splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

all go no show

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
20190419_213008-1.jpg 20190419_212822-1.jpg 20190413_132741.jpg I've done a lot of reading and looking at pictures and videos and I think I have a fairly good idea on putting this thing together. I got enough parts to get started. 22gpm pump, 13hp Lifan engine w/electric start, 5x24x2.5 cylinder w/.75" ports, auto cycle valve, 2 spool valve for log lift and wedge adjust, beam is 8x10 with 5/8 top and bottom and 3/8 web, tank was pulled off a dewatering pump and will hold 20 gal, the trailer I pulled out of the weeds at my buddy's farm. Looking back I would have been better off building my own frame and running gear instead of fixing and adapting this one. Top of the beam is 33". I Started on a pusher. The vertical "push" end is 9" tall from the top of the beam. The horizontal "slide" is a little over 10" long. Where should I have the cylinder mount to the back of the pusher? Dead center at 4.5" or should it be a little lower than center? Thanks in advance for any advice and comments.

1/2 hp per 1gpm of pump output seems to be pretty good numbers to go by. How far below center should I go for mounting the pusher?

The lower to the beam the cylinder the less torque the push plate will apply to the beam. However if a large log pushes only on the top of the plate it will still torque the beam. That is why we overbuild splitters so the beam can handle way more force than the cylinder can put out. As long as you do this it really doesn't matter if you put the mount high or low, as long as the cylinder is perfectly parallel with the beam.

It's been slow, but getting a little done. Been making some parts, 20190507_112633.jpg 20190507_180302.jpg 20190507_175954.jpg Notched the beam for the rear mount, started welding up the pusher, got the front done so I can mount tank, engine, etc,

Looks good. Just for your information I have a 22 gpm pump and an 11 hp predator motor and I have never had one issue with anything I've ever split, even with the 4 way or 6 way on the splitter. I do have a knife blade though.

Dave-dj1 What is your cylinder 's length of stroke? What kind of cycle times are you seeing? According to my numbers I should be around 10 seconds.

Dave-dj1 What is your cylinder 's length of stroke? What kind of cycle times are you seeing? According to my numbers I should be around 10 seconds.
I have a 4" cylinder with a 30" stroke, I haven't timed it in a long time but it's pretty quick. There is a link to my build and a couple of vids under my sig line.

Back