Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe have you reset the mpg indicator? I do mine at fillups usually. I just did mine and went from 19 to 23 in a 40 mile trip. Idling for any length of time will mess up the mpg reading. Towing my 2700 lb dump empty is right around 18.
Yes, I always reset on fill ups. Until last week, when ever I filled up the "miles to go" would be around 650-700, now it's just over 400. I'm going to drop the trailer and run up to town, get some weed trimmer string, then jump on the hiway and run about 30 miles up the road and see what it does. I didn't post earlier, but, it's a 2.7 with 10 speed 4X4.

I got 14.9l/100km or almost 16mpgUS combined city/highway/idling in the winter. That's the average over the last 7000km. The way I look at it is that's how I drive so I like to look at the whole picture. The new smaller diesels are interesting but with the small number of miles I drive every year, it would take forever to pay for it. I'll just hang on till the electric ones come out then I'll charge it up with a homebuilt wood fired generator!!!
Think of the possibilities, scrounging with Tesla 600 volt electric chainsaws. Won't have to ask permission because they'll never hear us!!!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

A diesel cost way more, you have to add that other stuff to them now (an addl cost and a PITA), and my gas engine will start in the winter, even when I'm in the woods 2 mi off the grid!

I think all electric at this point in time is a crock! W/O subsidies, you would not see them at all. And, if the source of your electric is coal, you are polluting more than a gas engine.

Agreed. Ontario doesn't have coal anymore so that's a step in the right direction. I think electric vehicles and off grid homes will be the norm in the future. The technology is there, it just needs to get cheaper. And it will. Remember when the first flat screen TVs came out? They were thousands, now you can get a tv for $500 that we could only dream about 20 years ago. Exciting times to live in. And somebody has to be working on a cold fusion chainsaw with computer guided directional felling assist! Lol.

A diesel cost way more, you have to add that other stuff to them now (an addl cost and a PITA), and my gas engine will start in the winter, even when I'm in the woods 2 mi off the grid!

I think all electric at this point in time is a crock! W/O subsidies, you would not see them at all. And, if the source of your electric is coal, you are polluting more than a gas engine.
I tell my wife that every time we fill up the gas F250. 30 gallons and we saved $15 vs the old diesel. Oil changes are a 1/3 the price.

Yes, I always reset on fill ups. Until last week, when ever I filled up the "miles to go" would be around 650-700, now it's just over 400. I'm going to drop the trailer and run up to town, get some weed trimmer string, then jump on the hiway and run about 30 miles up the road and see what it does. I didn't post earlier, but, it's a 2.7 with 10 speed 4X4.

Joe, your problems could very well be related to the fuel injectors. The owners manual says it will run on regular, but will run better on high test (more power), especially when towing or in hot weather. I plan to run mine on high test full time.

I would fill it with high test, and add some injector cleaner and see what happens. These direct injection engines often have very sensitive injectors.

I've done premium vs regular fuel. It takes a couple tanks of premium before I start to see a difference. It's not enough of a difference to pay for itself but economy does pick up a little. As for power, I can't tell by seat of the pants. Maybe a drag time or towing test would show it. There is a local gas station that runs out of 87 on a regular basis and subsequently sells 91 at the same price. I find if I hit that place Wednesday or Thursday night I can score premium without paying a premium! Almost as good a free wood.
2 racks of the elm scrounge stacked this morning for next winter.
d7b2f3784f15fd67837503d64f230364.jpg

I was talking to my neighbor about it and learned there was a lawsuit that forced them to make any engine able to run on regular octane. However, a computer controlled turbo engine should really benefit from running on premium for the following reasons:

1) Better detergent in premium will keep your injectors cleaner (a real problem with any direct injection engine).

2) More timing advance on any engine always helps.

3) More boost will allow for higher compression/better fuel efficiency.

4) Computer control of the VCT will also help.

As a result, you will be more likely to achieve the advertised horsepower and fuel efficiency.

In short, any computer controlled engine should benefit from high test, but especially a boosted computer controlled engine.

Score!! I've been worrying about what I would do after I finish at Von's this year. Decided to follow up on a long shot I heard about. "Mark" has a 1/2 mile of sparsely groved willow along a county gravel road with very little traffic. Problems with power lines and a Creek, almost all will have to be pulled over the creek but he says he will be available "any time". We'll see how that goes. I might step up the Von project a bit and get to Mark's this fall.

2 1/2 gal mix gone through the saws already this year.

1. yes, the main reason to do it.
2 - yes..all engines have a knock sensor ad retard if sensed. then slowly try to advance...as jeff says its at least a couple of tanks to fully advance.
3 and 4...you need a remap to take advantage

Since the owner's manual says "high test for max power" (not a direct quote), that stuff is likely already in there, and it was just capable of "dumbing down" to run on regular.

Now see, I thought the "Big One" was 66, cause now I can collect SS even though I still work, and the SS (even with 22% W/H) covers both the Mtg and the new Truck payment!

However, since I am self employed, and only collected SS for a few months … I actually paid more SS tax than the benefits I collected … Them Bast***s!!!!

I'm going in circles with my financial guy. He insists I should wait to draw SS. I just turned 63. Since my wife is 6 years younger than me, I think he's trying to make sure there is something left for her. My Teamster pension covers all of our bills, but that's it. If I just took my whole pension it was $96,000 a year, but I took the 50% survivors benefit for my wife and kept their excellent health care package, my actual take home is about $70K. That's not a lot of money in MD, but I can live on it. Last year my old Dodge started dying on me and I wound up putting almost $1000 a month in it for 6 months straight. All my lawn money went back in the truck. With the new Ford I should be living the high life this year. Love the truck so far. I was averaging high 18's with the trailer until last week. So, I'll check the fuel and injector issue. It hasn't had it first oil change yet, that's next week.

Since the owner's manual says "high test for max power" (not a direct quote), that stuff is likely already in there, and it was just capable of "dumbing down" to run on regular.
My buddy thought the more power on highest was bs till one of the f250s had issues and he had to haul 10k trailer for a few days with his 2.7. He said by the end of the first day it was obvious there was more power available to get that trailer moving. Said it did as good as the 5.4 f250.

I dont know where they got those numbers but they are off. It looks like those numbers were pulled from the onboard computers and from what I have read the people that track their own numbers are getting higher mileage than what the truck says, especially in deleted vehicles (which is what I have now) I should start tracking some miles to see.

Back