Ported saw,set the woods on fire today, well almost.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VW Splitter

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So, I had been cutting with the 385 on the big end of the log with a 30" bar. Headed tword the small end I changed over to the ported 372 with a 24". Made a couple of cuts and decided to change out the chain. The saw dust chips were not comming out as big as they should be. So I went to the truck tailgate and changed out the chain. When I got back to the log there was a big spot on the log that was smoldering with a nice red glow and lots of smoke. Had a good stiff breeze blowing to encourage it along. I started kicking the red glow off the log which got it down into the leaves and that got the leaves going. Had to do the fire dance after that, stomping around for about 5 min. to put it out.:blob2:finally got it out and went back to cutting. My saw builder said I would need to watch out for that. He was absolutly right! It was a good day, did not have to call the fire department. Saw cut great with the sharp chain. Life is good.:smile2:

Not to lecture at such a time, but that's the reason for spark-arrester screens.

Even with a screen, after an extended full-power bucking run with my 455r, I've seen some very small sparks get scattered out the pipe, even with a screen in place. Bud watching nearby also watched for smoke.

Some carbon chunks will get deposited in the exhaust passage. They very well may go to the worst possible place. Murphy, and all that. :msp_unsure:

Good to hear you didn't make the local paper. That would have socked.

So, I had been cutting with the 385 on the big end of the log with a 30" bar. Headed tword the small end I changed over to the ported 372 with a 24". Made a couple of cuts and decided to change out the chain. The saw dust chips were not comming out as big as they should be. So I went to the truck tailgate and changed out the chain. When I got back to the log there was a big spot on the log that was smoldering with a nice red glow and lots of smoke. Had a good stiff breeze blowing to encourage it along. I started kicking the red glow off the log which got it down into the leaves and that got the leaves going. Had to do the fire dance after that, stomping around for about 5 min. to put it out.:blob2:finally got it out and went back to cutting. My saw builder said I would need to watch out for that. He was absolutly right! It was a good day, did not have to call the fire department. Saw cut great with the sharp chain. Life is good.:smile2:
Just as guns don't kill people.
Ported saws don't cause fires people do LOL.

Ported saws cut the wood and light the fire, yes, they are that good!!! My 385 got so hot ,the air filter cover melted a little by the left front latch area , was stuck on there pretty good, gotta watch that beast, always pulling a trick.

Dry enough around here to get in trouble w a fire

did you remove the spark screen on you muffler
if you did you could get in big truble if the saw causes a forst fire
i think big fine and jail time

A non sharp chain has caused enough friction to start a fire on a job a while ago. It wasn't the leaf litter that ignited it was the bark of the tree, and I'm sure it was more from stumping and the chain being blunt, and if it was throwing chips it wouldn't have happened

one summer I was cutting at the village green waste dump on a sunday .lots of nice big maple . a spark set the noodles on fire and things started getting out of hand . I called a buddy in the fire dept on his cell phone and ask him to quietly come over with a truck . he didn't . the whole dept showed . turns out they were at "church" and thought it would be funny to put on a show . I had to buy a lot of beers after they got done .

Back