Need help purchasing first chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonhoppin

Reaction score
New to the site and greatly appreciate any help.

This would be the first time purchasing a chainsaw and I have not used one myself, have been around them though. I'm looking at getting an Echo CS-590. The main reason is that I had several large trees cut and need get them down to a manageable size or just make firewood. I do have a few acres and can see the chainsaw coming in handy from time to time.

I will be getting all the correct PPE and a case for it as well. I have decided on this particular item as I have several pieces from Echo, have had great use with all of them, and seeing how this has good reviews.

I would appreciate some feedback if anyone has had some hands on time with it or some good criticism as well. Should I be looking at 18 or 20 inch? I would also like to know if I'm just looking at too much of a chainsaw for me.

I truly appreciate your time.

Welcome to CAD anonymous.

PPE mentioned in your first post.... nice. Many don't even know that chainsaw specific PPE exists. I didn't until I came to this site, then made sure to get some immediately.

New to saws.... watch this paint dry. (BC faller safety training standard)

Yes, it's as boring as any other safety training video series, but there is some really good information.

As for the saw, it sounds like you have it pretty well figured out. You're not going to find a better saw at that price point. Look for information on here about muffler modifications (muffler mod, or just MM) and carburetor tuning (you will need to re-tune it after you do a MM). Don't worry, tuning the carb is actually easier than the EPA would lead you to believe. In fact, on many of the Echo saws, you NEED to retune them out of the box. They have a reputation for being set extremely lean from the factory. Besides, there are a ton of people on this board who are more than willing to help you if you get stuck. Just ask.

The bar..... 18" or 20" - If most of what you cut is close to or larger than 18", go with the 20" bar. Otherwise, I would recommend the 18" for daily use. Get an additional 24" bar for when you need to get through something that is over 36" in diameter. This saw will pull a 24" bar just fine. (or use the "short" bar length to justify getting a larger, 70-80cc saw with a larger bar in the future)

I keep at least 3 chains for each bar length that I'm running. When I dull one in the middle of the day, I swap it out for a sharp one and keep working. Cut wood during the daylight, sharpen chains after dark.

@James Miller
Jim, did I miss anything on the saw?

It’s a great choice for a first saw. Get the 20” bar. Don’t worry about modding the muffler or tuning the carb. It will do all your needing it too straight out of the box. Just be safe, take care of it and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1. You can’t go wrong with an ECHO. Run it stock for a while and put some hours on it. Then you might want to think about adjusting the carb a bit. I have 5 ECHOs that I do most of my cutting with but the only one that I bought new is a CS450 that I picked up several years ago. Just recently I decided to remove the limiters and tune it. It might have a slight amount more pull now but overall I would just say that it still runs great.

In my opinion, the new ECHO products are still as good as the older ones and in some cases even better. I work on quite a few saws and I can’t say the same for many of the other major saw manufacturers.

The 590 has a great reputation for it's power to cost ratio, and it's dependability. But it's a fairly large and heavy saw.
If that's what you need, then that's what you need.

I have the 490 and it's a good deal smaller and lighter, yet is a pretty capable all around saw. When things get a little too big for my 36cc saw, this is the one I reach for most often. It's a peach.
Also, there's often some really good deals to be found on the 490.

Don’t mean to be that guy but you can get a 550xp pro saw with 20” bar for 50$ more. It produces the same power as the 60cc echo, and comes in 3 pounds lighter.
Did I mention pro saw :)?
Just my two cents.
I have learned that weight is everything when your limbing and bucking for even an hour. Lighter saw, more control, first time user means less chance of an accident. Just my two cents

I should also say that if you are still dead set on the echo, for the price IMO it has the best features out of the home owner class saws. Magnesium cases that support an easy to remove cylinder. This makes it allot more versital for repair than a rancher and more robust.

Sounds like you have the right idea in mind as far as buying the right saw is concerned. The only advice i can give that hasnt already been given is get someone you know who uses chainsaws to show you the basics and make sure you dont do anything dangerous. I know no one likes a babysitter and i know you have said you have been around chainsaws but if you have never used one before then you are less likely to lose a limb or even worse if there is someone there to show you the dos and donts.
Using a chainsaw is like casting a fishing rod or driving a car; once you have seen the basic fundamentals in action you can work from there and learn from experience.

And still I would opt for a pro saw. No matter the costs.
1 power to weight.
2 features (like activating the break under g forces)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Where are you located in Ireland?
Sounds like you have the right idea in mind as far as buying the right saw is concerned. The only advice i can give that hasnt already been given is get someone you know who uses chainsaws to show you the basics and make sure you dont do anything dangerous. I know no one likes a babysitter and i know you have said you have been around chainsaws but if you have never used one before then you are less likely to lose a limb or even worse if there is someone there to show you the dos and donts.
Using a chainsaw is like casting a fishing rod or driving a car; once you have seen the basic fundamentals in action you can work from there and learn from experience.

For $399, less 15% if you wait for Echo Customer Appreciation sale, you can’t beat this saw with a 20” bar. Plenty of power and fast. Run a couple tanks thru it, pull the limiters and mod the muff.

For $399, less 15% if you wait for Echo Customer Appreciation sale, you can’t beat this saw with a 20” bar. Plenty of power and fast. Run a couple tanks thru it, pull the limiters and mod the muff.

Ditto. Learn how to sharpen a chain properly, I don't care how many CC's you have if the chain is dull your just wasting time.

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200308557_200308557?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Logging >%20Chainsaw%20Sharpeners%20%2B%20Grinders&utm_campaign=Granberg&utm_content=1976&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkoDmBRCcARIsAG3xzl9g_PCwFxxw_PMENhPNLhxLpC1fb1X6WqbLMwLcnmPq1FqdDdpwpIkaApoAEALw_wcB

I use one similar to this, once it's setup the first time it takes care of the rest.

I ran my 590 bone stock down to the factory tune for almost a year. No problems. Only 550 I ever ran was a choke artist. Wouldn't accelerate of idle gave it back to owner and grabbed my little 490 and went back to work. I'm sure the 550 is a good saw but I haven't got a chance to try another since. The echos aren't fancy but they always seem to work when they should.

Thanks for all the great information from everyone. The 490 seems to be worth a look, didn't consider the weight. The suggestion about having someone come out and help getting me started is something I didn't even think about.

I'm just afraid that I won't use it that much after the initial purpose except maybe once or twice a year. I am the type of person that enjoys having the tool at hand if needed so it's not that big of deal.

The pictures are of the work at hand, hopefully they are clear enough. 20190424_174047.jpg 20190424_174051.jpg 20190424_174115.jpg

Now if there is anyone in the middle TN area that wants to come and get some firewood the only cost would be a class on how to properly use a chainsaw...haha.

Back