Need help purchasing first chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After looking at that wood pile...
CS-490
+1
I think my 590 and 7910 would get the call for the stuff in the top and bottom pics. 490 would get the middle pile easy. Anything over 16" the 490 gets to be slow.
Only thing that makes me think 490 over 590 is the fact he may only use it once a year after that stuffs done.

I wouldn't say the 590 and 7910 are in the same group other than weight wise.
Exactly same weight as the 7910 and exactly the same power output as a 550 xp wich is a kg lighter.
If you had all three, you would never pick up the 590 if the others where running with a sharp chain.
The big advantage of the 590, is the price in the US.
You get a under engineered ( or rugged build ; ) tool for a great price.
I tested one a year ago because of the raving reviews here. But was surprised it was a clearly "farmerssaw".
Compare it with a husky 460, and it is fine.
But that's a lot cheaper over here.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

In your situation, I would get 2 saws. The only reasonable solution.
Having one, is just weird.
A nible saw (wich you will pick 90% of the times after a while) like a Dolkita 5105/husky 550/545 with a 15" bar (nothing against Stihl, I just don't know their range that well since I don't want different bars for the same length).
And a bigger saw. Dolkita 7910 (really can't beat it for the power to weight ratio without pulling a very heavy wallet out for that new Stihl 500), husky 372, 572 576 or 390.
And a third heavy chomper to mill with if you ever want to really get addicted. (Smallest is the Dolkita 9010, Husky 395, 3120 and even I know the Stihl 880)

like someone already said: welcome to CAD anonymous
What is CAD you ask? well lets just say its the most afflicting illness a working man can suffer from.
By this time next year you will probably have a much lighter wallet, near empty bank account, bad credit and a shed full of half working and non-running chainsaws (most of which never get to see the light of day)
Enjoy.

also
Where are you located in Ireland?
im in Roscommon.

OP, in case you are looking for a Dolkita saw and trying to figure out why your search comes up empty:

Dolmar is a German chainsaw mfgr. Makita resells Dolmar chainsaws under the Makita name with Makita colors.... hence Dolkita. In fact, if you find your way to the Dolmar website, if you hit the USA link, it actually takes you to the Makita website.

Pretty cool video on YouTube of a dolkita, in fact probably my favorite chainsaw video ever.
Makita 7900 just screaming and anihilating wood lol

Wow what a monster lol just sounds perfect.

Anyways back on topic.
OP when you get your saw I would highly suggest an anti skip chain for your first chain, and +1 on buying it from a saw store. Big box store warranty and information will be terrible in comparison. This saw should come with an anti skip 3/8 chain but double check with seller.

Thanks for all the great information from everyone. The 490 seems to be worth a look, didn't consider the weight. The suggestion about having someone come out and help getting me started is something I didn't even think about.

I'm just afraid that I won't use it that much after the initial purpose except maybe once or twice a year. I am the type of person that enjoys having the tool at hand if needed so it's not that big of deal.

The pictures are of the work at hand, hopefully they are clear enough. View attachment 732053 View attachment 732054 View attachment 732055

Now if there is anyone in the middle TN area that wants to come and get some firewood the only cost would be a class on how to properly use a chainsaw...haha.
Hard to tell from the picture. But it looks like the largest logs are only around 12 inches or a little more

If this is the case, and you don't ever plan on buying a smaller saw, then I'd definitely lean towards the 490 with an 18" bar and chain. The 18" has a little better balance than a 20" on this saw, and it'll have a little more power with the lighter chain.

New to the site and greatly appreciate any help.

This would be the first time purchasing a chainsaw and I have not used one myself, have been around them though. I'm looking at getting an Echo CS-590. The main reason is that I had several large trees cut and need get them down to a manageable size or just make firewood. I do have a few acres and can see the chainsaw coming in handy from time to time.

I will be getting all the correct PPE and a case for it as well. I have decided on this particular item as I have several pieces from Echo, have had great use with all of them, and seeing how this has good reviews.

I would appreciate some feedback if anyone has had some hands on time with it or some good criticism as well. Should I be looking at 18 or 20 inch? I would also like to know if I'm just looking at too much of a chainsaw for me.

I truly appreciate your time.
The 590s are fine saws i had one for about six year's.
Try to run as many different saws as you can
To see what you personally like.

Try to run as many different saws as you can
To see what you personally like.
+1 Don't test them at the shop, borrow used ones for a week.
At the shop, you'll preffer the one with the sharpest chain, and makes the most noise.
In real life you'll also want the sharpest chain, but combined with the lowest weight you can get away with.

Back