"You Suck" Thread 2019--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I ended up selling the 029 and 310. I used the money to buy a tank and handlebar for the 044. When I get it back together, I'm giving it back to my buddy who gave me these saws.
Good on ya Paul! It probably means a lot more to us than it does to them, but putting time into building a nice saw to gift to a friend or family member is really satisfying. Good luck with the build!

The ad headline read, Stihl Chainsaw Case $25
DSCN5934.JPG
But inside...
DSCN5935.JPG

The story goes the previous owner to it to a Stihl shop for carburetor work. The shop partially disassembled the carb and removed the fuel lines, then told the owner it wasn't worth repairing.
So they put the parts into a bag and returned it to him. Seems like a really cheesy business practice to me.
Compression is 130+ and the RB-11 carburetor rebuild kit is a whopping $5. Going to get is running and add it to my collection of old reed valve saws.

View attachment 732813
But inside...
View attachment 732814

The story goes the previous owner to it to a Stihl shop for carburetor work. The shop partially disassembled the carb and removed the fuel lines, then told the owner it wasn't worth repairing.
So they put the parts into a bag and returned it to him. Seems like a really cheesy business practice to me.
Compression is 130+ and the RB-11 carburetor rebuild kit is a whopping $5. Going to get is running and add it to my collection of old reed valve saws.
That's a strong little saw. Same motor that's in the 009L, shown in the vid nearly keeping up with a 200t.

View attachment 732813
But inside...
View attachment 732814

It might sound cheesy at first, but in reality, it’s probably true. Figure plumbers, electricians, and tree guys average $85 to $100 an hour. It takes me a couple hours to pull, rebuild, reinstall a carb. You can pick up a new MS170 on sale for $159. Then you have a brand new saw with a warranty.

IMG_3175.JPG Neighbor stopped by couple days ago, tells me his MS260 won't stay running. I expected he was asking for help but then follows up by saying the dealer looked at it and says it needs a new carb. Rather than throwing $ at an "old saw" he just ordered a new 261CM, instead.
Oh, and would I like his 260 for whatever the repair fee is? This is the sort of fastidious guy who wipes down his mower after each use, so this saw is a peach.
Yes, please!
Got down to the shop this morning, tell them I'm picking up Chuck's saw, as-is (hey, I can rebuild a Walbro), "What do we owe ya?"
"Since he bought a new saw, no charge"
:dancing:

View attachment 733369 Neighbor stopped by couple days ago, tells me his MS260 won't stay running. I expected he was asking for help but then follows up by saying the dealer looked at it and says it needs a new carb. Rather than fiddle around he just ordered a new 261CM, instead.
Oh, and would I like his old saw for whatever the repair fee is? This is the sort of fastidious guy who wipes down his mower after each use, so this saw is a peach.
Yes, please!
Got down to the shop this morning, tell them I'm picking up Chuck's saw, as-is (hey, I can rebuild a Walbro), "What do we owe ya?"
"Since he bought a new saw, no charge"
:dancing:

Well you just shot my theory in the A$%# ,I was just thiking every time I buy a saw cheap it was dirty as hell and thats why it was cheap!

It might sound cheesy at first, but in reality, it’s probably true. Figure plumbers, electricians, and tree guys average $85 to $100 an hour. It takes me a couple hours to pull, rebuild, reinstall a carb. You can pick up a new MS170 on sale for $159. Then you have a brand new saw with a warranty.

I believe that everything is going to that ideology, throw away saws,cars,tools,and probably health care.

I believe that everything is going to that ideology, throw away saws,cars,tools,and probably health care.
Yep. I collect Homelites over 70cc's. But, last year I decided to pick up a couple small saws that we used back in the 70-80's. I bought 6-7 for under $15 each. I had every one running before I left the auction except 1 Super EZ. I had to take it apart and clean it good, then it ran. I have a friend that has an old Blue XL12 that looks like new, in the original case. He keeps it because his dad bought it new. He gets it cleaned out and tuned up every year. He has a small fortune in the saw just because it's a keepsake.

Yep. I collect Homelites over 70cc's. But, last year I decided to pick up a couple small saws that we used back in the 70-80's. I bought 6-7 for under $15 each. I had every one running before I left the auction except 1 Super EZ. I had to take it apart and clean it good, then it ran. I have a friend that has an old Blue XL12 that looks like new, in the original case. He keeps it because his dad bought it new. He gets it cleaned out and tuned up every year. He has a small fortune in the saw just because it's a keepsake.

Sometimes it's nice to hear someone is caring for a saw that's common as grass , hopefully he can pass it down to the next generation and the rest of us will tell them how great those saws where!
Alot like old cars.

Ya, I know the feeling. I'm slowly fixing up a red Homelite 12xl (?) that my grandpa taught me to cut with when I was 8. I'll probably put more than that saw is worth into fixing it, but it's sentimental.

Swapped a new 011 throttle cable for 009 in unknown but tidy looking condition, litte tlc and it runs like a dream, and was given a 268 SE also unknown condition and missing the pull start assembly, feels to have ok compression and a new and incorrectly fitted ignition, if it runs mint I'll buy it some new bits and probably drop the 18" on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190502_211836.jpg
    IMG_20190502_211836.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20190502_211901.jpg
    IMG_20190502_211901.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20190502_211913.jpg
    IMG_20190502_211913.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 21
Small scale suckage...
DSCN5940.JPG

Picked up this little guy in like new condition for $50.
The chain was dull and the kill switch "didn't work".
Bent the kill switch spring and sharpened the chain and it was back to 100%.
I cut up a downed oak tree with it that was 12" in diameter and I was pleasantly surprised how well it cut for a small displacement lightweight saw.

Another day, another saw...
Found a tree service that was turning over their saws and picked up this 046 for $250.
DSCN5943.JPG DSCN5944.JPG

The saw is stock from the factory, but has some gremlins. The piston skirts are clean on both sides and the saw runs well at WOT. It's difficult to start and doesn't idle even with the adjustment screw all the way in.
It could be as simple as a bad decompression valve or perhaps a leaking impulse line or boot. I'm suspecting the decompression valve as despite the clean piston skirts the compression measured less than 100 psi.
Time to tear it down and release the gremlins.

My older brother picked up two "non-running" (and he tried to get the one to run) 346xp's today, a oe and a ne, in trade for some work he did (approx $200's worth). He brought them home, I bought the oe for $110 after he broke the gas cap, and with some gas down the carb both fired. His had a crack in the fuel line so he shortened it and now it runs like a top, mine ran for a while with gas down the carb but the busted gas cap prevented me from any long term testing. Tomorrow after college I'll swing by the saw shop and pick up a fuel cap that isn't the stupid scrench opening style. in the pics mine is the paint splattered one, my brothers is the nice one.
IMG_3027.jpg IMG_3028.jpg IMG_3030.jpg IMG_3032.jpg IMG_3034.jpg IMG_3036.jpg IMG_3033.jpg IMG_3039.jpg IMG_3040.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back