Husqvarna 181se won’t run with top cover on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnT34

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got this really clean 181se and I am dealing with a running issue that had me stumped
She runs perfect with the top cover off
However as soon as I put the top cover on the saw bogs on acceleration and cuts out, take off the top cover and she runs fine again
Any thoughts? it seems like an air issue but I am not keen on hacking up the coverIMG_1197.jpgIMG_1198.jpgIMG_1199.jpgIMG_1200.jpgIMG_1201.jpgIMG_1202.jpgIMG_1203.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it tuned with cvr on originally? Or not tuned yet?

^^^^^^^^carb adjustment, nice saw I like these.

If the carb adjustment doesn’t work I would Add some seafoam to the fuel mix and let her idle for a while. Shut her off and let the seafoam do its thing. Wait a few days and fire her up.

^^^^^^^^carb adjustment, nice saw I like these.

If the carb adjustment doesn’t work I would Add some seafoam to the fuel mix and let her idle for a while. Shut her off and let the seafoam do its thing. Wait a few days and fire her up.

Yeah it’s a sweet saw alright bought off eBay for £236 as spares/repairs
Have been through her top to bottom including rebuilding the carb and blanking off the governor

Could be that you've moved it but the spark plug boot should be rotated anticlockwise so that it doesn't interfere with the cover septum/partition.
Is the spring connector inside the boot properly connected to the cable?
Also, left field (it's a long time since I've built a 181), is the NGK the right type? (RCJ7Y) If it's too tall....

Try spacing the cover up a little and leave the screws a little loose. It may not be getting air into the carb area. If it runs good then find out how the originals got air to the box. Looks like it may be a top cover issue. Mike

Hi all
When rebuilding this saw I put in a new bellows grommet over the throttle arm which was not in place when I got the saw
I removed this grommet basically leaving a large air hole and the saw now runs perfect
So for all those who said an airflow issue you were spot on
Once I added that grommet (bellows according to Husqvarna) I basically sealed up the whole compartment air tight and smothered the saw
I still think it could do with additional air flow but I don’t want to butcher the cover
Thanks to all
John

The values in Ireland are typically decent on a quality working saw.

About the cover, you'll notice the top has squares on it that are easily removed. Mine ran better once I removed all three.

Hi all
When rebuilding this saw I put in a new bellows grommet over the throttle arm which was not in place when I got the saw
I removed this grommet basically leaving a large air hole and the saw now runs perfect
So for all those who said an airflow issue you were spot on
Once I added that grommet (bellows according to Husqvarna) I basically sealed up the whole compartment air tight and smothered the saw
I still think it could do with additional air flow but I don’t want to butcher the cover
Thanks to all
John

Sounds sensible. I'm not sure how the air is supposed to get in if every entry point is sealed. Early 181s didn't have the grommet/bellows. 281s had a different trigger with a roller on the carb due to the addition of the front A/V spring. Again I don't remember a grommet, unless it was part of the Winter Kit and you open the hole in the top cover wall to let hot air in.

I remember one time a saw did that to me. I'd take the cover off she'd run great, put it on and she wouldn't run worth a damm. Spent alot of time on that one trying to figure out. It was a 242. Then someone mentioned the pre filter!! I didnt even know that such thing existed, I was thinking of the pre filter that goes over a Stihl HD1. Got him to shoot me a pic on an ipl and damm if there wasn't one under this tiny little screw. It was all clogged up. Cleaned it out and she ran great. Leave it to Husky...

Back