Large canopy tree selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtD

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
I’m looking to replace some large Siberian elm trees that have large canopies. I’m thinking of some perspective trees that have a large canopy and don’t have a lot of problems with failures, branches falling.
Thank you for any suggestions,
Art

Where are you?

Soil types?

There are hundreds of options...but relatively few that will work at any given site. It is best to have a local expert help...unfortunately a lot of folks who plant trees aren't very knowledgeable and they just stick a pretty tree in the ground with no idea that it's going to die in 10 years because it won't do well in that soil (and then they plant it too deep).

Very good chance that an oak will work, but white oak, pin oak, cherry bark oak, and live oak each grow on drastically different sites. (There are hundreds of oak species...I just picked 4 that have different site requirements.)

Live oaks can have a huge canopie spread. They don't loose limbs like many trees do. Because there evergreen, ice and snow can put to much weight on the long limbs in the winter, so location may be of some concern.

Hello Thanks for your input, the soil I am working with is in California near San Jose, warmer weather, and clay soil.
Thank you so much,
Art

I hope that is Ulmus parvifolia not Ulmus pumila for Chinese elm? That is the way I learned it, but some people call Siberian elm (U. pumila) Chinese...

London Plane, Platanus x acerfolia, are pretty solid trees wide canopy trees. I believe they grow in CA. Otherwise it'd be hard for me to turn down planting a Live Oak. Awesome trees.

Latest posts

Back