Repair Certification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlcranking

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey All. I have used this site many times for help in fixing issues with my chainsaw. I was hoping to get some information from some of the mechanics out here. I am wanting to get certified to repair small engines and am wondering what certification is required? I have read a lot online, but I want to make sure I am registering for the right certification before dropping the $1000 that most of them charge. I know certification from specific manufacturers is also required, but I am looking for a general certification.

Any help is appreciated.

Stihl, Briggs Kohler all require sponsorship by a authorized dealer. EETC is a organization designed to separate you from your money, with a charge initially for testing then a membership fee .
The above company's have advantages to become certified. But those advantages go to the dealership.
Basically, just in case you haven't read between my extremely cynical line, don't bother. No one give a rats azz.
I am a Stihl Gold Level, Kohler Expert, Briggs Master Service Tech and have 5 cert from EETC. Pretty impressive eh?
We get shop rate on warranty repairs, but the flat rates for all are a joke.
Just like in the auto industry.
That's why whenever I have a vehicle repaired by an expert at a dealership, I have to finish it.

If you were looking to get into working for an OPE fixing outfit perhaps certificates would be helpful, but otherwise, not really seeing a benefit.

Customers aren't going to generally care if you are a super dooper master gold platinum triple dipped fudge diamond certified or just a dude that is good at fixing stuff.

Anyone know why OPE is censored? It's not a swear I hope?! Stands for Outdoor Power Equipment and is a normal term.

Because this site does not allow posting references to a rival site started by some members who got banned here.... O.. P.. E. forum.

Well the idea was to open a shop/dealer. So basically I need to get certified through the specific brand I intend to carry and go from there. Dont just one to get one.

Or maybe I'm still not catching the cynical side of it. :)
I guess most people don't look at the certificates on the wall. Whatever brand you decide to carry will probably require you to go thru some sort of training in order to sell their products. Good luck. And yes we're a bunch of cynics.:laugh:

Well the idea was to open a shop/dealer. So basically I need to get certified through the specific brand I intend to carry and go from there. Dont just one to get one.

Or maybe I'm still not catching the cynical side of it. :)

No not at all. They open you up as long as you sign a personal guarantee and have money for the product. You sometimes have a year to meet technical requirements, but if you're successful, the territorial manager can fudge things. The manufactures want to convey a more professional imagine for the industry. Yet, they do more to turn it into a horse and pony shoe than anyone.
I've seen it and a witness to it now with some other dealers in my area.
Learn how to repair things by trail and error. STAND BEHIND YOUR WORK.
You cant fake a quality repair. Especially on saws. Operational conditions a horrible at best.

Industry turnover at distributor and factory levels is high. When the experience level goes up.
so does pay. If the pay get too high, they get canned. Business 101.
You may be getting instructed by some tool who was selling shoes last week.

Been a mechanic for 40+ years and will retire at the end of this year at 57.

30 years ago I was fully certified ASE in both Auto and Diesel, because I was told it mattered to the customer. I discovered the customer had no idea what ASE was all about, they just wanted whatever they had broken fixed. I will layout what has worked for me.

1) Common Sense : You must have this, if you don't, work for someone as a mechanic! Working for someone is not a bad thing, you still can be very successful in life.
2) Education: Get Tech School education in whatever mechanic field interests you. This is a must have!
3) Personality: Have one! Be able to talk to the rich or poor. male or female and don't berate either class of people you will need/want them all.
4) Advertise: Don't waste your money on it. If you have to advertise, you know you need to improve on 1, 2 and 3.

A few other things come to mind, but your customer will remind you of the others.

Yeah, the area reps will lie and cheat a bunch to help your shop get Gold Certified!!

When I went many years ago, there were about 1/3 of the class that were totally incompetent.
They were owners who wanted the benefits of the Elite title. They struggled in every facet of the course.
They didn't know how to use tools and lacked basic mechanical skills.
They past the course. In fact, the instructor mentioned during the intro that no one ever failed.
That might have changed.
It was also very hard to concentrate on the outdoor portion of the course. There's a military
base next store. Watched some very scary hardware fly overhead.
Why anyone would even think of screwing with us is amazing.

Yeah, the Stihl reps spend a whole lot of their time borrowing Stihl tools to put in a dealership and "create" the ultimate Stihl shop, take pictures of it for their Stihl certification, then dismantle it and return all of the tools after they get their certification.

Been a mechanic for 40+ years and will retire at the end of this year at 57.

30 years ago I was fully certified ASE in both Auto and Diesel, because I was told it mattered to the customer. I discovered the customer had no idea what ASE was all about, they just wanted whatever they had broken fixed. I will layout what has worked for me.

1) Common Sense : You must have this, if you don't, work for someone as a mechanic! Working for someone is not a bad thing, you still can be very successful in life.
2) Education: Get Tech School education in whatever mechanic field interests you. This is a must have!
3) Personality: Have one! Be able to talk to the rich or poor. male or female and don't berate either class of people you will need/want them all.
4) Advertise: Don't waste your money on it. If you have to advertise, you know you need to improve on 1, 2 and 3.

A few other things come to mind, but your customer will remind you of the others.

Hey diezelsmoke! My son worked for a small privately owned shop that fits your description above to a tee. He worked there for 7 years before the shop owner decided to retire. It was just him and my son working the shop at that time. He offered the business to my son and told him pretty much exactly 1,2,3, and 4 above just as you described. My son now leases his former bosses building and changed the business name to his own. He was scared witless about the possibility their customer base would leave when his boss stopped running the company. That was almost 1 year ago and my son has had 2-weeks minimum worth of work on the books ever since. He doesn't advertise. He is honest, fair, and friendly to his customers! Phone rings off the hook all day with new work....which is his biggest problem. He now has a Bluetooth headset just so he can keep working on cars while he answers calls! I occasionally go to his shop just to move scrap brake rotors, calipers, ball joints, shocks, etc. to an alternate part of the shop or to the scrap yard.

Getting in this business should be a last resort. If you're young, find another path.

Back