own I would take her to the local Echo dealer.
Echo has a very nice line up of top and rear handle light weight saws and some bigger sizes she might like.
Bet mine would like a nice CS 400.

Then I would let her go to a Husky dealer, well maybe not the local one isn't much shucks.

Next would take her to a sthil dealer, Let her know from the get go if she chosses a Sthil it is shes to work.

:D Al

I used to do all the cooking but my wife does now. She asked me how that happened and being the honest person I am I told her that basically I got tired of her complaining about how I cooked. How much butter is in that, how much oil did you use, how much cheese did you put in that... I don’t know, enough? I’m not much for measurement.

Jokes on me since I’m eating vegetarian quinoa stuffed peppers for dinner. Oh well, I don’t complain (to her) because I don’t really want to go back to cooking.

Not to toot my own horn, but I'm an excellent cook, not just on the grill but in the kitchen as well. I actually like to cook, and love flavorful foods. With a busy lifestyle, the joy of cooking often takes a backset to routine and limited time, but I'm pretty efficient at it. I took the lead on cooking because I can cook a square meal very quickly with fresh ingredients, while making little mess and can clean as I go. My wife, if she cooks beef stroganoff for two, the kitchen will be a wreck by the time dinner is ready, there will be too much noodles, not enough meat and nothing is ready at the same time.

I've tried teaching her, but to no avail....

You have to enjoy cooking to cook well.

Now, on the other hand, she will bust her tail out in the bush with me, that includes running saws, hauling heavy a$$ stuff, running controlled burns and the burn barrels, and stacking wood, so I need not complain all that much :)

Back