I think I have a bad coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good dude ,he helped me dozens and dozens of times.
dave was sharing stories of some reviews hes received on ebay. somebody was super offended that dave (like many ebay sellers) raised the price on the last item in stock to keep a person from buying. that person said in a message something to the effect that dave must have a shrunk-dik for a head with prices like that. lol.

dave was sharing stories of some reviews hes received on ebay. somebody was super offended that dave (like many ebay sellers) raised the price on the last item in stock to keep a person from buying. that person said in a message something to the effect that dave must have a shrunk-dik for a head with prices like that. lol.
I suppose the dope couldn't figure it out!

My dumb 2 cents she runs backwards did you check the flywheel to see if it’s loose and the key is ok? I’ve seen keys shear. It’s the only thing I can think of.

Murphy’s law and karma has bitten all day Thursday, the more I try the more I got behind. I’m ready to fix my tractors for a while. Pop a cold one and chill.

I had the bidding go crazy on eBay on a saw then the seller canceled everyone’s bid and started over selling it? I have no clue what bidders are thinking nor what sellers are doing.

A Denso W22 was the first thing I did...
Put in a new NGK 6703 (BPMR7A Solid) in the saw just to eliminate that.

Other issues we've seen:
Clutch side crank seal
A few faulty coils
Flooding carbs

Also check your fuel tank vent.

I think you have a couple things going on at the same time.

Put in a new NGK 6703 (BPMR7A Solid) in the saw just to eliminate that.

Other issues we've seen:
Clutch side crank seal
A few faulty coils
Flooding carbs

Also check your fuel tank vent.

I think you have a couple things going on at the same time.
The denso plug is the NGK equivalent. It's what I use here. I didn't get to the barn last night but I'm working through it. I'll report back what I find.
My dumb 2 cents she runs backwards did you check the flywheel to see if it’s loose and the key is ok? I’ve seen keys shear. It’s the only thing I can think of.

Murphy’s law and karma has bitten all day Thursday, the more I try the more I got behind. I’m ready to fix my tractors for a while. Pop a cold one and chill.
I've been there too. Flywheel is on key.

No back farting. Fuel on the air filter?

Anyway even ignoring the chain jumping backwards, there is not a lot of things that would cause it to fall on it's face and instantly back into a perfect Idle. It's a short list compared to a saw not coming up to rev.
I have had Impulse issues that have ran fine until under load but it's random and you have to feather the trigger to get it to catch again or half the time it stalls anyway.
With the plugged muffler thought.. Theory would say it isn't going to be responsive and rev up to 13,500, never mind kick out the second it hits the wood?

A wouldn't think It's fuel either.
Fuel delivery? I have heard of it happening in long cuts with big saws or personally in a long cut with a vent issue but that is not instant. Generally fuel issues you would see the earliest signs like higher idle, fluttering down and racing then to screaming and coughing out.
I have had frozen saws putter along at a very low rev too. That is all I have ever seen. Think it was one of my 375 would run out of fuel without any warning a few times. That was really strange? Dead like a big glob of water or knocking the switch off.
Very uncharacteristic of the slut.
-------------

This is a strange one???
Did you happened to fire that saw up before you pulled the coil and carb? It is unlikely it would have the same problem in this case. I've seen more coils go in the last 10 yrs after putting them away. At least you know the plugs good, carbs good... everything is good.
I am assuming you used the wire that was on each coil no doubt.

So Kevin said the coils from the two different models are not compatible. IDK what behaviors you would get from that if they are doing the same thing then sounds like they are both the wrong coils
for that flywheel? Basically one of the saws has the wrong flywheel. Sounds the most likely to me. Sound like your spark is fading/breaking under load or timing is bouncing under load. Make sure the coil and everything cleaned up good? Again usually revs just won't come up.

It's all fine and good if you have carb kits but why are we rebuilding what very well maybe a good carb?
Like Lone Wolf is saying you put your parts on the working saw.
Like they taught us in grade 3 to reverse our math and check ourselves.

Interesting one.

Swapped mufflers today, put in a freshly re-built carb. No love. New fuel filter. It was starting to run a little bit longer in the wood but not long before it died out. My last thought was either tank vent or collapsed fuel line. I swapped in a tank assembly I had. Problem solved. I'm thinking tank vent but who knows.

Swapped mufflers today, put in a freshly re-built carb. No love. New fuel filter. It was starting to run a little bit longer in the wood but not long before it died out. My last thought was either tank vent or collapsed fuel line. I swapped in a tank assembly I had. Problem solved. I'm thinking tank vent but who knows.
At least you only did one repair per try so that you didn’t “fix” it with 8 repairs at the same time and have no idea what the problem was.

A Vac tester knows, test the the old tank vent on vac it should not build pressure when tested at the fuel line.

I'm happy to say that my 009L, that I had initially thought had a bad coil, and then thought I had cured with a new plug, started acting up today.

I had cut maybe a quarter cord or so, and a lot of smaller limbs, in the past couple of days while cleaning up some pruning of large limbs that I had done. And I was beginning to second guess my purchases of three new saws last year.
Then took the little Stihl with no backup to another property to cut up a couple of stumps and some fallen limbs when it stumbled again.
I am very happy with my three new and trouble free saws.

I fought the 046 that I had because of a tank vent as well. Saw would start and run great then lean out on me. I rebuilt the carb, changed the hoses etc, etc. Right before I sold the saw I replaced the tank vent and she ran great after that.

One of the greatest mystery saws that came to me for repair was a Husky 359 many years back when they were first released. This particular saw had multiple problems, must have been a very early Monday morning built saw. One major problem was it did not have a hole from the tank out to the vent discs, had to heat a wire and make a passage from where the discs are located to the inside of the tank. After finding a defective crank seal flywheel side, a leaking carb manifold at the cylinder, a defective carb that was missing the accelerator piston and replacing the muffler that had been lost at another repair shop I got it running for the owner. That saw is still going strong, its owned by a local guy I see often, that Mity Vac is a time saver on chainsaw repairs.

I knew that's what you meant. I should've worded my reply differently
You brought the proper terminology to attention. I am always explaining to someone it is what I meant not what I SAID..... Most times I figure nobody is paying attention to me any way. Future readers won't be inadvertently mislead when the are having a problem.

Latest posts

Back