What vehicle to remove <3ton driftwood from beaches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I’m starting a sideline clearing driftwood from local authority beaches (I live on an island where most beaches need to be kept elderly tourist friendly) and am considering what might be a good vehicle to cater for driftwood between 75kg and 3000kg. Obviously needs to be effective lifter/loader and able to operate on a variety of beach surfaces...as cheap as possible...so far I have been focussing on telehandlers like this https://www.ridgwayrentals.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/595-95-AGRI-super-telehandler-spec.pdf

Initially I might rent a vehicle to assess its suitability but will eventually look at buying a cheap used one.

The thing that puts me off using a telehandler is that I won’t really need the high reach capability of these machines so would prefer not to pay for its feature.

Perhaps I’m just looking for a 4wd tractor that can lift up to 3t and lower it onto a flatbed trailer?

Any ideas guys?

6000# is a lot for a tractor. I'm guessing here, but I'd think that you're gonna have to be in the 120hp+ size to get a loader big enough to do that. Maybe a 3 point forklift would let you get away with a smaller tractor, 90hp perhaps. Those hp numbers are just a starting point. Weight and capacity is what they need to look at, but those increase with HP generally. Personally, I'd probably be looking at a large tracked skid steer or an articulating payloader. A used payloader would probably be the cheapest way to get the capacity you need. Whatever you decide on though, have a plan to get it unstuck!

Front end loader with a grapple would be perfect. If not, a regular bucket out front and a chain or two. Get a loader with a 2-3 yard capacity which would equate to 6000 lb lift and then some.
Also, when you travel down the beach, drop the pressure in the tires so the machine will float on the sand. Hard tires will dig into the sand and you won't go anywhere. I've taken loader tires down to 15 lbs and had no problems so long as you don't turn too sharply. Believe me, it works.

Cheap and will reliably pick up 3 tons probably doesn't exist, at least in my part of the world excepting only the occasional military surplus deal. Just minutes ago I finished an 1 1/2 hours session loading and stacking logs with a Cat 299D2, the largest tracked skid steer made by Cat. Its 50% tipping capacity is under 5000#. I am told the purchase price is pushing 100k USD new. Good used ones are 50 to 60k.

If you could get your weight requirements down, a good 6 by 6 military truck with a grapple loader and flotation tires and a winch might work at low tide. Not sure what is available in the UK, but I have seen some pretty interesting pieces of equipment used there.

Ron

First thing that came to mind for me was track loader as well. 3 ton piece of driftwood. Yikes. Can you cut it up into smaller pieces? I would want forks and a grapple.
I could cut it up but over here nice pieces of driftwood (especially heavy ones that people can’t get off the beach themselves) are very valuable; resale of the driftwood in its natural condition will play a huge part in making the business profitable so cutting it up to aid removal (unless it’s crap and destined to be firewood etc) is a no no

A small front end loader like a Cat 930-950 with a grapple bucket. If not then a tracked skid steer and lots more trips with smaller loads.
I’ll have a look at this model and type of machine.,,thanks

My experience on beaches showed me the sand can change a lot from place to place. Dry sand will get you stuck much faster then wet sand. However wet sand can turn to jelly if it's agitated. They make heavy tractors and light ones designed for heavy pulling or light footprint depending on needs. If you go with a tractor, make sure its designed to be light enough not to sink on unstable ground. A tractor mounted back ho with a loader bucket might work. The reason for the back ho is the reach it has and the ability to push yourself out if you get stuck. Or a simple skid steer with tracks might do the job. How solid the sand is, is gonna dictate whats best. You may try renting several types and see how they do first.

7F148339-5A85-43BC-8D48-996E89768AEB.jpeg Thank you all, I have some new things to think about now and I appreciate all of the comments Today’s there’s no work on with v heavy rain so I’m at the yard and will start working my way through these...and others

View attachment 731716 Thank you all, I have some new things to think about now and I appreciate all of the comments Today’s there’s no work on with v heavy rain so I’m at the yard and will start working my way through these...and others

Two things come to mind for this operation. A decent skid steer will do the most work by far and a dump truck will be needed. With my cab over I go many crazy places with out too much trouble. I have about 60 sand bags that I put over the back axle with snow chains on the back when I encounter snow or mud. The sand bags can be unloaded when not needed and moved any where they need to go. I do not mount a winch on my vehicles since I have a portable winch that can pull up to 1,500 with some extra spools. It takes two people to pull the truck from a distance. Or a mid size 4wd will get the job done as a starting place. Some of your load will need to be cut to make pieces into a manageable sizes. Thanks

Tracked skid steer, though would need a big one to be able to safely handle ~6500lbs.

Front end loader or backhoe would be able to lift that, though not sure how well they'd work on sand.

What do others doing the same work use? There's probably a good reason for using whatever they do.

Having looked at your pictures it looks like the beach is fairly rocky and a tracked skid steer may have issues with rocks getting caught up in the tracks. A wheeled machine may be better, if all the beach front is like what is shown in the pictures. Ive never been on a rocky beach like that so I'm just guessing it's fairly stable.

I’d probably want a 953 or 963 for that job. (See attached) A bucket and chains will work, a grapple may work better but it depends on the shape of the material you’re handling. With that said, sand is incredibly abrasive and will eat an undercarriage on one of those machines in a very short period, so a small-mid size rubber tired loader may be better.

Attachments

• 4D7ACBA0-AE05-4154-978C-F77E83CF29BA.jpeg
    4D7ACBA0-AE05-4154-978C-F77E83CF29BA.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DBDB8497-85BD-493A-A14B-A2DCEF67FD44.jpeg
    DBDB8497-85BD-493A-A14B-A2DCEF67FD44.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
Back