Would You Rather Make Cake or Pie? (It's not what you think it is!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would You Rather Make Cake or Pie?

• Total voters
Whatever shapes come out the fastest.

If making more pie is faster then that is what we will do or cake. Since only small knots can be split we go by how many knots are in the round. I have not figured a way to quickly process large knots with out smashing the heck out of them. So far split around the larger knots and then start the generator and run a skil saw across the knots. We usually wait until we have a cord or two of knots then try to break them side ways in the splitter. I would say we get about 75% pie and the rest is cake. Thanks

d32458b9ebc1a768a9fce9e06787ab7d.jpg

Is this cake or pie?
That is the method I want to use!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I let the wood speak to me and I go with the grain. which wasn't an option in voting.

I also use a log splitter so how ever it more easily rotates to want to split again

there is also benefit to having triangles the thinner part reaches critical temp faster than the wide part and thus off-gasses and burns sooner better heating the thick part and getting it going.

overnight wood cakes would be better for slower burn , start up and quick heat wood smaller splits and triangles.

I let the wood speak to me and I go with the grain. which wasn't an option in voting. I also use a log splitter so how ever it more easily rotates to want to split again there is also benefit to having triangles the thinner part reaches critical temp faster than the wide part and thus off-gasses and burns sooner better heating the thick part and getting it going.
overnight wood cakes would be better for slower burn , start up and quick heat wood smaller splits and triangles.

This brings up an important point. Why I do not know. I often have a whole tree to process before I can move onto the next. So I have limbs starting out at 1'' to 1' in diameter so I try to mix the limbs with the split to give some kindling and some very long burning rounds along with the splits. Almost all of my customers believe I am cheating them if most or 75 to 80% of the wood is not split. The rounds that are 10 to 12'' will burn the longest by far so why not have some. Many of my customers have a gas log to start the fires, but those who do not want some kindling and they think they should have it for free along with the regular split. My only feasible option has been to mix split with some limb wood all along. So when splitting big knots I try to mix those also. Especially the Pine knots last twice as long as the split and maybe as long as good Oak. As far as the rest of the wood get it broken down fast. I have noticed with small 14 to 16'' rounds they tend to be pie with the rest being more cake. Thanks

Wow, Joe... that's some glorious firewood. The oak I do get is all gnarled up, and I mostly have white fir and douglas fir. I honestly can't imagine having that many BTU's in my woodshed. Hope you're stocking up.
I am spoiled when it comes to firewood. I only have one Ash tree on my property and the EAB got it. I might mill the largest part, and split the rest. It’ll be the second Ash tree I’ve burned.

I make a modified pieces I call "planks or board split". Thinner but large pieces with way more surface area. Dries much quicker.

2ptclcm.jpg

I'll make big square ones to shore up the ends of the stacks.

epqdex.jpg

I make a modified pieces I call "planks or board split". Thinner but large pieces with way more surface area. Dries much quicker.

2ptclcm.jpg

I'll make big square ones to shore up the ends of the stacks.

epqdex.jpg

I had been admiring your work - and this stack over on another forum. That's some stack, seriously. Appreciate your notes too - your "planks" are my "flicks". Not only will they dry faster they'll burn faster imo... but same amount of btu's either way.

Nice Job!!!

I had been admiring your work - and this stack over on another forum. That's some stack, seriously. Appreciate your notes too - your "planks" are my "flicks". Not only will they dry faster they'll burn faster imo... but same amount of btu's either way.

Nice Job!!!

Yup the same BTU's providing moisture content is the same. I contend this dries faster. I sell out every year and it will be 20% moisture, (red & white oak plus hickory) by Nov.

If moisture content is higher the net BTU content will be less as it takes energy to drive off the moisture. Many say oak needs 2-3 years of seasoning but it can be done in a year. Sure 2 years is better but not real practical for selling. Note, the area mine is stacked get sun all day long with good wind and is off the ground.

It makes no difference to me if I can lift and handle it in the boiler it goes [emoji106]
We just throw onto a pile not stacked
My brother and I have limited time off at the same time so time is more of a factor.

Sent from Hoskey Hills

2ptclcm.jpg

Here's those flicks - what you call planks - off about a 14" Douglas Fir - when the wood is perfect this is my preference - not pie's. Some of the flicks will likely get hit again later for use as starter wood, but 5 easy swings makes 6 handy pieces headed for the stack.

Oh, and I realized something that should always have been obvious: the heartwood has far less moisture content (even when green) than the sapwood, so cutting flicks from mostly sapwood allows them to dry faster while the thicker heartwood pieces (cake) don't need as much time.
four-flicks-and-ome-cake.jpg

I am spoiled when it comes to firewood. I only have one Ash tree on my property and the EAB got it. I might mill the largest part, and split the rest. It’ll be the second Ash tree I’ve burned.
All my mature ash trees are dead or dying. I have a few new saplings that are healthy so maybe I will still have ash for my kids and grandkids.

Well this is an easy game - whatever your opinion is - you WIN!
But I'm guessing some of us prefer one way... or the other, not that we always have a choice... but when we do:

So would you rather split your wood into mostly squares (Cake!) or mostly triangles (Pie!) And why is that?

Observe the picture:
cake-or-Pie.jpg

The ONLY way to loose at this game is to not give the rest of us an answer. And tell us why if you have a reason.

I prefer cake with the larger rounds.For me, it seems the larger rounds are easier to split into cake and the cake are more stable in the stack. Also, cake seems to provide my buttress walls at the end of my stacked run. It also seems to stack more efficiently in the firebox. In the firebox, it seems more efficient than one huge block, due to the air in between each piece. Plus, we have the micro-board baffle over the firebox and the baffle is easy to damage. The cake is easier to fill the firebox without damaging the baffle. For now, I am full of cake, so I will address my share of pie. Pie seems best with smaller rounds while maintaining volume and size. I have to be mindful of how I stack it to prevent the sharper edges from damaging the tarp. The pie shapes do interlock better than cake, and on my silo design, the pie shapes seem to provide more stability. I have had some cake slide right off the silo as the split was placed on the stack.
If I could have my way, I would want all cake. But, since I burn what is waning and fading off in the woods I'll consider myself blessed and take what I get.

I picked pie, I burn in a fireplace and sell mostly to fireplace burners. Most of my customers are either old or they’re fancy pants city folks so they tend to like smaller pieces. I split cake style but instead of leaving them square I smack them once from corner to corner with the fiskars.

I do sell to a few owb guys that buy my “big uglies” and they get all the gnarly stuff/bigger stuff that doesn’t like to split. There’s a guy named jerry who comes and picks up 3-4 cord a year and the dude doesn’t give a **** what it is. I could put a 3’ long 20” diameter log out there and he’d snatch it up. I’m fairly certain he has a newer style topload OWB.

Latest posts

Back