Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burned some pittosporum that I pruned 6 months ago in the firepit last night. Very ashy in the heater but with the resinous-ness it burned nice and brightly in the firepit.

View attachment 731061

I'm going fishing for a few days, happy scrounging :havingarest:.

Have fun fishing mate, I'm probably going spotlighting for foxes etc on Saturday, hopefully we can thin a few out before lambing starts happening.

20190418_181754.jpg I talked to the FIL and we agreed that if he was gonna pull oak from around the old chicken house this would be it. 20190418_184643.jpg I pulled all the cherry out and moved it closer to the house. Didn't realize this stuff was back there I thought it was all oak and locust. I'm going to take some of the cherry and apple to my cousin today for his smoker.

Split the last of what I had left maybe 6 pcs of punky oak. Mostly wanted to run the splitter a bit. Still burning every day but might hit 60s today so the ends in sight. Good frost last night.

Too wet in the yard to start filling the wood shed which is ok since we haven't stopped burning.

Pile looks about the same.

Should be close to enough for next year with what's left in the shed. Its so nice I might start cleaning up the truck get it ready for summer.

I've not burnt for the last 2 days, spring is here and it's Easter holidays... Fabulous. There may be a few more evening burns yet ...or maybe not. I'll sweep the 2 flues next week, and **** the last of the dry wood from the back of the shed to the other pile..about a quarter of a cord. I've burnt just a fraction over 2 cord ...mild winter. mum burnt just under 1 cord. I'm looking forward to getting lots of wood in, and getting the saws going to restock

Out in great weather, 65 supposedly today, doors, windows open. Mowed everything including around the wood piles.

Laid into restacking one rick of oak that fell over and trying to trim up two others. Usual method of beating them back vertical with a maul doesn't work. Almost every piece has tight bark too rought to allow a chunk to slip back in position. Made some slight progress but I suspect I'll be restacking more than once before that stuff is cured.

I've not burnt for the last 2 days, spring is here and it's Easter holidays... Fabulous. There may be a few more evening burns yet ...or maybe not. I'll sweep the 2 flues next week, and **** the last of the dry wood from the back of the shed to the other pile..about a quarter of a cord. I've burnt just a fraction over 2 cord ...mild winter. mum burnt just under 1 cord. I'm looking forward to getting lots of wood in, and getting the saws going to restock
Must feel weird having Easter in spring and even weirder having Christmas in anything other than 100degF summer heat.:crazy:

Nice! I don't know about the 2.7 but my 3.5 got much better fuel economy after about 25000 miles.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

That seems like a real long break in period! Would be about 2 years for me!

She got over 20 on the way home, and I had the cruse set at 75 MHP. The hills really seem to knock it down fast!

I burn about the same in the wood stove, 2 cords a season. Just use the stove for shoulder seasons and when it's extreme cold.
We heat the main upstairs by pellet stove so that usually amounts to about 120-150 bags a season.
It's nice to have both heaters.
I'm working on 2nd and 3rd year wood now.
Got some White Oak and Sugar Maple from a fellow up the road.
Price was right for log rounds at $200/cord.
He delivered and I just split and stack.

That seems like a real long break in period! Would be about 2 years for me!

She got over 20 on the way home, and I had the cruse set at 75 MHP. The hills really seem to knock it down fast!
I’ve got to call the dealer. I bought an XLT on Jan 1st. Always use my cruise on the hiway, never go over 75. I broke 19 once. My cousin got one back in Oct, he’s been averaging 18. Took mine to the farm in WV 3 times with my 1500 pound trailer on it, got 17.9 to 18.3. Was thrilled, thought that was great. Went up two more times this past week with the trailer, dropped to 12.9 to 13.1. No difference in load, empty trailer. Got fuel at the same place. Going up Monday with the trailer, I’ll see what it does. Then I’ll have to go up to meet the folks delivering my 12x40 building, no trailer. Hope it jumps back to 18 plus. I’ve got 4900 miles on it. First oil change next week.

I’ve got to call the dealer. I bought an XLT on Jan 1st. Always use my cruise on the hiway, never go over 75. I broke 19 once. My cousin got one back in Oct, he’s been averaging 18. Took mine to the farm in WV 3 times with my 1500 pound trailer on it, got 17.9 to 18.3. Was thrilled, thought that was great. Went up two more times this past week with the trailer, dropped to 12.9 to 13.1. No difference in load, empty trailer. Got fuel at the same place. Going up Monday with the trailer, I’ll see what it does. Then I’ll have to go up to meet the folks delivering my 12x40 building, no trailer. Hope it jumps back to 18 plus. I’ve got 4900 miles on it. First oil change next week.
Joe have you reset the mpg indicator? I do mine at fillups usually. I just did mine and went from 19 to 23 in a 40 mile trip. Idling for any length of time will mess up the mpg reading. Towing my 2700 lb dump empty is right around 18.

Latest posts

Back