Rocket stove in my shop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Yes, I know there are other threads about rocket stoves, but I'll start a new one anyway.

I just had the idea of replacing my old worn out antique coal/wood stove with a rocket stove. That could save me more space. Right now I have the stove somewhat in the middle of my shop (a 2-car garage). I'd appreciate ideas on layout, material, piping, and how to keep it safe. I don't really want to do a whole lot with clay/mud, but I might have to do a bit of that. I dunno. Just starting the thought process here.

I don't know if it will save you any space. I have considered a RMH for my home and those can get huge. If you are just doing a J-tube with a barrel it still takes a good sized footprint.
I have tried to get some discussion started on these here before with little interest. There is some good info on Matt's board at Permsteading.com but the last post was in 2017. Donkey's board is more up to date, but is more advanced at donkey32.proboards.com
I know that the cost can be free if you are good at scrounging material. Peterberg is on both of those above boards and has published a good J-tube design and basically invented the batch box design. I have built small models of both using a plywood mold and clay from my yard. Fire brick is the most common build, fireclay and vermiclite is a good material also. Perilite can be used with fireclay as well. Free build lean to a clay and ash mix. By far the most common heat riser cover is a 55 gallon barrel, but there are plenty of other options for that as well. The often overlooked thing is that you still need a chimney to power the system.

I was out there all day yesterday with the door open and the stove burning. A perfect combination for a chilly spring day.
MEBBE you started something
Yes, I know there are other threads about rocket stoves, but I'll start a new one anyway.

I don't know if it will save you any space. I have considered a RMH for my home and those can get huge. If you are just doing a J-tube with a barrel it still takes a good sized footprint.
I have tried to get some discussion started on these here before with little interest. There is some good info on Matt's board at Permsteading.com but the last post was in 2017. Donkey's board is more up to date, but is more advanced at donkey32.proboards.com
I know that the cost can be free if you are good at scrounging material. Peterberg is on both of those above boards and has published a good J-tube design and basically invented the batch box design. I have built small models of both using a plywood mold and clay from my yard. Fire brick is the most common build, fireclay and vermiclite is a good material also. Perilite can be used with fireclay as well. Free build lean to a clay and ash mix. By far the most common heat riser cover is a 55 gallon barrel, but there are plenty of other options for that as well. The often overlooked thing is that you still need a chimney to power the system.
I am gonna watch this for my entertainment (ENLIGHTENMENT) :cheers:

I attended a talk on rocket stove planning and construction they suggested for a garage doing it on the back wall making a low run with it.

on a Rocket mas heater you have the down draft chamber then barrel with the rocket pipe then a long run in masonry often a bench with a clean out at the end it goes down then back and up the normal chimney generally 10-12 feet down and back for the run.

often they have to burn them and shorten the pipe up till they have exhaust gasses hot enough to still rise with a safety margin

they can construct and burn them without finishing the masonry surrounding of the metal pipe.

on a Rocket mas heater you have the down draft chamber then barrel with the rocket pipe then a long run in masonry often a bench with a clean out at the end it goes down then back and up the normal chimney generally 10-12 feet down and back for the run.
In my opinion the bench system used by many is an ugly hack way of doing it. It can be nice having a heated seat. I prefer the bell design as it is more efficient and takes less floorspace. It still has to be sized right for the chimney. Smaller bells or benches will work fine bit you lose more heat up the chimney. It is only a problem if you have to much of a bench run (or oversized bell) for the chimney to get a draft.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Been snowing the last 5-6 days here. Of course we have to be opposite of the rest of the US :surprised3:. 2 weeks ago it was in the upper 50s and even low 60s. To the point where in the sun it was almost too damn hot!

I think everyone has finally opened their garage doors to enjoy the LATE SPRING weather... :barbecue:

There are Rocket heaters.

And there are Rocket Mass heaters.

I think Unc is looking more for a Rocket heater.

Yes, I don't want to heat a mass of cob and mud, nor take 2 hours to build up the room heat that will last for a day or more. But the efficiency and the price tag are certainly attractive.

I bought a bunch of firebrick the other day, and a copy of "The Rocket Mass Heater's Builder's Guide."
I thought I was getting the book form but it was a PDF. Darn it.
Oh well. I have a laser printer, and I printed out the chapters I wanted instead of all 370 some pages.

It's easy to get overwhelmed with all the info. Wow.....

Wanted to razz you by saying I just turned on the A/C yesterday, the thermometer hit 95 F ... What do you need a stove for? Then I got to thinking I cut some elm I snagged from the tree dump and split it yesterday morning...

That’s like the farmer who had a neighbor over when it started to rain. Immediately the roof started leaking and the neighbor said he ought to fix it.
“Can’t fix it now- it’s raining.”
The next day the same neighbor was visiting again and asked if he was going to fix the roof that day.
“What for? It aint leakin’ now.”
;):D:rolleyes:

Wanted to razz you by saying I just turned on the A/C yesterday, the thermometer hit 95 F ... What do you need a stove for? Then I got to thinking I cut some elm I snagged from the tree dump and split it yesterday morning...

No thanks. Woodstove is going here.

Been snowing the last 5-6 days here. Of course we have to be opposite of the rest of the US :surprised3:. 2 weeks ago it was in the upper 50s and even low 60s. To the point where in the sun it was almost too damn hot!

A man after my own heart...

If I could only convince my wife to move to Alaska...

Here in the Mid-Atlantic, Summers routinely get into the 90s with 90%+ humidity... I hate it! I live for the winter months. I'd rather be cold than sweating. Heck, I'll sweat even when it's cold, I'm just wired to run hot at all the times...

A man after my own heart...

If I could only convince my wife to move to Alaska...

Here in the Mid-Atlantic, Summers routinely get into the 90s with 90%+ humidity... I hate it! I live for the winter months. I'd rather be cold than sweating. Heck, I'll sweat even when it's cold, I'm just wired to run hot at all the times...

I wish I lived in PA where it doesn't get so bloody hot! You'd really hate southern IL.

My wife doesn't like summer either, but that's because I keep the AC running so hard.

I wish I lived in PA where it doesn't get so bloody hot! You'd really hate southern IL.

My wife doesn't like summer either, but that's because I keep the AC running so hard.

I looked up the historical weather data in our regional climates and they aren't much different. Seems like ya'll get about 4-5° F warmer than we do here in July, but for the most part they're similar. Hot, humid, and miserable. I've spent plenty of time down south, have family in Tampa, FL and Savannah, GA and it's awful down there. No thanks!

My fishing buddy is just dying to move to Fla. He keeps telling me that it's only nasty hot a few weeks of the year. He says MD is only nice a few weeks of the year. He says much of Fla is pretty cool year round. I went to Disney in Feb and it was in the 90's every day. I'm convinced if there is a cool spot in Fla, it's in a hotel.

Back